Early vote for album of the year

Tys1

Hoping we could go around and share our favorite album (yes, ONE, really) of 2019!

Mine:

Weyes Blood- Titanic Rising

In my experience there have been many times I discover an artist because they have a break out album. I then go back and listen to their prior albums and am surprised I hadn’t heard and loved them already.

That’s not the case with Weyes Blood.

Don‘t get me wrong. I certainly had no idea who they were until the Sub Pop signing. I just haven‘t clicked with the older albums... yet.

But hot damn if Titanic Rising doesn’t evoke ALL the feelings. It’s a masterpiece, IMO. Her voice is so in control and in synch with the rather melancholy music. I’m obsessed with it‘s way of making me feel hopeless and completely content with dying while also sparking hope for what tomorrow brings. Ive never really had an album simultaneously weave through the highs and lows of life with little more than a voice, a few memorable words, and some fantastic (albeit a bit exorbitant) instrumentation. I hope the older albums click with me soon, but if not I am totally A-OK with this here album.

Last edited:
Finding myself at a standstill with two albums.

O.R.k. - Ramagehead

Incredible art rock/progressive metal album. O.R.k. has former members of King Crimson, Porcupine Tree. The guitar work, the vocals, the drums, the writing. It is all top notch. One of the most incredible records I've heard out of the metal underground. The only singular thing I can say bad about it is that I wish it was longer! And, as a bonus, the amazing Serj Tankian is featured on vocals on the song Black Blooms. The album contains such a dark, moody atmosphere. But, there is beauty in that darkness.

Blaqk Audio - Only Things We Love

BA's fourth album, and easily their best yet. BA is the electronica/new wave side project from AFI's singer Davey Havok and guitarist Jade Puget. It is VERY New Order/Joy Division influenced, but it's a beast of it's own. The album gives pure nightclub blackout vibes, while also telling beautiful stories about love, fear and desire. I saw them on the very limited tour for this album, and WOW, you feel these songs live! I was fucking dancing, and I don't dance! Also very happy I was able to grab a signed vinyl copy at the show. Stunning record for both dancing and crying.

I haven’t come to a firm conclusion on this yet, but this week I’ve been going back over Eraserland by Strand of Oaks and thinking that it might the best of the year so far. I had originally thought it was a sort of uneven album with a few great standouts (“Keys”, “Ruby”), but over time it’s really grown on me as a no-skips record. The album is thematically coherent, in a way that to me evokes one of my favorite albums of the decade - Go Farther In Lightness - in that the songs are heavy but ultimately hopeful. And of course it doesn’t hurt to have friggin My Morning Jacket as your backing band. Knowing the album’s backstory (Tim Showalter was depressed and on the verge of quitting the industry, sequestering himself on a beach somewhere, until Carl Broeml reached out and convinced him to make a new record) helps but us not necessary.

Of course I’m probably going to change my mind about this next week. Other contenders so far are Midnight by Stef Chura, On The Line by Jenny Lewis and An Obelisk by Titus Andronicus.

Hoping we could go around and share our favorite album (yes, ONE, really) of 2019!

Mine:

Weyes Blood- Titanic Rising

In my experience there have been many times I discover an artist because they have a break out album. I then go back and listen to their prior albums and am surprised I hadn’t heard and loved them already.

That’s not the case with Weyes Blood.

Don‘t get me wrong. I certainly had no idea who they were until the Sub Pop signing. I just haven‘t clicked with the older albums... yet.

But hot damn if Titanic Rising doesn’t evoke ALL the feelings. It’s a masterpiece, IMO. Her voice is so in control and in synch with the rather melancholy music. I’m obsessed with it‘s way of making me feel hopeless and completely content with dying while also sparking hope for what tomorrow brings. Ive never really had an album simultaneously weave through the highs and lows of life with little more than a voice, a few memorable words, and some fantastic (albeit a bit exorbitant) instrumentation. I hope the older albums click with me soon, but if not I am totally A-OK with this here album.

Front Row Seat is such a great album.
That's when I her genius revealed itself. She does not belch as she does in Titanic (which her voice, oh man), but man it's enchanting. Shes definitely grown in confidence in herself as a songwriting and singer. Do You Need My Love is where it's at. Hoping it connects with you!

I'm already calling the new Big Thief album that's yet released as my top lol. All because of that Not song. If the rest of the album is as great as that single. We are all in for a ride. But, since it hasn't released yet, I'd also go with Titanic Rising.

Back