Definitive Audiophile pressings

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but here goes. My wife bought me this as a gift: Otis Redding - The Definitive Studio Album Collection | Rhino not realizing I already have all of those albums individually, except for Pain In My Heart. I have the VMP version of The Soul Album, but otherwise I think the rest of them are just standard reissue versions I picked up along the way in record shops or the occasional Amazon sale.

My question is, does the mono box sound significantly better than other versions? Wondering if I should keep the box and sell off my other copies, or vice versa.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but here goes. My wife bought me this as a gift: Otis Redding - The Definitive Studio Album Collection | Rhino not realizing I already have all of those albums individually, except for Pain In My Heart. I have the VMP version of The Soul Album, but otherwise I think the rest of them are just standard reissue versions I picked up along the way in record shops or the occasional Amazon sale.

My question is, does the mono box sound significantly better than other versions? Wondering if I should keep the box and sell off my other copies, or vice versa.
I always like to check discogs to see if there are reviews that might help to answers questions like this. In this case, the reviews are unanimously positive, which would support selling off the individual records.

I have the mono box. It’s fantastic, but I have nothing to compare to. I did sell off my acoustic sounds stereo copy of Sings Soul because I hated the panning.

I know for sure the mono RSD of Otis Blue is the same as the record store day release. Pretty sure all the others are available separately as well and the box just compiled the latest and greatest mono pressings. I have the box too and it’s perfect. Couldn’t pass it up for ~$50 or so.

Y’all, took a chance on this boxset for $100 at my local today after hearing them play one of the records while I was browsing….

All I can say is wow! Turns out this is a Craft box set from 2018, AAA pressings of some old pre-Castro era Cuban jazz records that have historically been very hard to come by.

These sound stellar and the music has just been next level good. If you love Afro-Cuban music, Buena Vista Social Club, etc etc I highly recommend grabbing one of these.

Some words I found on the music

“The Complete Cuban Jam Sessions 5-LP and 5-CD box sets on November 9, 2018. Compiled here in their entirety and original format for the first time, the five volumes of Panart’s Cuban Jam Session albums were recorded over a span of almost a decade, from 1956–1964. Together these albums encapsulate a stylistic and historic panorama of Cuban music, from big band son montuno to Afro-Cuban rumba, mambo, cha-cha-chá and country acoustic guajira music. At the same time, they attest to Cuba’s long relationship with popular American music and jazz.

The music on these discs provides insights into the development of Latin jazz by legendary Cuban musicians before, during and apart from the Castro regime. As you'll hear, the improvised music has strong, rich rhythms but there's a quaint lyricism as well. It's not as explosively mambo-centric as American Cuban dance music of the period, emphasizing instead individual jazz-inspired soloists and the more subtle and nuanced countryside folk forms popular in Cuba.”

View attachment 190688
Academy rules! Gotta check this one out.

Finally getting a chance to spin the White Stripes UHQR. I grabbed it as it went on sale at the in groove during Black Friday for 15% off, no tax and free shipping. Man this thing slays. Dead quiet pressing and the mastering is great

It's amazing how much more they got out of a garage rock record.

Did a little shopping for the Aja UHQR and found it’s only available as a two disc 45. Is that correct? Deacon Blues as a single side? No thanks.
All the UHQRs for steely Dan are 45s. As are the Atlantic 75 series. Supposedly the only way Chad could get the rights was to cut at 45. The 33s were done separately by wide release by the label

All the UHQRs for steely Dan are 45s. As are the Atlantic 75 series. Supposedly the only way Chad could get the rights was to cut at 45. The 33s were done separately by wide release by the label

I’m guessing there is more of a margin on 45s too for these audiophile labels because they seem to have completely abandoned 33s the last 2 or 3 years, even outside the fancy 1 steps and UHQRs.

If you’re selling a couple of bits of plastic in a box for onefiddy and you’re not making a dollar or two-well it’s time to pack it in.
I’m guessing there is more of a margin on 45s too for these audiophile labels because they seem to have completely abandoned 33s the last 2 or 3 years, even outside the fancy 1 steps and UHQRs.

Back