Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

And is marble considered better than granite or does it matter?

I can’t imagine that it matters, they’re both heavy and dense which I imagine is the point.

I’m just waiting for someone to come up with a technical argument why one is suitable, and the other not, that makes that sound dumb...

And is marble considered better than granite or does it matter?
Again, to echo @Joe Mac , either should be fine and have the same results. I can tell you the marble is fantastic, when I originally got this it was under my Orbit. Before the slab you could tap on the plinth and hear it travel through to the speakers, after the marble it was completely gone, you could tap without any feedback.

Do you know what’d be cool and really industrial looking?

Make a mold out of rough cut timber and have a board pressed concrete plinth. It’d be proper industrial cool!

I’d put the slab on the feet, less surface area touching the rack plus fancy ass feet means less vibration going into the stone.

Last edited:
Personally @Mather, if possible just buy or build a wall mount if you have issues with foot falls. Even if you just float the shelf an inch over your rack, as long as you can bolt into studs you’re golden. I played with a lot of the aforementioned solutions to various effect and found two that really worked. A) a suspended table and even better, B) Wall mount the table. You can buy a fancy one or build one yourself easy-peasy.

Just sharing my experiences with tables with a “live” floor.

If you can’t wall mount, and I’m assuming you don’t want to replace the table, then the marble over sorbothane or Gaia feet for the appropriate weight. I don’t think the Orea you have will work for the combined weight of the table and marble.

Personally @Mather, if possible just buy or build a wall mount if you have issues with foot falls. Even if you just float the shelf an inch over your rack, as long as you can bolt into studs you’re golden. I played with a lot of the aforementioned solutions to various effect and found two that really worked. A) a suspended table and even better, B) Wall mount the table. You can buy a fancy one or build one yourself easy-peasy.

Just sharing my experiences with tables with a “live” floor.

If you can’t wall mount, and I’m assuming you don’t want to replace the table, then the marble over sorbothane or Gaia feet for the appropriate weight. I don’t think the Orea you have will work for the combined weight of the table and marble.
Yes actually you're probably right, just float a shelf directly over the existing media console. Only difficulty is that the house was built in 1960 so the studs are wood, which makes finding them a royal pain in the ass. But I'm going to look into that as it seems like the path of least resistance.

Yes actually you're probably right, just float a shelf directly over the existing media console. Only difficulty is that the house was built in 1960 so the studs are wood, which makes finding them a royal pain in the ass. But I'm going to look into that as it seems like the path of least resistance.
Your run of the mill stud finder will still pick them up unless you have plaster and lathe walls. Just find one and hopefully the next one is 16 inches off of that.

Is your basement ceiling finished? Cuz I have some hairbrained ideas on making your floors not as "flexy"...

Your run of the mill stud finder will still pick them up unless you have plaster and lathe walls. Just find one and hopefully the next one is 16 inches off of that.

Is your basement ceiling finished? Cuz I have some hairbrained ideas on making your floors not as "flexy"...
Older homes might be 24 inches apart, once you find one, measure out 16/24 and tap in a finishing nail to see if you're there ;)

I use this simple inexpensive device to find the studs in my walls:

It uses strong magnets to lock onto a nail in the stud and works well, no batteries required.

I thought stud finders only located metal studs no? I'm wrong?

Basement ceiling is currently not done, basement renos coming soon, YOU HAVE IDEAS BRING'EM

I thought stud finders only located metal studs no? I'm wrong?

Basement ceiling is currently not done, basement renos coming soon, YOU HAVE IDEAS BRING'EM
Check to see if there are any extra wood diaphragm between the floor joists and if not add some 2x4s between them in an x pattern. It would take a mitre saw and some simple math but might help by locking everything together.
Screenshot_20190707-102329_Google.jpg

Also if you are putting up any walls during the reno, overbuilding the heck out of them to hopefully help support the floor even more.

Last edited:
Back