Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Very nice, those are currently on pre order up here and are much more expensive North of the border. $899.00 I will keep my eyes open.

I can get dealer pricing on Mission out of the UK.i used to own a pair of 702E back in the far and they were solid units. Anyone have any prevailing opinions about their new stuff?

Ed gave their LX2 MkII a pretty good review last year

Okay folks, let's say you have $500 USD to spend on a pair of bookshelf speakers. These would be running to a NADC316BEE and a SACD player. They do not need stands. What are you buying?
The Elac Debut 2.0 B6.2s also seem to be widely lauded and well within budget. For $500, I’d still get the Wharfedale Denton’s myself, as I’m a sucker for a nice wood finish.

The Elac Debut 2.0 B6.2s also seem to be widely lauded and well within budget. For $500, I’d still get the Wharfedale Denton’s myself, as I’m a sucker for a nice wood finish.
If you drove ahem! you could come down to a shop in the states or have them shipped to a friend (border is open for 36 hour trips) and grab RP600M's. Take back the empties and check the couch for the extra change.

Unfortunately Klipsch had to raise prices across the board due to supply costs.

Denton's are nice.

ps Whats the system for, office, kids, wife, freind ?

@Mather i have the Dentons and they are awesome. But if you can’t find em near you then it’s a moot point. Before the Wharfedales I had KEFs and really liked them. I have the R300s so different price point than the ones you’re looking at but I haven’t been disappointed in any KEFs I have owned so far

If you drove ahem! you could come down to a shop in the states or have them shipped to a friend (border is open for 36 hour trips) and grab RP600M's. Take back the empties and check the couch for the extra change.

Unfortunately Klipsch had to raise prices across the board due to supply costs.

Denton's are nice.

ps Whats the system for, office, kids, wife, freind ?

@Mather i have the Dentons and they are awesome. But if you can’t find em near you then it’s a moot point. Before the Wharfedales I had KEFs and really liked them. I have the R300s so different price point than the ones you’re looking at but I haven’t been disappointed in any KEFs I have owned so far
Yeah I mean the Denton's would be a no brainer but they're $1400 up here and that puts them at almost 3 times the budget cost so no dice.

@JohnnyCashFan my dad has had a really tough year so I'm putting together a mini audiophile system for Christmas for him. He was supposed to travel to my place this week so he wouldn't be alone for the holidays but it looks like Omicron is going to cancel those plans. So this is the least I can do to make his holidays a bit better.

Yeah I mean the Denton's would be a no brainer but they're $1400 up here and that puts them at almost 3 times the budget cost so no dice.

@JohnnyCashFan my dad has had a really tough year so I'm putting together a mini audiophile system for Christmas for him. He was supposed to travel to my place this week so he wouldn't be alone for the holidays but it looks like Omicron is going to cancel those plans. So this is the least I can do to make his holidays a bit better.
Hope your Dad is feeling ok and enjoys the great gift from a great son!

I checked craigslist for you and unfortunately no Denton's there either.

Well all you Denton and Linton heads will be happy to know that although I can't afford to go with either of those I'm likely going to go with a Mission LX3 MKII which is designed by... Peter Comeau. The same designer who did the Denton and Lintons. He currently also works with Mission. Not the same quality of speaker as either of those but it should do the trick and fits into the budget in a way that allows me to also get my dad Blue Jeans Canare speaker cables and RCAs to nicely round the whole thing out. And of course a couple of SACDs to give him a taste of the good stuff.

Anyone have any suggestions of good SACDs? Was thinking Mofi Best of Withers and maybe Joplin or Dylan.

Last edited:
Well all you Denton and Linton heads will be happy to know that although I can't afford to go with either of those I'm likely going to go with a Mission LX3 MKII which is designed by... Peter Comeau. The same designer who did the Denton and Lintons. He currently also works with Mission. Not the same quality of speaker as either of those but it should do the trick and fits into the budget in a way that allows me to also get my dad Blue Jeans Canare speaker cables and RCAs to nicely round the whole thing out. And of course a couple of SACDs to give him a taste of the good stuff.

Anyone have any suggestions of good SACDs? Was thinking Mofi Best of Withers and maybe Joplin or Dylan.

The Dylan SACDs that Columbia did back in the early 2000s are excellent, as are the early stones ones that ABKCO did at a similar time, I had a lot of them back then. The Japanese Who and Elton John ones from the last decade were really good to my ears too. I really liked the AP Meat Loaf Bat of Hell One, but I get not everyone likes him, the Norah Jones ones by them are brilliant too and their SACD equivalents of the John Lee Hooker and Pet Sounds (which has both mono and stereo mixes) had good write ups too. But Japan is where it’s at for buying SACDs outside the two audiophile labels, they’re still producing a good amount of new ones.

The Dylan SACDs that Columbia did back in the early 2000s are excellent, as are the early stones ones that ABKCO did at a similar time, I had a lot of them back then. The Japanese Who and Elton John ones from the last decade were really good to my ears too. I really liked the AP Meat Loaf Bat of Hell One, but I get not everyone likes him, the Norah Jones ones by them are brilliant too and their SACD equivalents of the John Lee Hooker and Pet Sounds (which has both mono and stereo mixes) had good write ups too. But Japan is where it’s at for buying SACDs outside the two audiophile labels, they’re still producing a good amount of new ones.
Like this one?
Bob Dylan - Blood On The Tracks

Url: Bob Dylan – Blood On The Tracks (2003, Digipak, SACD)

Shared from the Discogs App

Like this one?
Bob Dylan - Blood On The Tracks

Url: Bob Dylan – Blood On The Tracks (2003, Digipak, SACD)

Shared from the Discogs App

For some reasons that link doesn’t work for me…

This is the one I owned back then

This is the US release.

They did a lot of this catalogue to SACD from the original master tapes back then and all the ones I had sounded amazing. That yellow sticker on the cover was the giveaway when you’re looking at them on cogs.

These should be around $20-50 or so Can (new or used).

The Wonderful Sounds Of Christmas
Norah Jones Come Away With Me
Miles Davis Kind Of Blue
Oscar Peterson We Take Requests
Nat King Cole The Nat King Cole Story
Diana Krall Love Scenes
Dean Martin Dream With Dean
Michael Legrand Legrand Jazz
Steely Dan Gaucho (grits teeth, if nightmather can stand it when visiting)
Cat Stevens Tea For The Tillerman
Dire Straights Brothers In Arms
Pink Floyd Dark Side Of The Moon

Does anyone have any opinions on the Totem Dreamcatcher Speakers? Found a pair used for $499 CAD. Debating it...

Does anyone have any opinions on the Totem Dreamcatcher Speakers? Found a pair used for $499 CAD. Debating it...
that's a pretty small woofer tbh, but the stereophile review was positive. Might struggle on bass heavy rock though ?

I have had Von Schweikert VR-1 and B&W Bookshelvs in the past and liked both.

Anyone have the Fluance turntable weight? I don't think qc problems like dish warps are going away and I'm considering getting it for my rt-85

Anyone have the Fluance turntable weight? I don't think qc problems like dish warps are going away and I'm considering getting it for my rt-85
Only problem with this logic is it only corrects warps when the concave side is down. The weight is really more for coupling with the platter to reduce vibration and to give more mass to reduce platter speed fluctuations.

Only problem with this logic is it only corrects warps when the concave side is down. The weight is really more for coupling with the platter to reduce vibration and to give more mass to reduce platter speed fluctuations.

good point. so do you think it's not worth getting? also when using a weight would I need to adjust anything on the tonearm/anti-skate?

Back