Definitive Audiophile pressings

I have owned 4 one-steps:

1. Kind of Blue 33rpm (Analog Productions)
2. Coltrane Lush Life (Craft)
3. Lateef Eastern Sounds (Craft)
4. Kind of Blue 45 rpm (MoFi)

Issues:
Kind of Blue 33 rpm has distortion issues on Blue in Green. Think this may have been a common problem, and I should ask AP for a replacement disc, but it has been a couple years now since purchase. So probably too late for that.

Coltrane Lush Life, I cannot recall if it was noisy, but its been a bit since I spun it. I don't recall being blown away by it though.

Eastern Sounds, I was sent a replacement copy because it was noisy.

Kind of Blue Mofi 45 rpm - so this was a strange situation. The album was very noisy and I eventually returned it to Music Direct. I later found out that this was an unannounced test run for the super vinyl. I remember opening up the KOB and seeing the discs were translucent. Thought that was odd. Regardless it sounded like shit, so I requested a replacement from Music Direct. They sent me a new copy (standard black) and that sounds good. I later found out on Discogs and elsewhere that there was a small run of super vinyl KOBs (boxsets numbered between 12,000 and 13,500, or something like that). Guess they were/are selling for like $400+. I had a picture up on Discogs of the translucent records, but it was eventually removed by someone.

I listen to lots of Tone Poets that are dead silent. Other standard Grateful Dead MoFi's that sound amazing and have zero noise.

Regent_Street Oct 1, 2021

Will the small number that got pressed on Super Vinyl somewhere in the serial number 12000's range get its own discogs entry?
ReplyHide replies1 Helpful
    dancbmac Nov 29, 2021

It was separate at one time, but some of the folks that manage the entires here on discogs insisted that they be merged. I gave input and uploaded photos of my copy, but those that have voting ability overruled and the two listings were merged into one with a couple of lines mentioning the test run. One person that does inputs and changes was very adamant about only one listing because he said he never seen any. He also blocked my photos and said I took them from some website, but they were my actual photos. I’m guessing that website, which I have never visited before used my photos. I was a newby going against some expert who had voting privileges and I couldn’t vote on any of my inputs. I didn’t like it, but I wasn’t going to beat my head against the wall, because this expert knew it all, but did not know about these SV pressings
Lush Life is just not an incredible recording to begin with. It's the least impressive sounding of the Craft One Steps easily. I was kinda surprised they did that one although I guess they did it for the Coltrane name/sales alone. The distortion on the KoB UHQR was a pretty widespread issue too and as @Turbo said, that's not supervinyl. My Eastern Sounds is dead quiet and probably my favorite of the craft one steps so far. Most of my MoFi one steps are really quiet too. I can't think of many of mine that sound noisy and the silence of quiet passages on most of mine is really impressive. have been more than a few times where i had to double check that the input on my amp was set to my TT haha. Also once forgot that the record was spinning and left my TT running overnight in the deadwax :(

Ultimate YMMV/dimished returns on a one step. It's definitely like, does it sound 5x better than X copy? Usually not. The way I treat them is, if it's a title I absolutely love, and I find it worth 3 figures (or close to) to hear a different presentation/dynamically different take on an album, I'll go for it. I've done it exactly 3 times. I love 2 of them, and quite like the 3rd.

It's nearly impossible to make a record noise free without DSP, but definitely find certain series from certain labels to have a better track record than others. Can't say MoFi is at the top of that list, either.

Ultimate YMMV/dimished returns on a one step. It's definitely like, does it sound 5x better than X copy? Usually not. The way I treat them is, if it's a title I absolutely love, and I find it worth 3 figures (or close to) to hear a different presentation/dynamically different take on an album, I'll go for it. I've done it exactly 3 times. I love 2 of them, and quite like the 3rd.

It's nearly impossible to make a record noise free without DSP, but definitely find certain series from certain labels to have a better track record than others. Can't say MoFi is at the top of that list, either.
which is the one you "quite like"?

Lush Life is just not an incredible recording to begin with. It's the least impressive sounding of the Craft One Steps easily. I was kinda surprised they did that one although I guess they did it for the Coltrane name/sales alone. The distortion on the KoB UHQR was a pretty widespread issue too and as @Turbo said, that's not supervinyl. My Eastern Sounds is dead quiet and probably my favorite of the craft one steps so far. Most of my MoFi one steps are really quiet too. I can't think of many of mine that sound noisy and the silence of quiet passages on most of mine is really impressive. have been more than a few times where i had to double check that the input on my amp was set to my TT haha. Also once forgot that the record was spinning and left my TT running overnight in the deadwax :(
Just spun Lush Life again. No noise issues on that one. It sounds very good, but can't say it is vastly superior to a simple Tone Poet release. As you mentioned it might be the source material as the limiting factor there.

Just spun Lush Life again. No noise issues on that one. It sounds very good, but can't say it is vastly superior to a simple Tone Poet release. As you mentioned it might be the source material as the limiting factor there.
yea-- i think it's just not a recording that i have ever felt was amazing on any copy I've had.

the Monk, Mingus and Dylan MoFi one steps are really excellent. Loved Eastern Sounds Craft. Really enjoy the Isaac Hayes despite the tape issues. The White Stripes UHQR is really damn good (though not that vinyl formula). That one has been kind of the biggest surprise for me in terms of these expensive reissues.

Huh… there is a video on Acoustic Sound’s YouTube where Chad interviews Dillon from Noble Records. If you weren’t aware, Noble Records has started a reissue label. It’s mostly psych and NC rock. QRP will be doing some work for them.

Huh… there is a video on Acoustic Sound’s YouTube where Chad interviews Dillon from Noble Records. If you weren’t aware, Noble Records has started a reissue label. It’s mostly psych and NC rock. QRP will be doing some work for them.

I've been to Noble records, great little shop. Kinda tucked away off a busy business district road next to a mega-church parking lot, go figure. Very well curated selection of used records. Been following their owner on Youtube and Instagram. They have a Holy Moly wall of rare and hard-to-find, highly valuable used records that you can only buy in person. Tempted to drive an hour and a half up the interstate sometimes to splurge

I picked up the Farm reissue that Noble Records was behind. It was really good.

I've been to Noble records, great little shop. Kinda tucked away off a busy business district road next to a mega-church parking lot, go figure. Very well curated selection of used records. Been following their owner on Youtube and Instagram. They have a Holy Moly wall of rare and hard-to-find, highly valuable used records that you can only buy in person. Tempted to drive an hour and a half up the interstate sometimes to splurge
I will be in the area at EOM. I'll have to remember to stop in.

More Kevin Gray wizardry. Rhino Hi-Fi version of Cars - Candy-O. Compared to the Mofi (which I think sounds good), this was a better balanced presentation with stellar instrument separation. Fun listen.

Rhino mailer was okay and no corner dings. American Beauty arrives today. Looking forward to seeing how that one stacks up.
Cars.jpg

Last edited:
Back