"Desert Island" Discographies

1. Jimmy Buffett (it IS an island!)
2. Grateful Dead
3. Phish - (including TAB, MGB, Vida Blue, and Pork Tornado)
4. Miles Davis
5. Frank Zappa
6. Grateful Dead (including JGB)
7. John Coltrane
8. Talking Heads
9. Les Claypool
10. Frank Sinatra
11. Steely Dan
12. Bob Marley (see No. 1)
13. Thelonious Monk
14. The Beatles
15. Jimmy Cliff (see No. 1 and 12)

So you've been shipwrecked on a mysterious island that has a giant amphitheater, stage, lights, instruments, sound equipment, and pyrotechnics. What band would you want to have wash up on shore alongside you to get private concerts from before they resort to eating you?
Other way around. I want to book in a big band so i can kill them all and have a big cannibal bbq

Well you’ve got to kill and butcher them all pretty quickly so they don’t get suspicious plus new rule this self powering mega arena clearly has backstage fridges and freezers fo store the bands riders
This changes everything. Still would have to kill and clean them all at once (or very quickly) and then just line them up in the giant magical walkin freezer.

So you've been shipwrecked on a mysterious island that has a giant amphitheater, stage, lights, instruments, sound equipment, and pyrotechnics. What band would you want to have wash up on shore alongside you to get private concerts from before they resort to eating you?
This is the sort of poignant question that I show up for, lol.

Hmmmm, this is interesting. In no particular order:

1. David Bowie
2. Tori Amos
3. Bjork
4. Bad Religion
5. Spelling
6. Miles Davis
7. Olafur Arnolds
8. Esparanza Spalding
9. Elton John
10. Billy Joel
11. Beyoncé
12. Madonna
13. Prince
14. George Clanton
15. Queensryche

This is the sort of poignant question that I show up for, lol.
You make us sound like animals
373cd4b9ef6300684a2bc7dab977b62c.jpg

This is very interesting, I've never seen a desert island discographies, only just with albums.

my list

1. The Mountain Goats
  2. The Radio Dept.
  3. The National
  4. Eluvium
  5. Stars of the Lid
  6. Sufjan Stevens
  7. Spiritualized
  8. Jens Lekman
  9. The Tallest Man on Earth
  10. Beach House
  11. Angel Olsen
  12. Jonathan Richman
  13. Sigur Ros
  14. Yo La Tengo
  15. The Kinks
Looking at this again and how the heck did I forget about The Replacements??

The Kinks are being Replaced for The Replacements

1. The Mountain Goats
  2. The Radio Dept.
  3. The National
  4. Eluvium
  5. Stars of the Lid
  6. Sufjan Stevens
  7. Spiritualized
  8. Jens Lekman
  9. The Tallest Man on Earth
  10. Beach House
  11. Angel Olsen
  12. Jonathan Richman
  13. Sigur Ros
  14. Yo La Tengo
  15. The Replacements

My actual list is more like

1. Bill Callahan (+ Smog)
2. Hiss Golden Messenger
3. Psychic Ills
4. Ripley Johnson (Moon Duo, Wooden Shjips, Rose City Band)
5. Josh Ritter
6. Nick Cave (Bad Seeds, Birthday Party, collabs with Warren Ellis, Grinderman, etc.)
7. Huey Lewis & The News
8. DeYarmond Edison (this gives me all of the work of Justin Vernon, Phil Cook, and Chris Porterfield, including Bon Iver, Volcano Choir, Big Red Machine, Megafaun, Field Report, The Shouting Matches, Gayngs, etc.)
9. Floating Action
10. Neil Young
11. Dead Meadow
12. War On Drugs (I'm going to include Kurt Vile here)
13. Tom Petty
14. Steve Mason (& Beta Band)

and of course, can't leave home without it

15. The Sea & Cake

I'm actually a little iffy on 10 & 11. I could be persuaded to swap those out. Maybe Barr Brothers for Dead Meadow.

My List, might need a container ship for all the discographies included in #1/#2.

1. Traveling Wilburys
  2. Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young
  3. Pearl Jam
  4. Grateful Dead
  5. Drive~By Truckers
  6. Bjork
  7. Lou Reed
  8. Gillian Welch & David Rawlings
  9. Flaming Lips
  10. Aretha Franklin
  11. Genesis
  12. Beastie Boys
  13. Rilo Kiley/Jenny Lewis
  14. Miles Davis
  15. Sarah Vaughn
Potentially swap out 15 for Al Green depending on who I'm shipwrecked with.

Nile Rodgers
Dave Fridmann
Phil Spector
Rick Rubin
Dr. Dre
Quincy Jones
Steve Albini
Brian Eno
Sam Phillips
Berry Gordy

(Not my real list, just wanted to see who I could come up with to give me the broadest cross-section possible.)

I didn't ask which producer's discographies you'd take with you ;)

I didn't ask which producer's discographies you'd take with you ;)
But almost all of them ARE musical artists too! Do we only get to take music where someone *performed* on the record? What is performance? What about composers? Lyricists? Aren’t we hearing their work too when we listen to a record, even if it’s not their breath or vocal chords or hands making the sounds?

Not *just* trying to be difficult here (although, also that) but I think there’s actually something to delve into here. If I pick Ray Charles, do I get Kanye West sampling Ray Charles? For that matter, if I pick Kanye West, do I get all the beats he made for other people? What is that, if not instrumentation?

But almost all of them ARE musical artists too! Do we only get to take music where someone *performed* on the record? What is performance? What about composers? Lyricists? Aren’t we hearing their work too when we listen to a record, even if it’s not their breath or vocal chords or hands making the sounds?

Not *just* trying to be difficult here (although, also that) but I think there’s actually something to delve into here. If I pick Ray Charles, do I get Kanye West sampling Ray Charles? For that matter, if I pick Kanye West, do I get all the beats he made for other people? What is that, if not instrumentation?

I’m all for old school desert island discs. You get 7 songs on 7” records and at the end you have to pick one to save from the waves as they are getting washed out! Hard choices are good!

Back