Definitive Audiophile pressings

Mixing and Mastering are completely different,Mixing is making a complete song from individual tracks, all sounding good(great) together and adding effects etc and then sequencing the album, Mastering is making those songs sound great together and making the whole album sound good as a piece. If you listen to an Original Artisan mastered Exile for example, there is a “Vibe” about it that has never been bettered, no matter how many "Remasteres" have been produced (a LOT) I'm not saying that Grey can't make the album sound "Clearer/cleaner , but that doesn't necessarily make it a better cut.
Peace. I was talking artist sound intent.
I don't want the mastering to color the tape sound. I only want it to translate the tape to vinyl with as much fidelity as possible.

Isn’t it possible the grunginess you’re used to is just because of digital compression? And isn’t that KG’s thing to not add compression?

I think since I’m used to the bellman cut, this is a nice but subtle improvement on it so I enjoy it a lot.
Possible, I haven't had a chance to a-b with the Qobuz yet but it is on my list of things to do. As a general rule though, I don't really equate grunginess with compression.

Someone dug up this interview on the Marquee Moon recording.
Pushed me to order it now.
I am jelly on cool music stories I guess

AL: You produced all your own records, right?

TV: Yeah—I mean, in the early days, on Marquee Moon, I didn’t even know what a producer did. I started listening to records and I didn’t know what an engineer did as opposed to this or that, and Fred Smith again played me some Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin—there was this key pile of records that all seemed to be done by Andy Johns. I thought, “Well, we don’t sound like any of these people, but I guess these are good-sounding records” [laughs], “so let’s get that guy.” We somehow found him in his apartment, he was living in LA, and he was a real riot—“How the hell did you find me? What do you want me to do?” [Laughs.] He said, “Well, OK, I’m not doing anything around Christmas—I’ll come to New York.” He had no clue what we were doing. He also had an enormous appetite for alcohol; the first night it was two large bottles of wine and a case of beer. He came in with this under his arm, a shopping bag with wine and a huge case of beer [laughs]. We were playing within two hours—he was really fast. And he would pull me out in the hall: “What kind of music is this? Is this a Velvet Underground trip? What is this, is this New York subway music?” So that went on for about ten days, and then he said, “Well, I guess you don’t really need me, I’m going back to LA tomorrow.” So we did the overdubs with the tape-op guy, who was actually a decent engineer, and then we had to beg him to come back to mix it. He came back right around New Year’s to mix it, and suddenly, I guess, he heard what we were doing or he had an ear for it, and he said, “Ah, I see what this is, I see what this is.” He became really enthusiastic in mixing it. It turned out well. It was probably one of the five oldest studios still working in New York at the time. It had a board with tubes, with the valves, which gave it a kind of sound. And there was no equalization on the board, and there were no compressors, so it was this very basic kind of thing, which he was really mad about when he saw it—he thought, “What are you working on here, a World War II recording desk?” [Laughs.] “This is crazy.” It was at A & R, a room that Phil Ramone had built for himself, so they didn’t rent it out much. I think Dionne Warwick records were made there. It wasn’t a giant, spacious place but it did have a nice sound. The reason I liked it was that it looked like our rehearsal loft—it was a bit sloppy and not gigantic, but easy to work in
Amazing! And now it’s an audiophile hot topic. Would love to know what Richard Lloyd thinks, but he probably doesn’t even know it’s been reissued so many times!

I don't want to miss out on MM, but I also don't want to spend $40 at this time, for multiple reasons (budget/vinyl diet/duplicate title). Guess I'll take my chances.

I'm in the same boat. Already bought 3 records this month so holding off a bit for this one. I'm hoping a 20% code shows up for Warner Canada. But if it's anything like The Cars it will sellout on the US Rhino store first and be available for a couple more days on the Warner Canada shop 👍🏼

I don't want to miss out on MM, but I also don't want to spend $40 at this time, for multiple reasons (budget/vinyl diet/duplicate title). Guess I'll take my chances.
I am likely getting another copy because my dumb ass wasn’t paying attention and one of my kitties jumped up on my turntable and put too faint yet sadly still audible scratches pretty much through the entire length of the title track. It’s super light and is only audible during the quieter parts but because I know it’s there it’s all I can hear unfortunately. I get paid tomorrow and if they still have copies then I am gonna purchase another one. The good thing is the jacket on my current copy was in perfect condition so I won’t be holding my breath too much worrying about the jacket condition.

I am likely getting another copy because my dumb ass wasn’t paying attention and one of my kitties jumped up on my turntable and put too faint yet sadly still audible scratches pretty much through the entire length of the title track. It’s super light and is only audible during the quieter parts but because I know it’s there it’s all I can hear unfortunately. I get paid tomorrow and if they still have copies then I am gonna purchase another one. The good thing is the jacket on my current copy was in perfect condition so I won’t be holding my breath too much worrying about the jacket condition.
IMG_1481.jpeg
Assholes.

I'm happy to get a nice obi on a Japanese pressing, but I think the trend to stick them on other shit should stop . Obi means Sash in Japanese and it is an important and finishing touch to traditional clothing .
I agree. I think the purpose of an obi is to provide information in japanese about an album while keeping the outer sleeve as original as possible

I mean most “obis” on this side of the Atlantic (VMP, rhino, etc) aren’t obis any how. Obis are a band around the jacket. These are like small j-cards. I hate them but in the event that I want to get rid of a precious, I stuff them in the jacket.

I do the same with those J cards... stuff them in the jacket somehow. I keep them in case I end up getting rid of the record (pif, sale or whatnot).

See, I can get with this. "This sounds awesome. I'm done." I feel like we are snipe hunting sometimes in this hobby.
And I'm definitely guilty of that at times however I usually hunt pressings because I enjoy the differences, rather than being on some quest for the ultimate pressing of things. I enjoy trying different versions sometimes, it's really interesting to hear the differences. In some cases I think it comes down to expectations. Like I bought this knowing it could be a disaster, so when the only issue is popping during the spoken intro to Add it Up, and the rest is dead near perfect, then that's a win and I'm done.

Last edited:
And I'm definitely guilty of that at times however I usually hunt pressings because I enjoy the differences, rather than being on some quest for the ultimate pressing of things. I enjoy trying different versions sometimes, it's really interesting to hear the differences. In some cases I think it comes down to expectations. Like I bought this knowing it could be a disaster, so when the only issue is popping during the spoken intro to Add it Up, and the rest is dead near perfect, then that's a win and I'm done.
I mean I have three copies of the white album.

Back