Definitive Audiophile pressings

Boom boom alert! @Ghost get in here!

Boom boom alert! @Ghost get in here!
Let’s gooo. This is my fave of hers, this is exciting.

Obi are just an aesthetic thing like colored vinyl. They are kinda fun but I wouldn’t necessarily pay a bunch more for an album with an obi-strip.

That being said, if I buy an album that is missing an obi-strip that once had one, It would feel incomplete and that feeling would remain every time I pulled the album off my shelf. I would feel similarly if I had an album missing liner notes or a printed inner sleeve as well.

Obi are just an aesthetic thing like colored vinyl. They are kinda fun but I wouldn’t necessarily pay a bunch more for an album with an obi-strip.

That being said, if I buy an album that is missing an obi-strip that once had one, It would feel incomplete and that feeling would remain every time I pulled the album off my shelf. I would feel similarly if I had an album missing liner notes or a printed inner sleeve as well.

Whereas to me it’s more like shrink or a sticker on the shrink. Rip it off and bin it, meaningless advertising. As such the cheaper no obi ones on the Japanese sites are my happy place!

Whereas to me it’s more like shrink or a sticker on the shrink. Rip it off and bin it, meaningless advertising. As such the cheaper no obi ones on the Japanese sites are my happy place!
I use a hair dryer to pull off hype stickers as save those as well. I enjoy the graphic designs/aesthetic of it all.

I’m kinda just there 99% for the tunes and the other 1% probably extends to the sleeve and the sort of romantic idea of vinyl.
The music is what matters ultimately but this silly hobby of ours has many facets. Some other things I take into consideration are collectibility, value, and aesthetics.

Yeah, occasionally one slips through that's a bit rough, I got 20 records from them the other week and one was pretty marked up and noisey, I've given it another clean, but haven't had a chance to listen yet. But most were as described.
I forget—what’s the consensus on VG+ media from record city?

Re OBI strips - I don't particularly seek them out, but their presence in good condition on a japanese record gives me added confidence that the record was well taken care of and that the grading is accurate. I’m not sure how scientific that is though. But I have my limits if it jacks up the price a lot.

Re OBI strips - I don't particularly seek them out, but their presence in good condition on a japanese record gives me added confidence that the record was well taken care of and that the grading is accurate. I’m not sure how scientific that is though. But I have my limits if it jacks up the price a lot.
Pretty much what I was going to say. If they are there, great and I will pay a few bucks more but not searching them out.

Yeah, the Rhino Television is something else, I have the 2018 Rocktober cut which sounds really fantastic but this is pulling out some instrumentation that was a bit lost in the mud before. I am so used to other cuts it’s gonna take some time to get used to this. I think I prefer the Rhino cut but I not sure yet. I will need to spin it a few more times to take it all in.

I actually agree with Fremer all this audiophile stuff is ruining music. I jest a little. I like mud to be mud if that is what was intended 9except for Exile on Main Street because otherwise I wouldn't be a music junkie who is overopiniated. There has to be some hypocrisy.)

Back