Definitive Audiophile pressings

Copper plated in gold is $800
Copper plated in silver is 450

According to links @Twentytwo posted in the preorder thread

So the gold one is probably:
View attachment 193515
giphy.gif

boomboom alert!

Ok, so this is not really audiophile, but I don't know where else to talk about it. So I picked up the VMP Madlib Shades of Blue although I already have the Blue Notes Classics. Figured why not while I'm subscribed (I won't renew after this month). All the talk about the mastering being different and VMP's sounding "more hip-hop" was intriguing.

I'll definitely agree on the VMP being more "hip-hop". Anyway, I'm completely torn. I don't know what I expected, but I think I prefer the Blue Note Classics. I played the VMP first and really liked it. Then I tossed the Classics back on and it's so much more open. It's a bit of a toss-up because they're essentially both good, but the extra separation and crispiness in the highs on the Classics, I really like. I also expected the VMP to be more bassy, but I can barely tell a difference between the two on my system. Maybe the bass is more pronounced on the VMP, but the Classics is no slouch and the bass is definitely tighter. Oh, the vinyl pressing is better on the Classics too. The groove noise is more silent, and yes I know there are tons of crackle in the samples, but the Optimal pressing is quieter.

Anyway, upshot both good. Probably matter of preference. I think I like the Classics more, but I'm still debating. Definitely different though.
I agree on your review. I have both, but the Classics gets the edge for me.

since i'm too lazy to look, do we assume that the new Smile album will have a different pressing for the EU/UK than US? Did they do that on the last one?
Yeah, I haven't preordered this one yet for this exact reason. Bet EU/UK will get Optimal pressings and US will get URP.

Edit: USA Canada pressings are MRP. It's listed on Discogs.

One of the best things about converting our fireplace to gas is I no longer seek out obi strips, They were really expensive compared to other kindling.
If you would have saved them, your local record shop would have paid you 2 cents more on the dollar when you trade them in.

Television hot take - the Rhino HiFi is a slight evolution from my Chris Bellman 2012 Rhino, with basically what I hear as increased instrument separation. That clears up the bass (the CB already boosted the bass) to make it more discernable and also makes the highs and mids a little less harsh to my ears than the CB. Sounds fantastic when I crank up the volume.

There are very few I’d pay more for on an album…
I’ve mentioned this before, but I seek out Japanese pressings without the obi’s bc of the price difference, especially for certain sellers who discount heavily for “no obi,” And I remove all obi strips that I do have, all sitting in a pile on a shelf.

I’ve mentioned this before, but I seek out Japanese pressings without the obi’s bc of the price difference, especially for certain sellers who discount heavily for “no obi,” And I remove all obi strips that I do have, all sitting in a pile on a shelf.

Exactly the same. I see no reason to keep a record company flyer.

Back