Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Ah sorry when you said USD I though it must be one of the US Mather’s or Mather associates 😂
Haha yeah the only reason I put USD is just so the Americans didn't all make the same joke about the Canadian dollar being worth nothing. This way everyone understands the price range. They're for my father, he's had a rough year and I want to get him a audiophile-ish system without breaking the bank. I've got a line on a very cheap ARCAM SACD player and he's already got the NAD amp. His current speakers are the Andrew Jones designed Pioneer SP BS22.

Haha yeah the only reason I put USD is just so the Americans didn't all make the same joke about the Canadian dollar being worth nothing. This way everyone understands the price range. They're for my father, he's had a rough year and I want to get him a audiophile-ish system without breaking the bank. I've got a line on a very cheap ARCAM SACD player and he's already got the NAD amp. His current speakers are the Andrew Jones designed Pioneer SP BS22.

Ah right! Fair enough! That’s pretty awesome of you!

I’ve always loved every pair of Dali bookshelf speakers that I’ve heard and these both review well and are the right price.

Everyone around here probably still loves the Elac Debuts at that price bracket too.

Ah right! Fair enough! That’s pretty awesome of you!

I’ve always loved every pair of Dali bookshelf speakers that I’ve heard and these both review well and are the right price.

Everyone around here probably still loves the Elac Debuts at that price bracket too.
Yep the 3 I've pinpointed are the Elac Debut 2 6.2, those Dali Spector's and also maybe the KEF 350 if I can find a deal... He lives on the other side of the country so I have to find something that can be delivered to him. I thought about sending him my Revel F35s but shipping alone would be insane...

Okay folks, let's say you have $500 USD to spend on a pair of bookshelf speakers. These would be running to a NADC316BEE and a SACD player. They do not need stands. What are you buying?
Here's a list I came up with when I was in a similar situation wanting to buy speakers for my daughter:

Klipsh RP600M - (a bit over $500) Steve Guttenberg gushes about these and says they are 'magic'
Wharfdale Diamond 12.1
Elac Debut 2.0 line (seems there are a few options?)
PSB Alpha P5
Paradigm Monitor SE Atom
Triangle Borea BRO3 (a bit above the $500 cutoff)

I ended up going with the Elac Debut 2.0 B6.2's. I had a chance to listen to them in my daughter's system, and I thought they sounded very good.

Yep the 3 I've pinpointed are the Elac Debut 2 6.2, those Dali Spector's and also maybe the KEF 350 if I can find a deal... He lives on the other side of the country so I have to find something that can be delivered to him. I thought about sending him my Revel F35s but shipping alone would be insane...

Yeah totally and I also wouldn’t trust shipping for something that size from me, it’d totally be a bring in the car next time I went! That said Ontario is also probably bigger than Ireland on its own…

Are the Elacs going to differ much from the Pioneers? They are both Andrew Jones speakers, right? I'm sure they're better, but will he be able to hear a distinct improvement if the sound signature is similar?

Last edited:
Looks like the KEF Q350s are on sale

Are the Elacs going to differ much from the Pioneers? They are both Andrew Jones speakers, right?

Whenever someone mentions Andrew Jones I do always wonder if that was really him that turned up that one time to post just the once to be snooty about someone throwing shade on some cheap tat soundbar with his name on it…

…or was that the old forum, couldn’t find the post…

Are the Elacs going to differ much from the Pioneers? They are both Andrew Jones speakers, right? I'm sure they're better, but will he be able to hear a distinct improvement if the sound signature is similar?
Yeah this was my concern, is the jump between those two going to be worth it. The comparisons I've found online seem to indicate there is a jump up between the two. But... yeah it's hard to tell if it's worth it.

Yeah totally and I also wouldn’t trust shipping for something that size from me, it’d totally be a bring in the car next time I went! That said Ontario is also probably bigger than Ireland on its own…
Oh it's the other side of the COUNTRY. Not Province. It's 4370 kms from my house.

Last edited:
Oh it's the other side of the COUNTRY. Not province. It's 4370 kms from my house.

Yeah I got that but Canada is crazy huge so I was more saying that even your province is likely exponentially bigger than this country! The other side of Ireland from me, Galway City on the west coast, is 200km!

Here's a list I came up with when I was in a similar situation wanting to buy speakers for my daughter:

Klipsh RP600M - (a bit over $500) Steve Guttenberg gushes about these and says they are 'magic'
Wharfdale Diamond 12.1
Elac Debut 2.0 line (seems there are a few options?)
PSB Alpha P5
Paradigm Monitor SE Atom
Triangle Borea BRO3 (a bit above the $500 cutoff)

I ended up going with the Elac Debut 2.0 B6.2's. I had a chance to listen to them in my daughter's system, and I thought they sounded very good.
Just found the RP600's on sale for $729 CAD. that's the cheapest I've seen. Might just have to take the plunge on that.

Are Polks readily available in Canada? If so, the Reserve R100 are on sale a smidge over your budget, but have gotten some really nice reviews.

$550 - Free Shipping
View attachment 121591
Very nice, those are currently on pre order up here and are much more expensive North of the border. $899.00 I will keep my eyes open.

I can get dealer pricing on Mission out of the UK.i used to own a pair of 702E back in the far and they were solid units. Anyone have any prevailing opinions about their new stuff?

Last edited:
The La Scala's have never looked as good to me as they do now, but the Forte is the more practical alternative for me. I've had my eye on a Forte model ever since my days reading "Stereo Review", but never pulled the trigger. I've had my Thiels for a long time now, so maybe a trial change is in order.
La Scala's need a big room, I heard a pair of vintage Belle's two summers ago and they were wonderful with McIntosh. This was on classical music and Billie Holiday. Some say La Scalla and Belle's are bass shy and need subs.

Back