Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

So yeah, funny story... first off the feet help a bit with foot steps but the TT still skips if you walk right by it without walking softly, it's better, but still doesn't do the trick but what's stranger to me is that after installing the feet I found that the soundstage completely flattened out, everything is duller and less lively. It really doesn't sound good. I'm not sure if maybe it's a combination of the feet and the flexy cabinet and the flexy floor all combining to deaden the sound but first impression is that these are gunna have to just go under my phono stage because I do not like the sound under the TT.
But yes the next thing I'm going to try is to grab a bamboo butcher block from Ikea and put the feet under that and the TT on top using it's regular feet and see what happens.

But have you guys ever heard that before? That isolation feet actually deaden the sound/stage? Am I taking crazy pills?
I've heard of this happening before as well. Have tried adding a ton of weight on the base of your stand to help with the footfalls? I know that can be an effective solution as well.

I've heard of this happening before as well. Have tried adding a ton of weight on the base of your stand to help with the footfalls? I know that can be an effective solution as well.
So a tonne of weight onto the stand like... how? The stand weighs a tonne with all the gear in it, I'm not sure what else I can do. Do you mean the legs?

So a tonne of weight onto the stand like... how? The stand weighs a tonne with all the gear in it, I'm not sure what else I can do. Do you mean the legs?
Just depends what it looks like, but the idea is to get enough weight to take out some of the floor flex. I’ve heard of adding brinks or sand bags to the bottom shelf. Pushing the shelf as close to the wall as possible can help too.

If I recall correctly, you have a stylish AV type console right?

Just depends what it looks like, but the idea is to get enough weight to take out some of the floor flex. I’ve heard of adding brinks or sand bags to the bottom shelf. Pushing the shelf as close to the wall as possible can help too.

If I recall correctly, you have a stylish AV type console right?
Yeahhhh, I'm kinda pooched on that front, I can't push it back any further because the cabling is burly as all hell and wont allow it, It only has two shelves inside it so there's no opportunity to add weight in there and it sits up on two square legs so it flexes a fair bit. I mean I usually only play the TT when people are sitting and listening so it's not a huge deal, my wife knows to walk softly in front of it...

Let’s put it this way- define “ton” with the gear in it. Because I’m talking like maxing out the weight of a dedicated audio shelf... and then adding your gear above that.

Let’s put it this way- define “ton” with the gear in it. Because I’m talking like maxing out the weight of a dedicated audio shelf... and then adding your gear above that.

I dunno, it weighs enough that I don't feel comfortable adding any more weight to it, even if there was some way that I could without putting lead bricks inside it.

I dunno, it weighs enough that I don't feel comfortable adding any more weight to it, even if there was some way that I could without putting lead bricks inside it.
Yup, footfalls are tough, but if the isolation doesn’t do it, I think insane weight and dedicated higher end AV racs would be the next step. But obviously there is a lifestyle and wife approval factor that goes with that move.

Yup, footfalls are tough, but if the isolation doesn’t do it, I think insane weight and dedicated higher end AV racs would be the next step. But obviously there is a lifestyle and wife approval factor that goes with that move.
Hahaha look man... the fact that I've gotten this far is a damn miracle. There is NO WAY I'm putting a rack in our main living room. I've managed to get her to agree to trying to bamboo cutting board option but honestly I think it's gunna look really dumb with the aesthetic in there so it's probably gunna be a no go for me anyhow.

Hahaha look man... the fact that I've gotten this far is a damn miracle. There is NO WAY I'm putting a rack in our main living room. I've managed to get her to agree to trying to bamboo cutting board option but honestly I think it's gunna look really dumb with the aesthetic in there so it's probably gunna be a no go for me anyhow.
Yeah, I totally get that. Ideal and reality don’t cross paths very often unfortunately.

Could you go for an isolation box like I have? If you can make one yourself, find someone over there or if the shipping from here wasn’t too bad it might be a good solution for isolation and keeping a clean look. In the one I have there is also a fairly big gap to add extra weight to it if it’s needed.

Could you go for an isolation box like I have? If you can make one yourself, find someone over there or if the shipping from here wasn’t too bad it might be a good solution for isolation and keeping a clean look. In the one I have there is also a fairly big gap to add extra weight to it if it’s needed.
I looked at that iso place you bought from but they were really backed up last time I checked. What was the name of it again?

I looked at that iso place you bought from but they were really backed up last time I checked. What was the name of it again?

Yeah from their Instagram the guy running has been designing his own mad looking high end turntable!

The fella who runs it. Lee, is really sound and even if the site is saying it’s backed up if you shoot him an email he’ll give you a quote and let you know when he’ll be able to get around to it.

Where did you find yours? Did you just get it specially cut or...?

A great place to get thick good quality Stone in smaller sizes is a kitchen supplier. If they have off cuts (from cutting out sinks/hobs etc) it’s essentially waste so you can often get a good deal (or even free from the right place) and you can probably get them to cut it to size for a reasonable price.

Back