Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

I also run a MIMC Star ES. I think you'll really enjoy it coming from the 2M Black. You give up no meaningful detail and the imaging is tremendous.
Well the thing is I think I need a high output because of my Aria Stage or my tonearm, I honestly can't remember why but I'm pretty sure I need high output. Which means It'd be the Zephyr MKIII. But I'm not certain the difference between the two, the site isn't very clear on that.

Last edited:
Well the thing is I think I need a high output because of my Aria Stage? I think? Which means It'd be the Zephyr MKIII. But I'm not certain the difference between the two, the site isn't very clear on that.
The only direct comparisons I've seen seem to be pretty in favor of the MIMC Star despite all their outward similarities. Less tip mass, I think, so better detail retrieval. Have you considered a step-up transformer?

Well the thing is I think I need a high output because of my Aria Stage or my tonearm, I honestly can't remember why but I'm pretty sure I need high output. Which means It'd be the Zephyr MKIII. But I'm not certain the difference between the two, the site isn't very clear on that.

The aria has MC capabilities and adjustable gain and loading so you should be able to use a low output MC (or MIMC cartridge) with it.

The counterweight that’s supplied with your table is too light for the heavier cartridges. You can buy an new heavier counterweight from pro-ject that will work, 029 (which weighs 96g) would be the right one for that cartridge and your arm.

Whether that cartridge is a great match for the tonearm in terms of the maths I don’t know because I neither do nor understand those particular maths but in terms of being able to get the right counterweight and in terms of your phono you are good!

Last edited:
The only direct comparisons I've seen seem to be pretty in favor of the MIMC Star despite all their outward similarities. Less tip mass, I think, so better detail retrieval. Have you considered a step-up transformer?
I haven't no, I don't really have much space left for any more gear up here. The other issue is. The MIMC is $2000 USD so after exchange and taxes that's gunna run me close to 3 G's. I don't think I can spend that on a cart. The Zephyr MKIII would only be about $2000 CAD after taxes and exchange...

I haven't no, I don't really have much space left for any more gear up here. The other issue is. The MIMC is $2000 USD so after exchange and taxes that's gunna run me close to 3 G's. I don't think I can spend that on a cart. The Zephyr MKIII would only be about $2000 CAD after taxes and exchange...

You shouldn’t need a step up transformer for the aria anyway. I looked at the manual there. It’s lower MC gain of 63 point something db is more than enough for a .4mV output (I’d be happy with 60db plus) nevermind the higher MC gain of 69 point something db. The price point is definitely an argument especially given you’ll need to factor in a back up cart for retipping times because whilst they price them really fairly soundsmith are notoriously slow at that.

You shouldn’t need a step up transformer for the aria anyway. I looked at the manual there. It’s lower MC gain of 63 point something db (I’d be happy with 60db plus) is more than enough for a .4mV output, nevermind the higher MC gain of 69 point something so. The price point is definitely an argument especially given you’ll need to factor in a back up cart for retipping times because whilst they price them really fairly soundsmith are notoriously slow at that.
That's a good point. But I have the.... 2M BRONZE!

-awaits the impending deluge of rotten fruit-

*cough cough*

That’s ironically at a higher gain going to be less happy with the aria. It’s got a set MM gain of 41 point something db which is probably a touch low for a 2.12mV output 😂

Which actually with the Zepher mkiii being 2.4 I actually think that’s probably not a good match to the arias mm gain either. I think the MIMC is a better match to its MC gain lol.

I did also see this on the same site 😂

Last edited:
That’s ironically at a higher gain going to be less happy with the aria. It’s got a set MM gain of 41 point something db which is probably a touch low for a 2.12mV output 😂

Which actually with the Zepher mkiii being 2.4 I actually think that’s probably not a good match to the arias mm gain either. I think the MIMC is a better match to its MC gain lol.

I did also see this on the same site 😂
I'm confused though, these are all MC carts are they not? So what's fixed?

I'm confused though, these are all MC carts are they not? So what's fixed?

They’re actually all moving iron cartridges, like grado or nagaoka. So none of the them are actually an MM or an MC.

With the zephyr mkiii and the one @kvetcha pounted out they use a loading of 47k, the same as an MM, so would go into the MM input. You don’t have variable MM gain on the aria it’s set at roughy 42dB which is a bit on the low side for a 2-2.5mV cartridge.

The zephyr star is a low output cartridge at .4mV which is the same as a low output MC and requires similar loading to them. So it would plug into the MC input and you’d set the required gain and loading to match it.

They’re actually all moving iron cartridges, like grado or nagaoka. So none of the them are actually an MM or an MC.

With the zephyr mkiii and the one @kvetcha pounted out they use a loading of 47k, the same as an MM, so would go into the MM input. You don’t have variable MM gain on the aria it’s set at roughy 42dB which is a bit on the low side for a 2-2.5mV cartridge.

The zephyr star is a low output cartridge at .4mV which is the same as a low output MC and requires similar loading to them. So it would plug into the MC input and you’d set the required gain and loading to match it.
Ohhhhhh, crap. So I do need that one... @kvetcha are you familiar with that store you linked? Reputable?

Ohhhhhh, crap. So I do need that one... @kvetcha are you familiar with that store you linked? Reputable?

It’d work gain wise with your aria but I’d check all the settings such as loading and capacitance against the options your rega allows and if you’ve got them all the that’d be the way I’d go. I’d just be wary of 42dB with a 2ish mV output, it’s typically the gain for a 4-5mV output MM. I know my 1mV output MI at 48dB needs a fair amount a cranking and I’d be happier at 50-55dB if I had the option. Don’t forget you’ll need to pick up the heavier counterweight for these too.

Some people have indicated they bait and switch, but their switch turns out to be quite fair. Free shipping to "many areas in Canada" too.
Haha what do you mean by bait and switch exactly? Like they won't actually have that cart on sale but they'll offer a new version at a slight discount?

It’d work gain wise with your aria but I’d check all the settings such as loading and capacitance against the options your rega allows and if you’ve got them all the that’d be the way I’d go. I’d just be wary of 42dB with a 2ish mV output, it’s typically the gain for a 4-5mV output MM. I know my 1mV output MI at 48dB needs a fair amount a cranking and I’d be happier at 50-55dB if I had the option. Don’t forget you’ll need to pick up the heavier counterweight for these too.
I'm going to call Soundsmith and try to talk to someone there. Might as well go right to the source in terms of what would work best with my setup.

Haha what do you mean by bait and switch exactly? Like they won't actually have that cart on sale but they'll offer a new version at a slight discount?
Exactly. They don't update their inventory, so if they are out of stock, they offer new/comparable at nearly the same price.

I'm going to call Soundsmith and try to talk to someone there. Might as well go right to the source in terms of what would work best with my setup.

Probably not a bad idea. I’d have your aria manual open so you can tell them it’s specs for gain & loading cuz I wouldn’t expect them to know but from that I’m sure they’ll be able to point you in the right direction.

I think that I’m pretty set on an AT MC being my next cartridge here. That said the Grado woody is still sounding great so even though it’s the year old I’m going to keep it running till it sounds like it needs a change!

Probably not a bad idea. I’d have your aria manual open so you can tell them it’s specs for gain & loading cuz I wouldn’t expect them to know but from that I’m sure they’ll be able to point you in the right direction.

I think that I’m pretty set on an AT MC being my next cartridge here. That said the Grado woody is still sounding great so even though it’s the year old I’m going to keep it running till it sounds like it needs a change!
Yeah I mean I don't actually think my Black is at the replacement point yet even though it's two years in. I just don't spin anywhere near 10 hours a week, maybe like 2-3 on average... But I'd like to pinpoint where to go next and get the money saved and the replacement cost is just such a draw. I'm assuming you can do that more than once per cart? Or do you have to buy a new full cart after the first Soundsmith refurb/retip? @kvetcha @VMPKJ ?

Back