Definitive Audiophile pressings

People only complain about D2C if their customer service and/or shipping boxes stink. Impex/Elusive Disc and AP/Acoustic Sounds are D2C. Rhino and Craft are just much better at label stuff than they are at retail. Elusive Disc and Music Direct and Acoustic Sounds are full blown retail arms of their parent companies that sell a variety of music not just their own supply. Rhino and Craft are mainly just labels and half-assing the retail side

This is why I thought it was so incredibly ironic when Chad bought out Michael Hobson. Two peas in a pod.
frustrating because we were supposedly gonna get some nice reissue series from AP like a whole Pablo and potentially Riverside reissue series. Those got killed because Chad supposedly got greedy.

Chad buying out Hobson was a smart move. Because now he just reuses Classic Records plates for "new" reissue series like the Atlantic 75 series and saves himself a buncha money.

People only complain about D2C if their customer service and/or shipping boxes stink. Impex/Elusive Disc and AP/Acoustic Sounds are D2C. Rhino and Craft are just much better at label stuff than they are at retail. Elusive Disc and Music Direct and Acoustic Sounds are full blown retail arms of their parent companies that sell a variety of music not just their own supply. Rhino and Craft are mainly just labels and half-assing the retail side
Agreed and known - I just looked at the Bluesville site again and it looks like these will be out at normal retailers. I originally thought just from Craft via that Bluesville domain (and attractive price if you want both).

new the original source box. seventeen LPs haha. wild.
To keep a reasonable side length most will have to be cut with one movement a side.

The big question is - what are they going to do with the 3 recorded 16/44 digital?

And - while these are glorious performances, the recorded sound was absolute shit. Bright, glaring, heavy on the spot mics. Virtually unlistenable.

But, the nice part about a heavily multi-mic'd recording is that there are presumably lots of tracks to remix from.

Reactions: OMC
Do you have the Rhino The Captain And Me copy yet?
I do not. I do think I’m going to take the plunge. I’ve been on the fence on Marquee Moon (ducks plate thrown across the room — because while I think the title track is one of greatest, on the copy I have I find myself always wanting to skip the first track and I’d be bummed if the new mastering left me in the same spot) and hate paying shipping :p

To keep a reasonable side length most will have to be cut with one movement a side.

The big question is - what are they going to do with the 3 recorded 16/44 digital?

And - while these are glorious performances, the recorded sound was absolute shit. Bright, glaring, heavy on the spot mics. Virtually unlistenable.

But, the nice part about a heavily multi-mic'd recording is that there are presumably lots of tracks to remix from.
At one time Deutche Grammaphon touted having the capability to record on up to 100 channels. Your “Bright, glaring, heavy on the spot mics.” comment is, ahem, spot on and pertains to almost all releases by the company. Mercury Records three mic tree did the job simply and wonderfully, to my ears.

Last edited:
Back