Discogs - Help, Tricks, Secrets And Tips

Quick question: is it rude for me to ask for a reason a buyer wants to return a record (at my expense)? This morning a buyer demanded to return a record and that I issue a return label ASAP. I said I would but first I would like to know the reason. The buyer then got irate and filed a PayPal claim against me. I'm trying to be open-minded rather than angry. Was I wrong to ask for a reason to pay for return shipping?

Quick question: is it rude for me to ask for a reason a buyer wants to return a record (at my expense)? This morning a buyer demanded to return a record and that I issue a return label ASAP. I said I would but first I would like to know the reason. The buyer then got irate and filed a PayPal claim against me. I'm trying to be open-minded rather than angry. Was I wrong to ask for a reason to pay for return shipping?
It is 100% reasonable to want an explanation.

If it was a problem with the condition or the description of the record that's one thing. If the buyer just changed his mind then IMO return shipping should be on them.

Sounds like they were rude about it; you're not Amazon, after all.
That's exactly what I said in one of my replies: "I'm not amazon.com. I'm a person like you who collects records and sells a few. I will issue you a return label (at my cost) but it would be helpful to know why. For example, if the record got damaged in transit, I may be able to file an insurance claim."

That's exactly what I said in one of my replies: "I'm not amazon.com. I'm a person like you who collects records and sells a few. I will issue you a return label (at my cost) but it would be helpful to know why. For example, if the record got damaged in transit, I may be able to file an insurance claim."
Sounds like you're being very reasonable. I know we like to complain about crummy sellers out there, but it seems like there's been an increase in the number of really rude and entiteld buyers over the last couple of years, too. This person's clearly one of them.

i'd be concerned this person is trying to scam you with some sort of swap scam. i think it's reasonable, if not an expectation, that they provide details as to their reasons.
Thanks, all, for your helpful replies.

I do wonder about this being a scam, especially because the person's name on discogs is a completely different name (and gender) from the person who went nuclear and immediately filed a PayPal claim.

Thanks, all, for your helpful replies.

I do wonder about this being a scam, especially because the person's name on discogs is a completely different name (and gender) from the person who went nuclear and immediately filed a PayPal claim.
Is the record in question an expensive one?

Your buyer is am asshole and may be trying to scam you and I'm sorry you're dealing with that because it's bullshit.

What a weirdo. I think they have to give a reason for the claim when they file a PayPal claim. If their reason is damage/not as described, I’d select a return and refund as the seller response. If they are truly that ignorant and choose an option that is clearly false (item never arrived, etc), I would call PayPal and show them tracking/proof and have them rule against the buyer. Unfortunately, there’s no scenario where you can deny a return, unless you join the buyer in wacky land and rant back at them that you refuse to comply (even though PayPal will force you to). Sorry you got a bad buyer.

What a weirdo. I think they have to give a reason for the claim when they file a PayPal claim. If their reason is damage/not as described, I’d select a return and refund as the seller response. If they are truly that ignorant and choose an option that is clearly false (item never arrived, etc), I would call PayPal and show them tracking/proof and have them rule against the buyer. Unfortunately, there’s no scenario where you can deny a return, unless you join the buyer in wacky land and rant back at them that you refuse to comply (even though PayPal will force you to). Sorry you got a bad buyer.
Update: the buyer claims they used my return label and sent the record back. We'll see if the hunch of @AndySlash is correct and it's a swap scam.

I guess I should write something in my seller settings to say that shipping for returns for no reason will be granted at the buyer's expense? But then that sets up a situation where a buyer could purposely damage it to get out of paying the return cost. I don't know.

Thankfully, 99% of discogs buyers and sellers are decent people, in my experience.

Update: the buyer claims they used my return label and sent the record back. We'll see if the hunch of @AndySlash is correct and it's a swap scam.

I guess I should write something in my seller settings to say that shipping for returns for no reason will be granted at the buyer's expense? But then that sets up a situation where a buyer could purposely damage it to get out of paying the return cost. I don't know.

Thankfully, 99% of discogs buyers and sellers are decent people, in my experience.
Are you waiting to receive it back to issue the refund?

Nope. That’s just really weird behaviour from the other side.

i need the help of someone who has experience shipping records from the US to Europe.

a fellow member on here is trying to send me two albums ( three records in total ) to Germany. USPS (at the post office) gave him a quote for $60 which really sounds like a lot for me.

i do frequently buy from US sellers and always pay $25 ( international first class?) for one or two records ( not sure i ever bought exactly three). but with more records i usually paid for the next bigger/ heavy box that costs around $40.

not trying to be super cheap here.
i just received two records in a super thick box with a record mailer inside. that box was 1kg. and i did not pay anything close to 60. still waiting to hear back from the seller, which option he used. i was usps too.

thanks !

i need the help of someone who has experience shipping records from the US to Europe.

a fellow member on here is trying to send me two albums ( three records in total ) to Germany. USPS (at the post office) gave him a quote for $60 which really sounds like a lot for me.

i do frequently buy from US sellers and always pay $25 ( international first class?) for one or two records ( not sure i ever bought exactly three). but with more records i usually paid for the next bigger/ heavy box that costs around $40.

not trying to be super cheap here.
i just received two records in a super thick box with a record mailer inside. that box was 1kg. and i did not pay anything close to 60. still waiting to hear back from the seller, which option he used. i was usps too.

thanks !
These are the costs I've found to be true when shipping to europe. They may be a couple bucks above what USPS will charge due to factoring in materials (box, tape, traveling to post office).

Under 2 lbs: $28.50
2-3 lbs. - $38.50
3-4 lbs. - $57.50
4-5 lbs. - $67.50
5-6 lbs. - $77.50
6-7 lbs. - $79.50

I could do with some advice if possible, please?

Someone in Russia wants to buy a record from me but Discogs has banned sales to that country. He/she said they have been using the address of an international friend to place orders but then request postage to Russia.

Sounds dodgy right? (I think I have convinced myself not to agree to this from writing it all out tbh).

These are the costs I've found to be true when shipping to europe. They may be a couple bucks above what USPS will charge due to factoring in materials (box, tape, traveling to post office).

Under 2 lbs: $28.50
2-3 lbs. - $38.50
3-4 lbs. - $57.50
4-5 lbs. - $67.50
5-6 lbs. - $77.50
6-7 lbs. - $79.50
@BazookaTooth keep in mind that these will be cheaper prices as well if they use a third party system like Pirate Ship. I don't have a printer and thus just go straight to the post office.

Back