Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

@Joe Mac or anyone else who might have insight.

Awhile back you mentioned the ifi zen stream. Is it just something you are aware of or have you used one?

Basically I'm looking for something to stream my 200+GB digital music library. I don't plan on using my PC (although the files are on there too). I am going to set up a NAS to my router and the Zen Stream looks like it should fit the bill.

I don't use any online streaming services so I don't need anything like that.

Not super concerned with whatever it uses for digital-to-audio, as I'm going to use a digital-in on my Marantz SA-KI Ruby.

Also looking at a Yamaha WXC-50 that is ~$100 more. However, it includes some features that are superfluous to me and it is a bigger form factor (although it can be set up vertically). The Zen Stream is a nice, small unit. Basically, not looking for a real estate hog.

Thoughts? Anyone feel free to chime in.

The zen had software issues initially. But I’ve heard really good things about it and I really like volumio which is the software it is built off so…

I haven’t had an opportunity to buy a new streamer yet. My cd player also went on the blink so now I’m trying to save towards both so it’s going to take a bit longer.

If you want to have a go yourself a raspberry pi and a HiFiBerry DAC hat is probably all in for €100. Can use the public distribution of volumio, does all you want it to and it seriously betters units a fair whack more expensive (I preferred it to sonos connect/port).

Last edited:
@Joe Mac or anyone else who might have insight.

Awhile back you mentioned the ifi zen stream. Is it just something you are aware of or have you used one?

Basically I'm looking for something to stream my 200+GB digital music library. I don't plan on using my PC (although the files are on there too). I am going to set up a NAS to my router and the Zen Stream looks like it should fit the bill.

I don't use any online streaming services so I don't need anything like that.

Not super concerned with whatever it uses for digital-to-audio, as I'm going to use a digital-in on my Marantz SA-KI Ruby.

Also looking at a Yamaha WXC-50 that is ~$100 more. However, it includes some features that are superfluous to me and it is a bigger form factor (although it can be set up vertically). The Zen Stream is a nice, small unit. Basically, not looking for a real estate hog.

Thoughts? Anyone feel free to chime in.
The digital thread has been helpful for me to build my system…

How accurate is the RPM app? I had suspicions that my tt was running a little slow, possibly from leaving the belt on 45 and stretching it. The app had given me readings from high 32 to low 33. 33.12 was the fastest I believe. I have a Rega Planar 2 that had the white belt upgrade added which has been on since purchase. I was going to just get a new white belt but it went out of production by the time I was ready to get it. The newer Rega EBLT was released and from what I could tell it was a suitable replacement so I finally pulled the trigger and it arrived today. Comparing the two in size it was easy to see the white belt was longer. I put the new belt on and now I’m getting readings on the app up to 34. Does it need time to wear in?

Edit: played a digital alongside a song on the tt and did indeed start to go out of sync. So the app is correct in that it’s now faster.
Regas are known to run a bit fast. Some have said it gives them a more lively sound. My RP40 with the white belt runs between 33.5 and 33.6 from my phone. I'm using an app called RPM Speed and Wow on an Android. When I use that app on my Reloop 7000mk2 direct drive, it's basically spot on at 33.33 or 45.0.

I think that app is fairly accurate, at least enough that my untrained ears cannot hear a noticable difference.

I did have a vintage Yamaha belt drive that was running slow, about 32.5 to 32.8. I could definitely hear that it was slow. I put one very light coating of clear nail polish on the belt spindle/motor and that brought the speed up to 33.3 rpm.

Anyone have any opinions on Mark Levinson gear?

Just humor me.
High performance, high priced, but performance is not genuinely commensurate with the price.

Mark Levinson, to me, is where one crosses the threshold from incremental audio performance gain into the point of audio jewelry. Of course, there are units that are even more “jewel-worthy”, but ML sits right at that boundary.

Viable! I’ve bought several items from them. Sometimes they’ll come back saying they are out of stock, but will offer new product at a steep discount.

I've gotten a few things from them, used and new, no issues at all. And I share @kvetcha's comment on the OOS offers.
Great to hear. Thank-you, gentlemen!

Okay... VPI PRIME 21 turntable. I can't really find anything wrong with it. Anyone have any opinions regarding what I should be finding wrong with it? Any downsides? I think there's a few members here who have this one? Maybe?

Last edited:
I’ve been looking hard at VPIs, too. The only downsides might not be downsides for you: size, outboard motor, lack of electronic speed control. The HiFi News review did suggest it was more of a warm presentation than strictly neutral. That’s about it. The 1200G fans may have more rebuttal to offer.

I’ve been looking hard at VPIs, too. The only downsides might not be downsides for you: size, outboard motor, lack of electronic speed control. The HiFi News review did suggest it was more of a warm presentation than strictly neutral. That’s about it. The 1200G fans may have more rebuttal to offer.
That speed control and need to swap for 45s is the only downside that really resonates with me so far. A slightly warm skew would actually work well with my rig. I've decided I absolutely need a table with a screw down clamp going forward, and there are few that come with one. I was already considering the VPIs but I think this might be the end game path that makes sense. I can get an insane deal on Mark Levinson and could get a no. 5105 for less than half of retail, but I just do not like the look of those tables at all. Despite the fact that I'm sure it's a very very good table.

What's the perceived downside of an outboard motor?

Last edited:
That speed control and need to swap for 45s is the only downside that really resonates with me so far. A slightly warm skew would actually work well with my rig. I've decided I absolutely need a table with a screw down clamp going forward, and there are few that come with one. I was already considering the VPIs but I think this might be the end game path that makes sense. I can get an insane deal on Mark Levinson and could get a no. 5105 for less than half of retail, but I just do not like the look of those tables at all. Despite the fact that I'm sure it's a very very good table.

What's the perceived downside of an off-outboard motor?
Can you get one of these? Because I want to know if I should save up. It's SOOOOOOOOOOO PRETTY!!!!!:

Can you get one of these? Because I want to know if I should save up. It's SOOOOOOOOOOO PRETTY!!!!!:
That is absolutely beautiful. Interesting makeup, some Bang and Olufsen, some VPI and some proprietary. That's definitely a looker. How about you get it and then tell me, I feel like shipping is gunna be a bitch to Canada.

That is absolutely beautiful. Interesting makeup, some Bang and Olufsen, some VPI and some proprietary. That's definitely a looker. How about you get it and then tell me, I feel like shipping is gunna be a bitch to Canada.
I feel like I will die before I save enough. I also feel like I would die when it showed up at the house (either that or my wife sends me to your basement to allow you the pleasure)...

I also feel like if I buy your $12K turntable/furniture, you should ship it for free to the moon if needed.... (well maybe not the moon - it's a spaceship anyhow)

I also feel like if I buy your $12K turntable/furniture, you should ship it for free to the moon if needed.... (well maybe not the moon - it's a spaceship anyhow)
Agreed. I actually looked to see if the website quoted shipping and I didn't see any mention of it. Which in my experience tends to be similar to walking into a store which has no price tags on anything. If you have to ask...

Back