Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Final dad audiophile stereo update. The last part of his gift was the Kind Of Blue Mofi SACD. It's one of his favorite albums. He's spinning it right now and just sent me this:

"Miles has arrived. The presence is so real I'm afraid I may have to score some blow just to keep him happy."

So, if you've ever looked at my posts and thought: "What the fuck is wrong with that guy? Where did he come from?"
There's your answer.
Feeding the bliss......I love it!

Final dad audiophile stereo update. The last part of his gift was the Kind Of Blue Mofi SACD. It's one of his favorite albums. He's spinning it right now and just sent me this:

"Miles has arrived. The presence is so real I'm afraid I may have to score some blow just to keep him happy."

So, if you've ever looked at my posts and thought: "What the fuck is wrong with that guy? Where did he come from?"
There's your answer.
My dad and I did not agree on everything, but in his final years the best memory I have was of listening to music on his great McIntosh tube rig (MC30's (one was his original mono built from a kit!), MX110, MCD7000, VPI, Cornwall's) and watching movies with him.

@AnthonyI , i gotta bother you once again. i think you had both the AT VM95ML and the Opus 3. do you think its a noticeable jump from one to another ? cheers
@AnthonyI posted this cartridge ranking awhile back, he didn't mention the AT-VM95ML here
So here's my list for those interested. I touched on it a bit above, but here's the official "upgrade" path. When you look at this the following is implied, that each step will bring better sound than the previous with the cost also being taken into consideration. These are MY opinions based on listening to all of these over time on MY gear. I can't bring myself to go near and or over the $1K mark.

Goldring E3 MM
Threaded body - Replaceable stylus
$170.00 (Stylus $125.00)

Grado Gold v3 MM
Nut and screw - Replaceable stylus
$260.00 (Stylus - Highly recommend replacing it with an 8MZ $175.00)

Grado Opus3 MM
Threaded body - High and Low Output available
$265 (Stylus - Factory replacement/exchange 20% discount)

Goldring 1042 MM
Threaded body - Replaceable stylus
$575.00 (Stylus $375.00)

Ortofon Quintet Blue MC
Threaded body
$525 (Stylus - Factory replacement/exchange 25% discount)

Hana SL MC
Nut and screw - High and Low Output available
$750 (Stylus - Factory replacement/exchange 30% discount)

Honorable Mention:
Ortofon Quintet Bronze MC

Threaded body
$840 (Stylus - Factory replacement/exchange 30% discount)
Great cart, but it didn't make the list based on sound quality and cost compared to the Hana SL sitting as my favorite. While sounding really good, the Hana, for me, has a better sound signature and a tab bit more warm. I couldn't justify the purchase price and upkeep cost compared to the Hana SL.
EDIT: found this quote from him, which would place the VM95ML at the bottom of his rankings, well below the Opus3
I've had the VM95ML. which I liked, but still like the E3 a little more, it's more full bodied than the AT in my opinion.

Last edited:
@AnthonyI , i gotta bother you once again. i think you had both the AT VM95ML and the Opus 3. do you think its a noticeable jump from one to another ? cheers

@AnthonyI posted this cartridge ranking awhile back, he didn't mention the AT-VM95ML here

EDIT: found this quote from him, which would place the VM95ML at the bottom of his rankings, well below the Opus3
...........ya'll didn't know I had a personal assistant did you? ;)

Opus3 over the AT for sure, and on the more "budgety" end I still have to give props to the E3 over the AT as well.............again, just my opinion on my rig/s ;)

There's your answer.

Are you going to be a great son and score him some blow?

The DD is out of reach even with my hook up. The 1601 is doable though... Seems overpriced to me though...

Would you be able to audition it? There are a lot of very nice tables around that price point. Well there isn’t going to be too much shit if you’re paying the best part of €4k! I suppose if you could audition against other brands they carry it might help you figure it out!

Back