Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

I know there is a tube thread, but how often do you tube owners replace tubes? What’s the typical cost? Seeing the price of tubes has me steering clear even with all the glowing reviews.

It really depends on the amplifier you go for to be honest. Some amps drive them harder than others and tubes don’t necessarily wear evenly in use. You will also occasionally get a bad one.

This is where the PrimaLuna amps, with their lower plate voltage to the tubes and adaptive auto bias letting you only switch out the bad/worn tube for a new, come into their own.

Last edited:
Some interesting critiques in this video.
How much is the table responsible for bass output? I feel like the bulk of that responsibility should come from the cartridge. So comparing the Pro to the Fluance with the Blue doesn’t seem fair.
He really feels disappointed that there is no onboard pre amp with the Pro. That should be a good thing. He then pairs the Pro with the Pluto phono pre and even though I’ve never heard one, I’d imagine it’s along the lines of the Mani or maybe less? But my biggest takeaway was that the Pro was shown connected to the Decware and he never talks about their relationship. Only the Audiolab and McIntosh. It does look like the Pro is just a modified Evo but what do I know. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Jesus, I spend too much time here and on YT

Last edited:
How much is the table responsible for bass output? I feel like the bulk of that responsibility should come from the cartridge. So comparing the Pro to the Fluance with the Blue doesn’t seem fair.
He really feels disappointed that there is no onboard pre amp with the Pro. That should be a good thing. He then pairs the Pro with the Pluto phono pre and even though I’ve never heard one, I’d imagine it’s along the lines of the Mani or maybe less? But my biggest takeaway was that the Pro was shown connected to the Decware and he never talks about their relationship. Only the Audiolab and McIntosh. It does look like the Pro is just a modified Evo but what do I know. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Jesus, I spend to much time here and on YT

Wrong thread buddy plus I beat you to it 😜

Jesus, I spend too much time here and on YT

Yeah I’m not his biggest fan by a long stretch and I agree with you in pretty much all your takeaways. His videos seem more about sheen and production values more than anything else. That said I’ve yet to find a YouTube reviewer or music vlogger that doesn’t make me gag slightly so maybe I’m not the best judge.

Yeah I’m not his biggest fan by a long stretch and I agree with you in pretty much all your takeaways. His videos seem more about sheen and production values more than anything else. That said I’ve yet to find a YouTube reviewer or music vlogger that doesn’t make me gag slightly so maybe I’m not the best judge.
<-------scraps plan to start a channel ;)

For the most part, I enjoy the videos that I do watch. I don’t watch any of his home theater reviews because I’m not interested and I definitely don’t watch the videos that have higher end gear because I’ll never be able to buy it, BUT I’ll be watching that McIntosh video when it drops because I’m a sucker for lights 😁
The production is top notch and I do enjoy listening to what his wife thinks although I do think his facial expressions to her are a bit cheeky.

I think he has one of the better hifi and audio YT channels out there 🤔 His delivery as a reviewer and the production is on point 👉 I don't always agree with his reviews or opinions but that's fine because his opinion is only one amongst a sea of them 😉

For the most part, I enjoy the videos that I do watch. I don’t watch any of his home theater reviews because I’m not interested and I definitely don’t watch the videos that have higher end gear because I’ll never be able to buy it, BUT I’ll be watching that McIntosh video when it drops because I’m a sucker for lights 😁
The production is top notch and I do enjoy listening to what his wife thinks although I do think his facial expressions to her are a bit cheeky.
I watch all this stuff with a grain of salt and find myself ignoring thumbnails that have "Vinyl Haul" "Grail at a garage sale" "My most expensive records" "Is [insert whatever here] snake oil" and "This is a gamechanger" and so on ;)

<-------scraps plan to start a channel ;)

Hahaha! I think that reviewing stuff is a more difficult art than the vlogger culture would have you believe and a lot of these tend to go three ways:

1. Style over substance: ie beautiful people and production values and “this sounds amazing” but little background as to why or what makes it stand out.
2. Dry: All that technical stuff at great and exhaustive length. Perfect for those nights you have insomnia.
3. Bullshit artists.

I think this fella falls firmly into 1. A perfect review should fall somewhere between 1 and 2 and it’s a balancing act.

Also the whole thing that vlogs have largely enabled the swathes of uninformed and opinionated bores to think that they’re important and influencing stuff.

I think he has one of the better hifi and audio YT channels out there 🤔 His delivery as a reviewer and the production is on point 👉 I don't always agree with his reviews or opinions but that's fine because his opinion is only one amongst a sea of them 😉

It’s not always about the opinions tbh. I may often agree with his opinion on a piece of gear but that doesn’t necessarily make him a good reviewer in my book. Just an enthusiast who gets to hear lots of good gear. See my post above.

Hahaha! I think that reviewing stuff is a more difficult art than the vlogger culture would have you believe and a lot of these tend to go three ways:

1. Style over substance: ie beautiful people and production values and “this sounds amazing” but little background as to why or what makes it stand out.
2. Dry: All that technical stuff at great and exhaustive length. Perfect for those nights you have insomnia.
3. Bullshit artists.

I think this fella falls firmly into 1. A perfect review should fall somewhere between 1 and 2 and it’s a balancing act.

Also the whole thing that vlogs have largely enabled the swathes of uninformed and opinionated bores to think that they’re important and influencing stuff.
Agree, and while the notion has crossed my mind, does YT really need another person talking about this hobby?

More so I've come to one conclusion and it even reflects on what I say or don't say around here anymore. Everything in our hobby has so many variables, most of which are dependent on the user. Equipment, room, pressing, all those things factor in, so when anyone says ABC sounds great for these reasons, you need to be mindful enough to understand YMMV.

I've started including that little disclosure as of late ".............on my system" ;)

I still think the more opinions the better, then make your choice based on the information that's important to you.

...............YT is entertaining.

Agree, and while the notion has crossed my mind, does YT really need another person talking about this hobby?

More so I've come to one conclusion and it even reflects on what I say or don't say around here anymore. Everything in our hobby has so many variables, most of which are dependent on the user. Equipment, room, pressing, all those things factor in, so when anyone says ABC sounds great for these reasons, you need to be mindful enough to understand YMMV.

I've started including that little disclosure as of late ".............on my system" ;)

I still think the more opinions the better, then make your choice based on the information that's important to you.

...............YT is entertaining.

Yeah I get that. I think on here the caveat is largely that, bar one or two, we’re all just music fans sharing our experiences with the gear we have or have had. As such we aren’t really trying to review gear so much as just saying we like or don’t like this thing. Like you’d suggest something to a mate or work colleague looking to get started.

For YouTube I couldn’t do it. For someone whose job is speaking in public I couldn’t put myself out to the internet like that and the ideas of having to edit videos whilst hearing my recorded voice 🤮🤮🤮

Truth be told, this may have been the true reason for not doing it, lol

It’s funny I’ve had to do recorded pieces for all my lawyer qualifications and subsequent diplomas. Before Covid they were one take done live recordings in an exam setting. No problem, nailed it every time.

Last one I did was during Covid so had to record and submit. Became really nervous and self conscious because I had multiple opportunities and could watch it back. Took far far too many takes and cringing to get it right!

To be fair, Andrew did say that other users experience with the Pro would be different than his but it’s still going to bother me that he didn’t talk about the Decware.

I started watching him with his Vinyl Sucks video and I enjoy his “the only person that has to like the sound of your system is you” tagline. He has other views that I find interesting and probably agree with but I won’t mention them here 😁

It’s not always about the opinions tbh. I may often agree with his opinion on a piece of gear but that doesn’t necessarily make him a good reviewer in my book. Just an enthusiast who gets to hear lots of good gear. See my post above.
I personally think there's added value in his videos 📹 and whether he is a "reviewer" or just an "enthusiast reporting all things hifi and home theater 🎥 is irrelevant to me as he is simply a source which introduces people to new and cool products/gear ⚙ not to mention he opens up the discussion on hifi and AV Tech to help grow the hobby. 🤷‍♂️

Back