Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Anyone have any experience/opinions on Vincent Audio?

If anyone remembers, I was asking about Rogue as a hybrid integrated the other week as compared to going for all valve w/ Prima Luna (@HiFi Guy thanks for the idea to look at the EVO 300 instead of the 400, if that's all I may find I need and it has all the same main features save less power but also less overhead).

However, I was checking out the Vincent Audio SV-237MK Hybrid, which I've seen before but hadn't super paid attention to. It seems to have some good professional reviews (as does its predecessor the SV-236).

I appreciate that it doesn't have a phonostage. It also has coaxial/optical digital inputs which I don't need for my current or projected set up (I'll run everything into the analog inputs and use offboard DACs), but I don't hate that it's there for who knows what will come.

I'm ambivalent to the EQ, but that may be because it has been a while since I've had a stereo that had it; but it is defeatable and w/ a Loudness button.

Haven't seen too much about the headphone amp, but that's not a major thing for me as I hardly use cans. Also doesn't have a dedicated sub-in like the PL; but it has a pre out so that works.

It's also ~$1200 less than the EVO300 and $2200 less than the 400 (but, honestly, that's the least determining factor).

As well, if anyone has any knowledge of the SV-700 (about the same size as the SV-237MK) but adds some extra Class A power, loses the EQ and Loudness button, loses headphone input, adds 1x XLR input, about the same cost as the EVO 400

EDIT: I see I asked a very similar (ok, the same) question in Aug 2020. So I may get crickets again. But let's see!
The differences between a hybrid and a tube amp won’t be subtle. And the resale value on PrimaLuna will far exceed Vincent should you decide to change directions in the future.

Anyone have any experience/opinions on Vincent Audio?

If anyone remembers, I was asking about Rogue as a hybrid integrated the other week as compared to going for all valve w/ Prima Luna (@HiFi Guy thanks for the idea to look at the EVO 300 instead of the 400, if that's all I may find I need and it has all the same main features save less power but also less overhead).

However, I was checking out the Vincent Audio SV-237MK Hybrid, which I've seen before but hadn't super paid attention to. It seems to have some good professional reviews (as does its predecessor the SV-236).

I appreciate that it doesn't have a phonostage. It also has coaxial/optical digital inputs which I don't need for my current or projected set up (I'll run everything into the analog inputs and use offboard DACs), but I don't hate that it's there for who knows what will come.

I'm ambivalent to the EQ, but that may be because it has been a while since I've had a stereo that had it; but it is defeatable and w/ a Loudness button.

Haven't seen too much about the headphone amp, but that's not a major thing for me as I hardly use cans. Also doesn't have a dedicated sub-in like the PL; but it has a pre out so that works.

It's also ~$1200 less than the EVO300 and $2200 less than the 400 (but, honestly, that's the least determining factor).

As well, if anyone has any knowledge of the SV-700 (about the same size as the SV-237MK) but adds some extra Class A power, loses the EQ and Loudness button, loses headphone input, adds 1x XLR input, about the same cost as the EVO 400

EDIT: I see I asked a very similar (ok, the same) question in Aug 2020. So I may get crickets again. But let's see!

Got to say that you won’t be left wanting for anything with the 300. I’m hugely impressed by the 300 power amp so far. Digs deeper, is more dynamic and requires less gain than the similarly powered quad mono blocks it replaced. Sounds wonderful too. Not quite as tubey a sound yet but from what I gather from @HiFi Guy that will come because they have a pretty long break in.

One more turntable question for the experts.

Pioneer PLX-1000 vs Technics 1200 MK7 vs waiting a couple months for the MK7-S

Thoughts?

One more turntable question for the experts.

Pioneer PLX-1000 vs Technics 1200 MK7 vs waiting a couple months for the MK7-S

Thoughts?
I’d buy a PLX-1000 over the Mk7. The one worth waiting for would be the SL-100C. Just upgrade the stylus (not the whole cartridge) and you are golden.

I’d buy a PLX-1000 over the Mk7. The one worth waiting for would be the SL-100C. Just upgrade the stylus (not the whole cartridge) and you are golden.

It’s an Amazon exclusive over here and can be pre-ordered now for prime dispatch from Friday. Wonder if that’s the same over there too.

Anyone have a recommendation for a wireless/Bluetooth speaker? Ideally less than $100 if possible. Doesn’t need to be super fancy, just a nice portable one that’s easy to bring to the beach and/or park.

Anyone have a recommendation for a wireless/Bluetooth speaker? Ideally less than $100 if possible. Doesn’t need to be super fancy, just a nice portable one that’s easy to bring to the beach and/or park.
Can't go wrong with a JBL Flip in that price point as far as portability and battery time. There'll be a slight bit of latency but as long as you're not watching any videos with it, you'll never notice it.

Can't go wrong with a JBL Flip in that price point as far as portability and battery time. There'll be a slight bit of latency but as long as you're not watching any videos with it, you'll never notice it.
Thank you! I was looking at JBL ones and had no idea which one I need or if I need their top of the line one. That one looks right on the money. I don't think I'd ever be watching videos with it.

It's almost speaker upgrade time.

For reference, I have a Decware Zen Triode on order that should be ready sometime this summer, so sensitivity is important.

I was all set to finally pull the trigger on the Zu Dirty Weekends - my partner picked out the finish for the living room, and wouldn't you know it, they're not able to source hickory for this run at all, and they're not sure they'll even be able to offer it at all in 2021. Couple that with their second price hike in a row, and the fact that budget's a little tight as we just bought this house - you peel back the onion and find that more and more things need updating, I know many of you know this well!

My backup plan has been to go for the Klipsch RP 600M's, and wouldn't you know it, they're on sale for $377 a pair right now, which now works out to less than 25% of what the Zu's will be with hickory cabinets. @HiFi Guy, any idea how long they'll run that price for?

For reference, I have a Decware Zen Triode on order that should be ready sometime this summer, so sensitivity is important.

I was all set to finally pull the trigger on the Zu Dirty Weekends - my partner picked out the finish for the living room, and wouldn't you know it, they're not able to source hickory for this run at all, and they're not sure they'll even be able to offer it at all in 2021. Couple that with their second price hike in a row, and the fact that budget's a little tight as we just bought this house - you peel back the onion and find that more and more things need updating, I know many of you know this well!

My backup plan has been to go for the Klipsch RP 600M's, and wouldn't you know it, they're on sale for $377 a pair right now, which now works out to less than 25% of what the Zu's will be with hickory cabinets. @HiFi Guy, any idea how long they'll run that price for?
I realize decor is important and they may not have the SAF of a pair of Zus, but with your budget and sensitivity limitations I might seriously consider a pair of used Fortes or Cornwalls. They’ll sound amazing with the Dec and they can be had for around what you were looking to pay for the Zus.

(edit: at least, that was true somewhat recently. prices appear to have appreciated a bit.)

Barring that, the RP600Ms are by all accounts quite enjoyable and should fit the bill until you’re able to acquire your dream speakers.

Second edit: HiFiShark shows that hickory Dirty Weekends go up for sale fairly often for under a grand, so it might behoove you to pick up a pair on the secondary market.

Last edited:

Bummer. The rustic hickory finish is really nice, and my DWs sound terrific powered by an SE84UFO in an 11' x14' room.
Re the RP600Ms:

Bummer. The rustic hickory finish is really nice, and my DWs sound terrific powered by an SE84UFO in an 11' x14' room.
Re the RP600Ms:
Well that got me quite excited

No idea on pricing. Everything seems to be going up. I don’t think you can really go wrong at $377.

I realize decor is important and they may not have the SAF of a pair of Zus, but with your budget and sensitivity limitations I might seriously consider a pair of used Fortes or Cornwalls. They’ll sound amazing with the Dec and they can be had for around what you were looking to pay for the Zus.

(edit: at least, that was true somewhat recently. prices appear to have appreciated a bit.)

Barring that, the RP600Ms are by all accounts quite enjoyable and should fit the bill until you’re able to acquire your dream speakers.

Second edit: HiFiShark shows that hickory Dirty Weekends go up for sale fairly often for under a grand, so it might behoove you to pick up a pair on the secondary market.
When I was Klipsch hunting in the midst of stimulus spending there were a lot of of used Forte I/II on the market (east coast CL) under a grand, I "nearly" bought a pair of mint Forte III for 1800 before settling on vintage Cornwall for 1250 and a road trip. They are my dream speaker with either tube or ss Mc.

When I was Klipsch hunting in the midst of stimulus spending there were a lot of of used Forte I/II on the market (east coast CL) under a grand, I "nearly" bought a pair of mint Forte III for 1800 before settling on vintage Cornwall for 1250 and a road trip. They are my dream speaker with either tube or ss Mc.
Always wanted to hear the Cornwalls. My father’s got a pair of vintage Klipschorns that he’s in the process of frankensteining into some sort of monstrous tri-amped active speaker that I’m sure will both be a ton of fun to listen to and an absolute white elephant in twenty years.

I love my F2s. I’d really like to hear the F4s, but it would take a lot to get these 2s out of my basement.

I have the JBL Charge 5 which I got for $150 if your budget can go up a little and it sounds awesome. Super powerful and compact.

Back