Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Appreciate the responses, very helpful, thank you!

Sounds like the best approach in the short term might be to do the Blue, but then also an amp and passive speakers. Then, when I have some more money again, would be better positioned to do a full turntable upgrade vs. where I am now...

Any quick recommendations on what might be a good fit for my situation / budget in terms of amp / speakers? I like what a few of you said about something to grow with, so something that would fit that theme...I like the idea of maybe upgrading the turntable next year, but doing Blue/Amp/Speakers right now. Thanks!

Random question I don't know where to put:

Looking to buy my first couple of Kallax's. Only have space - for now.. 👀 - in an upstairs cupboard for a couple, outside of the future turntable stand that will be coming. Going to order something today and assume the divider between the two slots isn't recommended to have the weight of records put on them were I to put it vertically?

kallax-shelving-unit__0383004_PE557240_S5.JPG

No big thing as if not I'll just get two singles and stack them, but thought it worth double checking 👍

Random question I don't know where to put:

Looking to buy my first couple of Kallax's. Only have space - for now.. 👀 - in an upstairs cupboard for a couple, outside of the future turntable stand that will be coming. Going to order something today and assume the divider between the two slots isn't recommended to have the weight of records put on them were I to put it vertically?

kallax-shelving-unit__0383004_PE557240_S5.JPG

No big thing as if not I'll just get two singles and stack them, but thought it worth double checking 👍

Those ones work fine either way. The divider is plenty strong enough to hold the weight of the records, take a look at the bigger ones, they wouldn’t work at all if that was the case!

Those ones work fine either way. The divider is plenty strong enough to hold the weight of the records, take a look at the bigger ones, they wouldn’t work at all if that was the case!
Wonderful, I did have that line of thought but wondered if the tall units had them as joints and these as more of a divider. Wanted to be super sure before my growing record collection became numerous jigsaw puzzles! Will go for one of the doubles stood on end for now then. Earliest delivery slot is 3.5 weeks away but apparently they're opening the UK stores from 1st June. So might wait a few days past that for any rush to go down and make a socially distant late afternoon visit. Cheers yet again! 🍻

Wonderful, I did have that line of thought but wondered if the tall units had them as joints and these as more of a divider. Wanted to be super sure before my growing record collection became numerous jigsaw puzzles! Will go for one of the doubles stood on end for now then. Earliest delivery slot is 3.5 weeks away but apparently they're opening the UK stores from 1st June. So might wait a few days past that for any rush to go down and make a socially distant late afternoon visit. Cheers yet again! 🍻

The orientation for all of them isn’t a huge issue up to the 4x2. All those can work either on their ends or lain flat. On the 4x4 and 5x5 it’s enormously important that the flat long dividers go horizontal and the individual ones vertical. The other way around means that it is in twist force, rather than compression, and that’s when you see the Kallax collection destruction horror pictures online!

The orientation for all of them isn’t a huge issue up to the 4x2. All those can work either on their ends or lain flat. On the 4x4 and 5x5 it’s enormously important that the flat long dividers go horizontal and the individual ones vertical. The other way around means that it is in twist force, rather than compression, and that’s when you see the Kallax collection destruction horror pictures online!
Someone needs to include an image of a collapsed record collections on every Kallax package to impress upon people the importance of this...

No you aren’t. I still have it. I did get a Schiit Loki to warm it up a bit. At the end of the day though, the DAC is used 99% of the time for TV/Netflix duty.

To answer @AnthonyI though, those players are so similar you can pretty much choose by form factor. You still get the 60 day money back guarantee either way.

What kind of rep does the HD-AMP1 have out of curiosity?

What kind of rep does the HD-AMP1 have out of curiosity?
Going strictly from my CD1 research, it's gotten pretty positive reviews, some small, in my opinion preference items, but pretty positive overall....again, this is just from reading a bunch on the entire Marantz HD line. Obviously the form factor is worth noting, the fact you can tuck them into a Kallax cube is a nice option if your looking to design around it and have limited space.

Well looky what showed up today, this thing is a little tank, lol. Waiting on some interconnects that should show up tomorrow and then we'll feed it its first "coaster"........I gotta say, I'm diggin' the size ;)
View attachment 49266

Not to be confused with The Coasters:

This may be a bit OT, but I am looking for a recommendation for a Blu Ray player that would likely get the most duty playing audio CDs.

I don’t want to spend more than $300. Thanks for your consideration.

This may be a bit OT, but I am looking for a recommendation for a Blu Ray player that would likely get the most duty playing audio CDs.

I don’t want to spend more than $300. Thanks for your consideration.

The winner there is one of the oppo machines 103, 105, 203 or 205. They’re in a class of their own for that kinda thing. Problem is that oppo got out of the business so they’re only available second hand and the eBay prices have risen because that’s what happens. It is worth hurting eBay for one to see if there is a deal to be found.

Back