Drummers Drumming Drums

What made you decide to get their snare wires?
Price point is comparable to other nice ones I was looking at; they are 20 strand, which I want for my piccolo snare; they are made from raw carbon steel welded to a brass plate, which is one of the metals I was considering. Also, I thought it would be nice to support a smaller boutique company that makes their stuff by hand.

I bought some Sabian Quiet Tone cymbals last night. I figured what the hell, I called it a 50th birthday present to myself. The set was a 20" ride, 16" crash and 14" hats. I didn't really want the hi-hat, but it came in the set and I was impatient and didn't want to order separately online. I didn't get the Zildians like @nolalady 's husband recommended because the Z set had an 18" crash-ride instead of a 20" ride.

I took them to rehearsal and played them pretty hard last night at our lengthy 3 1/2 hour session. What a blast. The hats sounded pretty interesting, but also stranger sounding than any hats I've played before. The crash was amazingly present yet quiet, although cymbal swells were impossible. The ride played nice, but the bell was non-existent. These aren't for gigging, so those deficiencies didn't bother me. Although I could see maybe using the crash at a coffee house/small brewery gig.

I really think any parent who is helping their young ones get into drumming should consider these, they run about the same cost as low end brass.

My initial/early review is a positive one, but final determination will be after three, four or maybe even a dozen rehearsals.20190911_193843.jpg20190911_210746.jpg

I bought some Sabian Quiet Tone cymbals last night. I figured what the hell, I called it a 50th birthday present to myself. The set was a 20" ride, 16" crash and 14" hats. I didn't really want the hi-hat, but it came in the set and I was impatient and didn't want to order separately online. I didn't get the Zildians like @nolalady 's husband recommended because the Z set had an 18" crash-ride instead of a 20" ride.

I took them to rehearsal and played them pretty hard last night at our lengthy 3 1/2 hour session. What a blast. The hats sounded pretty interesting, but also stranger sounding than any hats I've played before. The crash was amazingly present yet quiet, although cymbal swells were impossible. The ride played nice, but the bell was non-existent. These aren't for gigging, so those deficiencies didn't bother me. Although I could see maybe using the crash at a coffee house/small brewery gig.

I really think any parent who is helping their young ones get into drumming should consider these, they run about the same cost as low end brass.

My initial/early review is a positive one, but final determination will be after three, four or maybe even a dozen rehearsals.View attachment 16916View attachment 16917
Oh, the kids have fun playing the quiet symbols. Very pretty.

I just ordered some snare wires from them.

Speaking of snare wires. I haven't been happy with my Yamaha snare's sound. It needed an overhaul, so put an unused bottom head from a snare I haven't used and put Puresound Super 30put wires. Then I messed with some tunings and stuff on and off for like 3 days, and finally got it sounding pretty sweet. But the real test was last night at our gig, and right at sound check the bass player noticed the improvement. It had more personality and sizzle, and man, the lightest touch gave a really nice snare sound. It's definitely what I was looking for.

This makes me want to experiment now, maybe go the other direction and put 16s on a different snare.

20190930_192435.jpg20190930_192641.jpg

Speaking of snare wires. I haven't been happy with my Yamaha snare's sound. It needed an overhaul, so put an unused bottom head from a snare I haven't used and put Puresound Super 30put wires. Then I messed with some tunings and stuff on and off for like 3 days, and finally got it sounding pretty sweet. But the real test was last night at our gig, and right at sound check the bass player noticed the improvement. It had more personality and sizzle, and man, the lightest touch gave a really nice snare sound. It's definitely what I was looking for.

This makes me want to experiment now, maybe go the other direction and put 16s on a different snare.

View attachment 18585View attachment 18586
One of my favorite resources for learning how to experiment:

One of my favorite resources for learning how to experiment:

Yep, I've spent some time there recently, great videos.

What's the story on those low volume cymbals? Liking them?

Definitely. It became important as we started the more serious show prep and I didn't feel I was getting the kind of practice I wanted, while being sympathetic to 4 singers among 8 total people. With these I was bashing away (not crazy hard, I'm not a super heavy hitter nowadays anyway) and they were just present enough to be heard. I switched back to regular hats though, after the first rehearsal.

Also, I'll watch them closely for breaks in the next few weeks.

sold my original sonor kit a while back and went with a pearl 5 piece. sold that when i left vegas for seattle. alomst a year ago i went with the alesis strike pro after playing it at my local gc. really digging it thus far and the crazy stupid amount of presets and maneuverability tech-wise in it. plus my dogs and wife still love me with headphones on or volume turned way down lol

sold my original sonor kit a while back and went with a pearl 5 piece. sold that when i left vegas for seattle. alomst a year ago i went with the alesis strike pro after playing it at my local gc. really digging it thus far and the crazy stupid amount of presets and maneuverability tech-wise in it. plus my dogs and wife still love me with headphones on or volume turned way down lol

Just checked it out online, it looks pretty sweet. How's the action? Several years ago there was a Roland I was interested in, loved the action on the heads and it was a blast to play but I never moved on it.

@Psymon - I gigged with the practice ride last night. (medium sized room for a dinner/Xmas show.) It was perfect for the early parts of set 1 but by the end of the night I felt it was lacking in output for rock/soul songs. The sound guy said the same thing. And I missed having a bell. I'd only use it again for small rooms. But as far as durability; the crash and ride have both gotten a lot of play in rehearsal and I haven't seen a crack or break yet.

Ive played both and until this set couldnt stand the alesis. I really dig the set - the cymbals (all e drums cymbals could use some work) require a learning curve - but the heads and size of the drum kit is great. id recommend just going to a guitar center and messing around on them. also i got a great deal so that helped a lot...

Just checked it out online, it looks pretty sweet. How's the action? Several years ago there was a Roland I was interested in, loved the action on the heads and it was a blast to play but I never moved on it.

If any of you are vintage snare fans, Nelson Drum Shop is selling off a large collection. Lots of Ludwig Pioneers and Slingerland Artist Models. They shipped really quick, and this drum is as clean as promised.

This is my first foray into anything vintage, drum-wise. These are reasonably priced because they aren't rare. I really excited to see
how a 6 lug snare is different than the 8 lug brass and 8 lug maple I have...especially recorded.

The bottom pic is the wall of snares they are selling off.

Ludwig.jpgKit.jpgDrum Wall.jpg

Back