Discogs - Help, Tricks, Secrets And Tips

I had issues with only a couple things since joining Discogs. The first thing was a fight with some other member on whether The Beach Boys -Smiley Smile should be listed as “Lo-Fi” stylistically. That one ended up going to a forum post because we pissed a bunch of people adding and deleting the style from the entry.

For the record: I ended up winning, and the Lo-Fi tag was removed but Not before pissing off a bunch of people in the process. To be fair I didn’t know that there was another way to debate information besides the entry notes as I wasn’t even aware that Discogs forum was a thing.

The second time I got in a bit of an issue was when I didn’t understand that Turntable Labs “Exclusivo” series was different than other Turntable Labs releases and tried to list all their releases under the one series. I went through and updated 4 or 5 releases to pull them in and then TTL barked at me and told me I shouldn’t have done that. I went through and reverted all my entries so all is well that ends well I suppose.

My biggest thing is not having votes on a lot of the things I've put up. Looks like I have 68 pending...

Some people get more votes in a day than I have my entire discogs experience....
I have 98 pending and only 41 total votes since 2016. I think GentleSenator gave about a quarter those votes :p

I am sure people are gaming the system to get votes. They either have multiple accounts or some friends to vote as soon as they make an edit. I have no proof, but that is my conspiracy theory anyway.

It is pretty vague on how to actually get voting rights. I think one of the things is to be logged in for a certain (uncertain?) amount of time. Another is to read every single guideline page. Maybe the number of votes matter, and your average voting "score" should be above 3.0 or something. Again, this is all my speculation. I think if I remember correctly, I had about 10 votes on my edits before the magical switch.

It is pretty vague on how to actually get voting rights. I think one of the things is to be logged in for a certain (uncertain?) amount of time. Another is to read every single guideline page. Maybe the number of votes matter, and your average voting "score" should be above 3.0 or something. Again, this is all my speculation. I think if I remember correctly, I had about 10 votes on my edits before the magical switch.

I'm sitting at 3.71 with 14 votes received.
My original contributions date back to 2007, but the majority are in the last 3-4 years.
Not sure I've read every single guideline page... just the ones I need as I need 'em.

It's funny, because I don't care and do care at the same time. I'd love to have voting rights, but have also done just fine without them.

For the meanwhile I'll just keep plugging along as I have and do.

Love it! 🤣

The main edits I remember ever getting only elicited an "Oh shit, my bad. Sorry!" out of me. 🫣
I've never gotten into a super edit war or anything... but i'm ready to defend whats right lol

I also found that I dont really need voting rights. Just make your edits and most of the time it sticks.

I've never gotten into a super edit war or anything... but i'm ready to defend whats right lol

I also found that I dont really need voting rights. Just make your edits and most of the time it sticks.

Haha fair! In the cases I mentioned I was definitely wrong! Like, typing 2013 instead of 2023 or creating a probably duplicate entry after thinking I'd searched thoroughly enough and not found the already existing one... nothing to argue in my case. I'm sure I would if I were in the right though!

Haha fair! In the cases I mentioned I was definitely wrong! Like, typing 2013 instead of 2023 or creating a probably duplicate entry after thinking I'd searched thoroughly enough and not found the already existing one... nothing to argue in my case. I'm sure I would if I were in the right though!
Ahh some of the cases are something stupid like what's considered an EP or a compilation or whatever. To be honest, I don't really care that much, its just very easy to edit.

Ahh some of the cases are something stupid like what's considered an EP or a compilation or whatever. To be honest, I don't really care that much, its just very easy to edit.

Honestly, what I miss most is being able to add things to Goodreads. I was able to years ago, but not anymore. Been trying to get a friend's book added for a hot minute now — every other book from her publisher is on there, but hers isn't.

It is why I will usually wait for someone else to enter something. My accuracy score whatever is shit and I’m like one mistake away from not being allowed to submit. And it’s not like I’ve ever entered anything in wrong (maybe the correct way to do track numbers). I’ve just left stuff out or I got yelled at once for putting the hype stick What’s baffling to me is the amount of but this rule says this and then someone else is like this rule says this. Then some knucklehead comes along and makes the listing for the variant you have something completely different.

I am the opposite. I will enter a basic entry knowing that the pedantic and fastidious will add or correct information as necessary.

When I make a submission I usually just add the bare minimum that makes it a unique submission - as I use the Copy From Draft to make some of it a bit easier. I'll add the runouts to show that I have it in hand - as some people will accuse you of not actually having it if you don't.

As most of these releases are movie scores, I don't have the time or the desire to enter all the credits - as I really don't care to list the 20 people that played violin on the release. Someone will eventually want to enter it.

I also don't post images when I upload - but will eventually if I need to. There is usually some asshat that will post a web image within an hour of uploading a new sub that I have to disable.

I took some time off the Discogs forums and my mental heath was much better, but I recently got sucked in to some shit that made me remember how good it was not to be on those forums. They are almost as bad as the Hoffman forums, maybe even equal.

As far as stats -

Pending 1,184

Rank Points 10,909
Average Vote 4.03
Votes Received 1,070
Last 10 Day Average 4.00
Last 10 Day Votes Received 1

I don't get too many votes, so my pendings are usually high. I really only lose pendings when someone edits after I do...not because it got voted on. I don't post on the "Vote on my edits" thread, so that may be why I don't get more. I know there's a lot of buddy voting going on, though.

Last edited:
The issue with Discogs is that the site sucks - they don't seem to know how to code a functional database with features we want - they use free labor without even taking suggestions and implementing them. They don't seem to have any way of testing changes, so new "features" bug the whole site and makes the bad UI even worse most of the time. I shouldn't have to use a plug-in to make the site more functional.

The forums have hardly any moderation. Support tickets for anything other than marketplace issues ($$$) take weeks to get a response.

I also don't post images when I upload - but will eventually if I need to. There is usually some asshat that will post a web image within an hour of uploading a new sub that I have to disable.
Wouldn't posting at least one image prevent that? Also, hypothetically, say no one else posts images, ever. That would annoy the hell outta me having items in my collection be imageless. In fact, I have a list of all releases I own with no images or incomplete images. Currently has 30 items. Eventually I'll get around to updating them.

Wouldn't posting at least one image prevent that? Also, hypothetically, say no one else posts images, ever. That would annoy the hell outta me having items in my collection be imageless. In fact, I have a list of all releases I own with no images or incomplete images. Currently has 30 items. Eventually I'll get around to updating them.

Maybe - but not posting images is allowed as long as it is not prior to the release date - posting web images is against the guidelines.

I've posted over 1300 images, so I do post images. I'm just not always ready to take decent ones that are up to my standards when I'm submitting a new release to the database. For things that I get that are before the release date, I'll take the required image on my phone as proof of ownership, but I don't feel this is necessary for things that aren't in this pre-release window.

I don't take the best images...and I agree that submissions with images are better than submissions without images. But I don't feel that a shitty pic of the front sleeve just to throw an image on the sub does anyone any good. A shitty pic or no pic - someone will have to add better image no matter what.

The issue with Discogs is that the site sucks - they don't seem to know how to code a functional database with features we want - they use free labor without even taking suggestions and implementing them. They don't seem to have any way of testing changes, so new "features" bug the whole site and makes the bad UI even worse most of the time. I shouldn't have to use a plug-in to make the site more functional.

The forums have hardly any moderation. Support tickets for anything other than marketplace issues ($$$) take weeks to get a response.

Oh marketplace issues take weeks too. Even when a customers payment cant be refunded.

Back