Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Huh...very interesting. Maybe this will be my next “small” upgrade. I’ve been contemplating a new mat. I have a cork mat currently. I wonder how it will work with my TT. I have a Rega Moth tonearm and no VTA. So I would probably need the thinner version. Did you buy from MD?
Yep, it came from MD and definitely go with the 3mm version if your VTA isn't adjustable. They do have a red open box for $85 ;)

just because i thought it would be intersting to show.. here are the popular cartridges red recommends for their ripping.. whatcha think of them

Popular moving magnet cartridges

Shure M97xE - $90
Audio Technica AT-440MLa - $200
Ortofon 2M Blue - $225
Rega Elys II - $295
Audio Technica AT-150MLX - $400
Goldring 1012GX - $450
Ortofon 2M Black - $670

Popular moving coil cartridges

Denon DL-160 - $180
Denon DL-103R - $380
Audio Technica AT-33EV - $500
Dynavector 10x5 $500
Dynavector 20X - $750
Sumiko Blackbird - $900

Good deal or not? Looks gorgeous
View attachment 57808

A perfect example of overpriced vintage. Marantz outsourced the manufacture of their turntables to the same Japanese company that also supplied some turntables to Radio Shack under the Realistic brand.

This was the bottom of the series (the others being the 6200 and 6300) and originally sold for under $200 in the mid ‘70s.

Edit: The cosmetics are vinyl wrap, not wood veneer.

If you want a wooden plinth TT hit up Vinyl Nirvana. Quite a bit more expensive than this one but I really like the quality and look of mine. I really like the Thorens. :)

Agreed. Original Swiss Thorens were excellent and Dave at Vinyl Nirvana is probably the most knowledgeable Thorens guy in the States. That’s vintage I can get behind.

I'm always curious to see how things like this work out for others................please let me/us know ;)
It already arrived today! Spinning some records now. I really should have A/Bed with something that I know well but I really just wanted to attach it and got impatient as I do with all the new toys I get. I feel like there is an improvement but I never know with stuff like this if I just WANT to hear a difference or if there is something way different. Things do seem a little more clear. I think the bass does tighten up and I am hearing a bit more separation especially in the drums on this album.

Since I was looking for a new mat anyway, appreciate you sharing this one! Seems like a keeper.

just because i thought it would be intersting to show.. here are the popular cartridges red recommends for their ripping.. whatcha think of them

That list is ancient.

Shure M97xE - Discontinued
Audio Technica AT-440MLa Discontinued
Ortofon 2M Blue - $236
Rega Elys II - $295
Audio Technica AT-150MLX Discontinued
Goldring 1012GX - $550
Ortofon 2M Black - $755

Denon DL-160 - Discontinued
Denon DL-103R - $449
Audio Technica AT-33EV - $469
Dynavector 10x5 $750
Dynavector 20X - $1095
Sumiko Blackbird - $999

That list is ancient.

Shure M97xE - Discontinued
Audio Technica AT-440MLa Discontinued
Ortofon 2M Blue - $236
Rega Elys II - $295
Audio Technica AT-150MLX Discontinued
Goldring 1012GX - $550
Ortofon 2M Black - $755

Denon DL-160 - Discontinued
Denon DL-103R - $449
Audio Technica AT-33EV - $469
Dynavector 10x5 $750
Dynavector 20X - $1095
Sumiko Blackbird - $999
So basically it's bullshit

I think it's just old, not necessarily that it's bullshit. Doesn't mean it's wrong as people will likely still own a bunch of those carts. Don't know the last time they updated it so I'm sure there are more that should be added to it.

That list is 10 years old easy.

Sonically, they are all over the place. I really hated to see the Shure on any list. That thing is bland.

I’ve owned half of the cartridges on that list. The thing that bugs me is I remember what things used to cost. I paid $550 for the Dynavector 20XL. And I really liked it. Had it rebuilt when it wore out and the rebuild didn’t sound the same (or as good). No way in hell do I think it’s worth $1095 though.

It already arrived today! Spinning some records now. I really should have A/Bed with something that I know well but I really just wanted to attach it and got impatient as I do with all the new toys I get. I feel like there is an improvement but I never know with stuff like this if I just WANT to hear a difference or if there is something way different. Things do seem a little more clear. I think the bass does tighten up and I am hearing a bit more separation especially in the drums on this album.

Since I was looking for a new mat anyway, appreciate you sharing this one! Seems like a keeper.
You did put the adhesive discs on the mat, right? ;)

Back