Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Saw a used listing for a Yamaha A-S2000 integrated amplifier in excellent condition that I was curious about. Does anyone have an opinion on how it would match with a Sutherland Insight preamp and Wharfedale Lintons? I'd be running an Oppo into it along with a turntable, that I'd be looking to upgrade in the next year (currently a uturn, but probably shooting for something in the 1500-3500 range).
It seems to have a good rep, 90W @8ohms would be fine for power, came with a 5 yr warranty, smooth Natural Sound. I would just be careful and make sure it does not have any issues seeing it's about 10 years old now. Maybe @HiFi Guy can comment on how Sutherland would work with it.

There are some good tables out there in your range, Clearaudio, MoFi, Michell, Technics, Linn, VPI, etc. I would look for a used VPI Classic (great build & sound, hand built in NJ, and parts always available)

Saw a used listing for a Yamaha A-S2000 integrated amplifier in excellent condition that I was curious about. Does anyone have an opinion on how it would match with a Sutherland Insight preamp and Wharfedale Lintons? I'd be running an Oppo into it along with a turntable, that I'd be looking to upgrade in the next year (currently a uturn, but probably shooting for something in the 1500-3500 range).
I have no personal experience with this amp, no reason to disagree with @JohnnyCashFan (though this may have some relevance to his caution about the age of the unit), and no feel for how much what hi-fi's reviews should be trusted, but no harm in being aware of multiple viewpoints:

I have no personal experience with this amp, no reason to disagree with @JohnnyCashFan (though this may have some relevance to his caution about the age of the unit), and no feel for how much what hi-fi's reviews should be trusted, but no harm in being aware of multiple viewpoints:

Whether it’s good or bad or indifferent even a top of the charts amp with “an overly relaxed sound” may not be the best partner for the Linton, might be a bit too sweet.

So if I'm looking at $1500 or less, does anyone have amplifier recommendations to pair with the Wharfedale Lintons? I don't know if I wanted to go all the way up to the Prima Luna price point (I may still, but wouldn't be for a while).

So if I'm looking at $1500 or less, does anyone have amplifier recommendations to pair with the Wharfedale Lintons? I don't know if I wanted to go all the way up to the Prima Luna price point (I may still, but wouldn't be for a while).
@MikeH paired his Lintons with an audiolab amp in that price range to good results.

My feeling is that your table and amplifier budgets are back to front. If it was me I’d be thinking that a Technics 1200/1210GR, StudioDeck and a few others would be brilliant tables all at or around $1500. The higher budget would give some scope then for some pretty magic amps to add in. On the other hand that audiolab does sound like a really worthy option at its price point.

Last edited:
I got a cool gift today that I don't really understand

Drop + THX AAA 789 Linear Amplifier

I understand that it is a headphone amp, but do I need this if I already have a Marantz receiver that I can use to listen with headphones?
How does the vintage Marantz sound/work with your current headphones ? If it sounds fine you shouldn't need the Drop.

As @dansomeone said, I recently got an Audiolab 6000A and am enjoying it paired with the Lintons! Got an open box one for $800.

I understand that it is a headphone amp, but do I need this if I already have a Marantz receiver that I can use to listen with headphones?

For standard headphones the marantz will likely be fine. Some people do prefer a dedicated headphone amp and if you have harder to drive headphones it’s definitely a good option. Connect it to a tape out on the marantz and give it a try, see how it sounds, you might prefer it for headphone listening!

My Klipsch powered bookshelf speakers are developing an unpleasant hiss and I’m looking to move on. I do like the brand and am considering the passive equivalent Amazon product ASIN B07FKH3VPV
The problem is, I don’t have an amp and I don’t want to break the bank. Is there a good amp/receiver out there for under $400? It seems like all the ones I’m finding are meant for “surround sound” and “epic movie playback”

Short answer is no, it's not necessary.... but you might want to have a dedicated headphone amp, especially if you have or are planning to get into higher end headphones

My Klipsch powered bookshelf speakers are developing an unpleasant hiss and I’m looking to move on. I do like the brand and am considering the passive equivalent Amazon product ASIN B07FKH3VPV
The problem is, I don’t have an amp and I don’t want to break the bank. Is there a good amp/receiver out there for under $400? It seems like all the ones I’m finding are meant for “surround sound” and “epic movie playback”

Back