"Desert Island" Discographies

DownIsTheNewUp

If you could only listen to the discographies of 15 musicians for the rest of your life, whose would they be?

Rules-
1) You can name musicians who are in multiple groups and gain access to all of it. Or bands and snag the solo projects...
2) You would be granted access to any and all future releases
3) Only 15. Think of it as 10 + 5 honorable mentions ;)

After spending the past week or so meditating on it, mine would be:

1) Radiohead (+ side/solo projects)
2) Talking Heads
3) Pink Floyd
4) Isaac Brock (Modest Mouse + Ugly Casanova)
5) Kendrick Lamar
6) Nicolas Jaar (Jaar + A.A.L. + Darkside)
7) Outkast
8) Can
9) Nine Inch Nails
10) Sonic Youth
11) The Beatles
12) David Bowie
13) Damon Albarn (Blur + Gorillaz)
14) Van Morrison
15) Grimes
`

Last edited:
pink floyd
pearl jam
r.e.m.
phish
peter gabriel
janet jackson
sigur ros
the black angels
alela diane
johnny cash
jj cale
herbie hancock
the orb
philip glass
dave matthews

pretty much all legacy artists because i’m old and if i’m going to be on an island alone the rest of my days i want the shit i’ve listened to most of my life and has the most meaning to me. quite a few newer artists being reluctantly omitted here, but i know what i want!

I'm probably the youngest of the entrants so far, so my list reflects that. Likely will adjust these, as I've never given this deep thought in my own time.
  • Julia Holter
  • Kendrick Lamar
  • Brian Eno
  • Björk
  • Kate Bush
  • Can
  • Alice Coltrane
  • Godspeed You! Black Emperor
  • SOPHIE
  • Grimes
  • Radiohead
  • D'Angelo
  • Modest Mouse
  • Mr. Bungle
  • Stereolab
EDIT: I have replaced Portishead with SOPHIE, assuming that I get access to anything that she has produced/been involved in.

Last edited:
I'm probably the youngest of the entrants so far, so my list reflects that. Likely will adjust these, as I've never given this deep thought in my own time.
  • Julia Holter
  • Kendrick Lamar
  • Brian Eno
  • Björk
  • Kate Bush
  • Can
  • Alice Coltrane
  • Godspeed You! Black Emperor
  • Portishead
  • Grimes
  • Radiohead
  • D'Angelo
  • Modest Mouse
  • Mr. Bungle
  • Stereolab

Confirming, once again, just how much overlap there is in our tastes. How old are you again? Late 20's? (I'm 34).

This is very interesting, I've never seen a desert island discographies, only just with albums.

my list

1. The Mountain Goats
  2. The Radio Dept.
  3. The National
  4. Eluvium
  5. Stars of the Lid
  6. Sufjan Stevens
  7. Spiritualized
  8. Jens Lekman
  9. The Tallest Man on Earth
  10. Beach House
  11. Angel Olsen
  12. Jonathan Richman
  13. Sigur Ros
  14. Yo La Tengo
  15. The Kinks

What an excellent idea for a thread. Here's mine;

1. Bruce Springsteen
2. David Bowie
3. Radiohead
4. Oasis
5. Editors
6. The Coral
7. Neil Young
8. Peter Gabriel
9. Paul Weller
10. Joy Division / New Order
11. Suede
12. Richard Hawley
13. The National
14. Rolling Stones
15. The Beatles
Had to bump Kanye because I forgot The National!

Good thread.

1.) Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree
2.) Sigur Ros
3.) Bonnie Prince Billy
4.) King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard
5.) Pink Floyd
6.) Grateful Dead
7.) Tori Amos
8.) Frank Zappa
9.) Dream Theater
10.) Johan Johannson
11.) Smashing Pumpkins
12.) Swans
13.) Max Richter
14.) Pinback
15.) Elephant Six Orchestra

Several were picked based on size of discography and related projects. Made me reconsider some favorites who aren't very prolific.

The move here is to compile a list of 15 people like Nile Rodgers. He alone would get you albums by Chic, INXS, Duran Duran, Diana Ross, Keith Urban, David Bowie, Luther Vandross, Ariana Grande, Weird Al, Bryan Ferry, Paul Simon, Daft Punk, Cee-Lo, Madonna, Sheena Easton, Sister Sledge, Mariah Carey, Janet Jackson, Steve Miller Band, Michael Bolton, Prince, George Michael, Pitbull, 50 Cent, Snoop Dogg, Santana, Michael Jackson, Cyndi Lauper, Paul Weller, Notorious BIG, Rick Ross, Lil' Kim, Hall & Oates, Dusty Springfield, Beastie Boys, Dandy Warhols, Robert Plant, Brooks & Dunn, David Lee Roth, Destiny's Child, the B-52s, Tom Jones, Britney Spears, Boy George, Tori Amos, Warren G, Steve Winwood, Quincy Jones, Ric Ocasek, Blondie, Public Enemy, Jeff Beck, Peter Gabriel...hell, even Pat Boone.

The move here is to compile a list of 15 people like Nile Rodgers. He alone would get you albums by Chic, INXS, Duran Duran, Diana Ross, Keith Urban, David Bowie, Luther Vandross, Ariana Grande, Weird Al, Bryan Ferry, Paul Simon, Daft Punk, Cee-Lo, Madonna, Sheena Easton, Sister Sledge, Mariah Carey, Janet Jackson, Steve Miller Band, Michael Bolton, Prince, George Michael, Pitbull, 50 Cent, Snoop Dogg, Santana, Michael Jackson, Cyndi Lauper, Paul Weller, Notorious BIG, Rick Ross, Lil' Kim, Hall & Oates, Dusty Springfield, Beastie Boys, Dandy Warhols, Robert Plant, Brooks & Dunn, David Lee Roth, Destiny's Child, the B-52s, Tom Jones, Britney Spears, Boy George, Tori Amos, Warren G, Steve Winwood, Quincy Jones, Ric Ocasek, Blondie, Public Enemy, Jeff Beck, Peter Gabriel...hell, even Pat Boone.
Nile Rodgers
Dave Fridmann
Phil Spector
Rick Rubin
Dr. Dre
Quincy Jones
Steve Albini
Brian Eno
Sam Phillips
Berry Gordy

(Not my real list, just wanted to see who I could come up with to give me the broadest cross-section possible.)

There’s so many caveats in this thread that you’ve not only not been shipwrecked with a couple of treasures but you’ve chosen to go by container freight ship bringing along your entire lifetimes accumulation of stuff…

Leave it to N&G forum folk to find a loophole to being shipwrecked
So you've been shipwrecked on a mysterious island that has a giant amphitheater, stage, lights, instruments, sound equipment, and pyrotechnics. What band would you want to have wash up on shore alongside you to get private concerts from before they resort to eating you?

Back