Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

I’ve noticed, btw, that a lot of users are content with the Fluance RT-85. I’ve mulled picking up this set Fluance Reference RT85 High Fidelity Vinyl Turntable with PA10 Phono Preamp and Ai61 Powered 6.5" Bookshelf Speakers, Ortofon 2M Blue Cartridge, 120W Class D Amplifier, Bluetooth (Lucky Bamboo) https://a.co/d/4mfziAq

It looks like a small enough and although I’m budgeting $1500 between the preamp/amp upgrade and new speakers + Sonos Por , I wouldn’t be opposed to saving some money and getting a pre-laid out system.

Wasn’t sure if I should post this here or in the Dark Side thread so I decided here.

Audiolab 6000N Play or Bluesound Node?
Both currently on sale. 1 is 43% off and is $100 cheaper than the Node.

Wasn’t sure if I should post this here or in the Dark Side thread so I decided here.

I have the Node and it's great. But here's an article (which you may have seen already) that briefly talks about the differences between the two in terms of sound.

I think the node would be my choice. I’ve heard that the audiolab sounds really good but that it’s onboard software and control app is just a complete and utter ballache.

I’ve noticed, btw, that a lot of users are content with the Fluance RT-85. I’ve mulled picking up this set Fluance Reference RT85 High Fidelity Vinyl Turntable with PA10 Phono Preamp and Ai61 Powered 6.5" Bookshelf Speakers, Ortofon 2M Blue Cartridge, 120W Class D Amplifier, Bluetooth (Lucky Bamboo) https://a.co/d/4mfziAq

It looks like a small enough and although I’m budgeting $1500 between the preamp/amp upgrade and new speakers + Sonos Por , I wouldn’t be opposed to saving some money and getting a pre-laid out system.
I don't know about the full package, but they look really nice. The bamboo and walnut options would fit most rooms aesthetically without drawing too much attention to the equipment if that's important. I almost went for the Fluance 85, and it is a great sounding table at that price. I know I'd have been happy with it, but I went a different route with a NAD table.

I think it mostly depends on if you want to save some money. On the one hand, you could build a "better" system with $1500 buying individual components. But on the other, depending on what you're after this would probably look and sound good enough for most folks and save you money. With the table as the core you could then upgrade other components if you wanted down the line.

So I could run all analogue via the NAD316 and connect the port to it to deliver signal to Sonos devices? Hence having the best of both worlds? If that’s the case… this is how I win.

In that case, I’ll probably run an Orbit UTurn with a Grado Gold3, a decent pre-amp (I believe I have one on hand), direct to the NAD316 and output sound to a pair of Warfendale Denton 80’s (bookshelf config). And then top off with the Port if I want to stream to the Arc (whenever we have guests).

Eventually I’ll upgrade the table to a Pioneer PLX-100 direct drive or a Technics 1200 since I really do hate flutter and wow and replacing table belts. I assume those tables don’t have the same motor sound issues as, say, the At-120.

If anyone could advise me if there’s a smaller form amp/preamp that could fit my purposes (full analogue for personal listening while allowing for play back via Sonos for events at home) that’d be great.

I suppose I could skip bookshelf speakers and go after a pair of headphones instead… At that rate, I would get Grados.

The preamp in the NAD actually gets really good press as a starter piece so you could start out with it and put the extra for a preamp to nicer speakers or a better table and use an outboard preamp as a nice upgrade for the future. The sonos port would connect twice to the NAD. Its input would connect to the tape out of the NAD to allow you to send anything going through it to another room. It’s output would connect to one of the NADs inputs to allow to to stream music through that system.

For smaller there was someone on here who bought the PS Audio Sprout 100, paired it with a walnut orbit and walnut dentons and really liked it. Again it has a decent phono stage to start with so the separate could be a future upgrade. It is a decent amount more expensive than the NAD though.

Last edited:

I had this setup for a short time. I felt the DSP they used in Fluance’s active speakers was quite hyped, but that’s not to say it’s a bad sound - just wasn’t necessarily what I was looking for out of the format. Definitely a lot of energy!

Spent a little time with the Meze 99 Noirs and different earpads.

Picked up the sheepskin and hybrid sheepskin/velvet third party pads from Brainwawz.

After some back and forth, I think the pair of pads that comes in the box with the Meze's, the extra pair with the dampening foam instead of the thinner material, provides the best sound balance of the bunch.

The Brainwavez pads all have the thinner material to cover the drivers. Also, the padding is thicker, so the volume of space inside the cup becomes larger than the OEM's. To my ears, this arrangement subdues the bass and emphasizes the high frequencies. The velvet makes these the most comfortable to wear though.

The OEM's I liked best, with the dampening foam, make the cans sit a little closer to the ears. The combination of the foam and the placement closer to the ears (because the padding is not as thick as the Brainwavz), seems to subdue the high frequencies and makes the bass richer than with the Brainwavez to my ears. These are also preferable to the other set of OEM's which are identical save for the use of thinner material instead of foam to cover the drivers.

Overall, I'm surprised there was this much difference. I was expecting changes in comfort, but not this much in sound. Would be interesting to hear the Brainwavez with a dampening foam to see if that's what is causing the sound difference, or whether it's the volume of space inside the cups. I imagine it's a little of both.

Last edited:
Thoughts on the Music Hall Classic vs. A Fluance Rt-85? Creeping closer to just getting a fucking Mofi turntable.
I love my MoFi Ultradeck…also wouldn’t be afraid to buy open box from a reputable retailer to save some cash…

I know you were trying to incorporate Sonos. Personally, I just use Sonos for streaming and never bothered with trying to get my turntable to connect to it. Seemed more trouble than it’s worth and trying to play a record in one room and listen to it in another stopped appealing to me when I realized id still have to go flip the record every 10-20 minutes haha.

If you know you want a direct drive for sure, I’d just save up for that and skip the in-between step of a music hall or Fluance. There was a nice sale on a technics at B&H but not sure when that ends.

Last edited:
The preamp in the NAD actually gets really good press as a starter piece so you could start out with it and put the extra for a preamp to nicer speakers or a better table and use an outboard preamp as a nice upgrade for the future. The sonos port would connect twice to the NAD. Its input would connect to the tape out of the NAD to allow you to send anything going through it to another room. It’s output would connect to one of the NADs inputs to allow to to stream music through that system.

For smaller there was someone on here who bought the PS Audio Sprout 100, paired it with a walnut orbit and walnut dentons and really liked it. Again it has a decent phono stage to start with so the separate could be a future upgrade. It is a decent amount more expensive than the NAD though.
@David A. The NAD won’t work for you as it has no line level/tape out capability.

I love my MoFi Ultradeck…also wouldn’t be afraid to buy open box from a reputable retailer to save some cash…

I know you were trying to incorporate Sonos. Personally, I just use Sonos for streaming and never bothered with trying to get my turntable to connect to it. Seemed more trouble than it’s worth and trying to play a record in one room and listen to it in another stopped appealing to me when I realized id still have to go flip the record every 10-20 minutes haha.

If you know you want a direct drive for sure, I’d just save up for that and skip the in-between step of a music hall or Fluance. There was a nice sale on a technics at B&H but not sure when that ends.
I’ve ditched my Sonos aspirations. It just doesn’t seem practical.

So, for the sake of audio quality integrity with the desire to maintain a small footprint, here’s what I’ve decided on (RIP My Wallet).

U-Turn Orbit Custom with Grado Gold 3 cart > PS 100 > Warfendale Denton 80’s.

Eventually I’ll upgrade to a Rega P3 ? I don’t think there’s a need to update the tt currently.

I was feeling really dirty earlier when spewing out a Music Box Classics > Klipsh Fives setup. But apperently there are no powered speakers that exist that have decent phonon stages?

Last edited:
I’ve ditched my Sonos aspirations. It just doesn’t seem practical.

So, for the sake of audio quality integrity with the desire to maintain a small footprint, here’s what I’ve decided on (RIP My Wallet).

U-Turn Orbit Custom with Grado Gold 3 cart > PS 100 > Warfendale Denton 80’s.

Eventually I’ll upgrade to a Rega P3 ? I don’t think there’s a need to update the tt currently.

I was feeling really dirty earlier when spewing out a Music Box Classics > Klipsh Fives setup. But apperently there are no powered speakers that exist that have decent phonon stages?
The wharfedale Dentons are nice little speakers. And seem to always be on sale for $500. I got open box ones at music direct for $350 and they looked brand new.

So it looks like the new NAD regular edition does come with a wood grain look vinyl vs the limited which is long sold out and has actual walnut around it.

So it looks like the new NAD regular edition does come with a wood grain look vinyl vs the limited which is long sold out and has actual walnut around it.

Looks nice!

Unfortunately it doesn’t. I chatted with Upscale when the listing first went up. It’ll have the typical black NAD case. I think they are still just using the LE picture.

EDIT: Oh I guess they did update the picture. Looks legit!

Unfortunately it doesn’t. I chatted with Upscale when the listing first went up. It’ll have the typical black NAD case. I think they are still just using the LE picture.
Unlike the limited edition C 3050 LE, the C 3050 will have the BluOS MDC 2.0 module as an add-on option, and will come wrapped in a wood grain look vinyl, rather than actual walnut.

this is what it says on the listing now and what was in their email newsletter this AM.

Back