Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

@Joe Mac I was also able to get 10% off (savings of $104) 😌

Nice! Did you remember to get the extra set of RCA cables too? I’m sure you did but better safe than sorry. The settings I found sounded best for the 2M were MM 300uF and without the 6dB boost but it allows you to change settings as you listen so you can have a play around.

Nice! Did you remember to get the extra set of RCA cables too? I’m sure you did but better safe than sorry. The settings I found sounded best for the 2M were MM 300uF and without the 6dB boost but it allows you to change settings as you listen so you can have a play around.
Shit! I did not 😕

Since the NAD gear showed up and I’ve decided it’s definitely staying, I ended up rearranging the gear in my rack.

This necessitated moving the Sutherland Duos farther away from the Ultradeck. I’ve been chasing a low level hum since- only when using the turntable.

Last night I checked everything. I changed the connection from the Ultradeck from the Sutherlands to the NAD. The hum was still there but at a lower level. Totally expected- I’ve got the Sutherland set at 46 dB gain- the NAD is fixed at 40 dB.

My wife was here and said “I don’t get what everything does, but the Sutherlands sound way better.” They do. They should, given their cost.

Then I changed the Blue Jeans LC1 from the NAD back to the Sutherland. Hum is louder along with the output. I had a Pangea phono cable in my junk drawer. I tried that. Hum was horrible. This points me to a cable issue.

Then I remembered that some years back I got a bad pair of Blue Jeans LC-1s- they were noisy with a low level hum. I thought I’d returned them. Now I wondered if I returned them at all.

So I ordered another set of RCA cables to see if my diagnosis was correct. But I decided to try something different. I spent a whopping $ 9.34 for a 3 foot pair of KabelDirekt cables from Amazon. They appeared to be well shielded, and are low capacitance, although not as low as Blue Jeans LC-1. Grado says that capacitance doesn’t matter with their cartridges anyway. And the German made KabelDirekt is far lower capacitance than some far more expensive (by 15-45 times) phono cables I’ve seen.

Installed them tonight. Hum is gone. They seem to have a bit more sparkle up top (a good thing given that’s where Grado loses in comparison to more expensive MC cartridges.) The higher capacitance will affect top octave frequency response. They seem to be very well constructed.

At the price, I don’t see how you can go wrong. The Blue Jeans LC-1 certainly is a great value, but along with many other things lately, their price has jumped. The KabelDirect does what it’s supposed to do. It’s quiet. It sounds great. It’s not only a great alternative to using the junk cables most gear is supplied with, but can serve well in higher end systems. I don’t mind spending money on gear, but I find most cables to be horribly overpriced and some to honestly not be suited to high end audio applications at all- exactly the market they are targeting. I see lots of smoke and mirrors when it comes to audio cables.

All I think is needed when it comes to RCA cables is good shielding, low resistance and capacitance along with quality connectors. The KabelDirect RCAs offer all of my requirements at a bargain basement price. You’d spend more than a ten spot to build these yourself.

View attachment 129920

This was the post @Hollywood

Who wants to bet that this is €15 for a 30ml tube of PVA glue with a “vinyl cleaner” sticker put on it?

Considering that you can get a 5 litre jug of PVA glue for €15.95 it’s pretty shady behavour!

Who wants to bet that this is €15 for a 30ml tube of PVA glue with a “vinyl cleaner” sticker put on it?

Considering that you can get a 5 litre jug of PVA glue for €15.95 it’s pretty shady behavour!

It's most certainly wood glue. I mean look at her, she already got her hand stuck to her face LOL

1646069200287.png

It's most certainly wood glue. I mean look at her, she already got her hand stuck to her face LOL

View attachment 130594
Oh thank GOD finally a method for removing the vinyl crackles so that you can clearly hear your record being played on a suitcase Crosley while your 25 cent needle adds that crackle right back.

Back