Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

@Englishbob let me add a few things:

After you unplug the power from the turntable, use blue painters tape to hold both the protractor and platter into place. You don't want anything moving around on you while you are trying to align the stylus. It'll make things far easier for you and leaves no residue when removed.

You can print an alignment protractor or get an inexpensive one from eBay. I'd recommend the MoFi Geo Disc though. It's $50- but a one time purchase. I've had mine 30 plus years and have used it countless times. It makes alignment super easy.

Set tracking force for 1.65 grams. Align after setting tracking force, not before.

Make sure your headshell is level left to right when looking from the front. You can get an inexpensive bubble level from Amazon. If it's off, there's a small screw on the underside of the headshell where it attaches to the arm tube. Loosen slightly and adjust the headshell until it's level. Snug the screw. Don't crank down on it.

This isn't nearly as difficult as it may seem. Take your time. Be patient. If you need me to walk you through it in real time, I can walk you through it by phone.
I'll also vouch for the Geo Disc. Superceasy to use and I can't imagine it ever breaking or becoming unusable. Some of the other tools out there look much more fragile.

With a technics table they have a little doodad you put the headhsell in and line the stylus against a divot and it just works. You do still have to get azimuth and VTA dialed in.

Wow! Thanks for all the help and advice guys. I’ll probably order everything in a week or so since I’m going out of town. Once I have what I need I’ll be back for more help I’m sure.🤪

You’ll be fine! I was paranoid and didn’t want to do it but when I actually was talked into doing it was really doable, you’ll be grand.

Would love to get some thoughts on best amp to run a new pair of Monitor Audio Silver 300s, for a dedicated Vinyl setup. I have a Polk 3.1 setup in the same room, that I currently use for Movies and Music, but am torn on whether I should compromise for the convenience of both through my Denon amp, or separate off and focus on my HiFi setup, definitely leaning hard in the direction of using these towers exclusively for music. Anyway, enjoying this thread a ton, the recent cables posts have been truly enlightening!!🤓

Would love to get some thoughts on best amp to run a new pair of Monitor Audio Silver 300s, for a dedicated Vinyl setup. I have a Polk 3.1 setup in the same room, that I currently use for Movies and Music, but am torn on whether I should compromise for the convenience of both through my Denon amp, or separate off and focus on my HiFi setup, definitely leaning hard in the direction of using these towers exclusively for music. Anyway, enjoying this thread a ton, the recent cables posts have been truly enlightening!!🤓
At 90db and 8 ohms I think you'd fit well into a Prima Luna if that's in your price range. The Prolouge Premium integrated is still available, unless you're ready to jump straight into the new EVO series.

You don't have to seperate anything. A system that plays music well can easily handle video sources. That's what I do here. I concentrate on music reproduction. The cable box and DVD player are just along for the ride.

What kind of budget are you working with?

You don't have to seperate anything. A system that plays music well can easily handle video sources. That's what I do here. I concentrate on music reproduction. The cable box and DVD player are just along for the ride.

What kind of budget are you working with?
That’s exactly what I need to do, just confused on how to pull it off. I’ve got $2k in the speakers, would like to stay at under $4k total after adding the amp, and some new cables.

At 90db and 8 ohms I think you'd fit well into a Prima Luna if that's in your price range. The Prolouge Premium integrated is still available, unless you're ready to jump straight into the new EVO series.
Have not heard a Prima Luna, but they look gorgeous. Would love to jump into that EVO, but will likely stay under that range. I’m going to see if I can track down a local dealer to hear the Prologue.

What I'd likely recommend would be a little out of that range, but you'd probably be happy for years if not indefinitely. I'll hang back and see what others come up with.

What I'd likely recommend would be a little out of that range, but you'd probably be happy for years if not indefinitely. I'll hang back and see what others come up with.
Honestly, if it would help me consolidate all into one system AND provide years of listening happiness, I’ll throw down another $1-2k...hit me with it.

Have not heard a Prima Luna, but they look gorgeous. Would love to jump into that EVO, but will likely stay under that range. I’m going to see if I can track down a local dealer to hear the Prologue.
The PrimaLuna is a really nice fit, if you do track down a local to demo it at that would be great. I can also offer up a small bit of advice if you decide to go that route. Give the folks at Upscale Audio a shout and ask about an open box HP, that's what I did, full warranty, nothing missing, just an open box. The upside, saved a nice chunk of change. The units aren't banged up or anything, I believe they were display models, last time I talked to them they still had a few available ;)

The PrimaLuna is a really nice fit, if you do track down a local to demo it at that would be great. I can also offer up a small bit of advice if you decide to go that route. Give the folks at Upscale Audio a shout and ask about an open box HP, that's what I did, full warranty, nothing missing, just an open box. The upside, saved a nice chunk of change. The units aren't banged up or anything, I believe they were display models, last time I talked to them they still had a few available ;)
Good call out, thanks! Sounds like a good way to get some break in hours down too.

Never had tubes, but would really love to change to tubes. I use headphones for about 10% of my listening time.

In the PrimaLuna lineup, there are a few integrated amps that will work for you-

EVO-100- headphones but no remote
EVO-300- headphones and remote
Dialogue Premium HP- adds high power

I love my HP. A couple of things to note-

You'll still need a phono stage if you don't already have one.

PrimaLuna way oversell the ultralinear/triode switching on these. The difference is very minor, unlike other amps I've experienced. I listen the vast majority of the time in UL mode but find triode useful for taming those recordings that have too much bass.

The difference is absolute volume between the HP and non HP is minor- 3dB. The human ear can detect differences in level down to 1 dB. The HP does not play twice as loud as the non HP.

Dialogue series has a better input section- 6 tubes as opposed to 4 which allows it to swing more voltage.

They come standard with EL34 output tubes which sound lovely. I like it even better with 7581A output tubes which are robust and reasonably priced. If course, the HP series cost twice as much to re tube as the others.

@Cheesefry another amp to consider would be a B Stock Manley Stingray integrated. It's a wonderful sounding amp. No remote and it has a "unique" appearance. I dig it. You may not. I was fortunate enough to have one on a long term loan years ago and never forgot it.

No auto bias circuit. You'll need a meter and a screwdriver. It's easy to set the bias for output tubes. It's a 5 minute job 4 times a year. It's fun too- but I'm a nerd.

Triode mode on this one is stunning and totally different from ultralinear.

If you want plug and play, you'll want PrimaLuna. But unless no remote is a deal killer, seriously consider the Manley. Also- hand made in California.

Manley Stingray B Stock

@Cheesefry another amp to consider would be a B Stock Manley Stingray integrated. It's a wonderful sounding amp. No remote and it has a "unique" appearance. I dig it. You may not. I was fortunate enough to have one on a long term loan years ago and never forgot it.

No auto bias circuit. You'll need a meter and a screwdriver. It's easy to set the bias for output tubes. It's a 5 minute job 4 times a year. It's fun too- but I'm a nerd.

Triode mode on this one is stunning and totally different from ultralinear.

If you want plug and play, you'll want PrimaLuna. But unless no remote is a deal killer, seriously consider the Manley. Also- hand made in California.

Manley Stingray B Stock
😲 Whoa...she’s a beaut! I’ll do a little research. Great stuff man, thanks again!

Back