Discogs - Help, Tricks, Secrets And Tips

One thing that is has been a bit of a learning curve for people are release dates - specifically when things are ordered online and shipped out at a later date.

There was a user recently that got onto Mondo's site and started changing release dates to when they could be ordered.

He changed Jaws S/T to July, because that's when it went up for ordering - it wasn't actually released/shipped out til December...but he was adamant that it is still a July release.

He got a bit excited and quit Discogs.

https://www.discogs.com/release/11304718-Jaws-Music-From-The-Motion-Picture/history

He did the same edits with the Ant-Man 2 S/T's - I reverted a couple ---then came a few EI votes.

People don't seem to understand that ordering online isn't when something is "released", which is why shipping date is something that you know there is a physical product is out in the wild.

One thing that is has been a bit of a learning curve for people are release dates - specifically when things are ordered online and shipped out at a later date.

There was a user recently that got onto Mondo's site and started changing release dates to when they could be ordered.

He changed Jaws S/T to July, because that's when it went up for ordering - it wasn't actually released/shipped out til December...but he was adamant that it is still a July release.

https://www.discogs.com/release/11304718-Jaws-Music-From-The-Motion-Picture/history

He did the same edits with the Ant-Man 2 S/T's - I reverted a couple ---then came a few EI votes.

People don't seem to understand that ordering online isn't when something is "released", which is why shipping date is something that you know there is a physical product is out in the wild.
My god, that is so asinine. Maybe discogs will create a release date and an announcement date entry section to try and get him to come back :ROFLMAO:

My god, that is so asinine. Maybe discogs will create a release date and an announcement date entry section to try and get him to come back :ROFLMAO:

My favorite part was his comment of "I wouldn't put that date there if I didn't have proof to make you look like a fool."

And yet he's the one who rage quit Discogs.

His "proof" on that page wasn't even that the S/T was "released" on that day, only that the poster was, at least that's how I read -

"In addition to the 2X Vinyl we'll be releasing the front cover artwork as a poster today at 2PM (CT) on mondotees.com."

My favorite part was his comment of "I wouldn't put that date there if I didn't have proof to make you look like a fool."

And yet he's the one who rage quit Discogs.

His "proof" on that page wasn't even that the S/T was "released" on that day, only that the poster was, at least that's how I read -

"In addition to the 2X Vinyl we'll be releasing the front cover artwork as a poster today at 2PM (CT) on mondotees.com."
This was my second fav discogs convo of the week, second only to my capitalization discussion on PROTO by Holly Herndon.

This was my second fav discogs convo of the week, second only to my capitalization discussion on PROTO by Holly Herndon.

Yeah...Capitalization is something that people get way too worked up over.

those are always fun - craziest one I have been the most involved in is the 100 overlayed The Beatles -The Beatles album

Yeah...Capitalization is something that people get way too worked up over.

here's where my hatred of doing much of anything related to contributing on discogs come from:

i had all my attempted edits of a tape label (Moon Glyph) voted EI or flagged because i tried standardizing the cat#s for the label discography. the label owner/artist uses a font on the spines for cat#s that is essentially all lowercase letters whether you type in mg or MG. all of the cat#s on the moon glyph site are MGXX, though, and the label owner has since clarified as much, which you would think would lend credence to having the cat#s labeled as MG and not mg. i was fine using mg for all of them, i just wanted the label discography page to be consistent, and felt that there was stronger reasoning to use MG over mg, so that's what i went with at the time. but arguing this was fruitless and completely soured me on contributing. i'm still on the cip because of it.

I am personally guilty of waiting for others to create entries for a new release before I can add it to my Discogs collection. I did add a few really obscure older records and the process is really not much fun.

Dude, I am having a similar dilemma right now.

A few months, I ordered Rilo Kiley's "The Execution Of All Things" off of Bandcamp. I wondered for about two weeks where the hell it was, checked into it, and discovered it wasn't "out" or something like that until May.

Flash forward to now: if it wasn't due for release, but I have it in my have it in my hands, then why:

1. Same details as the 2007 listing? I checked the matrixes... either I have an expanded matrix, or they reused the same plates and the matrix on Discogs is incomplete
2. Jenny Lewis's site says it is still "Coming Soon" when you click on it?

I don't have any idea what I have!

What are your policies for returns and refunds?

I recently sold and shipped a copy of Ready to Die. Aside from a bent corner (which I mentioned) the record was flawless to my knowledge - I had never opened it.

I just got a message from the buyer yesterday saying the records ripped through the inner sleeves and tore the outer jacket as well. He is asking to return or get a partial refund. What do you typically do in this situation? I took the effort to package it properly and he even complimented me on packing it carefully. I understand that he feels he didn't receive the product he thought he was buying, but it also seems to be more of a problem on USPS end than mine. Would they compensate me for the damaged product? This is what I have in my seller terms as this kind of rhetoric was also important when I used to sell sneakers:

"Buyer agrees to the condition of the record at the time of purchase and is responsible for whatever damage may occur once shipped. No returns."

Sellers are responsible for packing so damage, like seam splits, don't occur. Buyers aren't responsible for packing/shipping.

"Buyer agrees to the condition of the record at the time of purchase and is responsible for whatever damage may occur once shipped. No returns."

Pretty sure something like this wording is against Discogs Sellers guidelines.

I don't sell and seam splits are now a thing that you have to be prepared for in the days of online ordering. As a buyer, a partial refund of 20% would seem adequate.

I know this was a sealed record and there's not much to do other than pack it tight and cross your fingers.

But since you shipped it out, you are the one that can claim damage from USPS. I'd have the buyer send you photos.

Sellers are responsible for packing so damage, like seam splits, don't occur. Buyers aren't responsible for packing/shipping.

Pretty sure something like this wording is against Discogs Sellers guidelines.

I don't sell and seam splits are now a thing that you have to be prepared for in the days of online ordering. As a buyer, a partial refund of 20% would seem adequate.

I know this was a sealed record and there's not much to do other than pack it tight and cross your fingers.

But since you shipped it out, you are the one that can claim damage from USPS. I'd have the buyer send you photos.

I don't complain about small seem splits especially if it is only the inner because I just expect it now

I don't complain about small seem splits especially if it is only the inner because I just expect it now

Yeah. I'm used to it by now. I don't think I've gotten a bad enough seam split to complain.

Does anyone know how to hit the random/dice roller on the app? I can't seem to find it. Maybe it's not possible?

@LeeVing you have more experience on Discogs, the anthology, should it be one listing or three since there are three separate shipments

Back