Definitive Audiophile pressings

Yeah, I looked at it the other way and decided that since I have the 2020 KPG Moondance and the RSD Alternative Moondance with most of these extra tracks, I don't need this 3Lp version. We'll see if I hold to that. ;)
I really gotta listen side by side but on my first impressions the new one really wowed me compared to the earlier KG cut. I don't have the AAA KG though--I have the cut he did from digital at CA.

It's a shame the original tape is damaged and can't be used for cutting anymore apparently. But the Stephen Wilson mix is pretty awesome and an interesting way to reissue an album if the original multitracks are still in good shape.

I really gotta listen side by side but on my first impressions the new one really wowed me compared to the earlier KG cut. I don't have the AAA KG though--I have the cut he did from digital at CA.

It's a shame the original tape is damaged and can't be used for cutting anymore apparently. But the Stephen Wilson mix is pretty awesome and an interesting way to reissue an album if the original multitracks are still in good shape.
I do allow for the possibility, or maybe likelihood, that this Steve Wilson mix will be superior.

LOL - Neil Young! There's the antithesis - an artist who for the past decade has put more effort into the sound than the music!

Do you really expect an active artist to attend the cutting session for every subsequent lacquer, or even listen to every test pressing?

And - all my Radiohead were pressed at either Optimal, Record Industry or the former EMI UK plant.
Ok, let’s go with Wilco. They seemingly have a similar commitment to vinyl quality as Neil does.

there are very few current bands where i know their new releases are gonna sound great on vinyl. Wilco is one of them. Radiohead is not haha.
There are TONS. Pretty much all the major metal bands do fabulous vinyl. Dream Theater, everything on Relapse, Neurot, Temporary Residence, Southern Lords, etc. etc., Monster Magnet, Mastodon, Ghost, so many others.
Anything on Rune Gramophon, Gondwana, Edition, etc. Fantastic sound.

There are TONS. Pretty much all the major metal bands do fabulous vinyl. Dream Theater, everything on Relapse, Neurot, Temporary Residence, Southern Lords, etc. etc., Monster Magnet, Mastodon, Ghost, so many others.
Anything on Rune Gramophon, Gondwana, Edition, etc. Fantastic sound.
I'm not a metal fan sadly! But good to know they sound great.

Jack White interestingly is all about vinyl, owns a record plant, but presses all his vinyl at the worst damn place he can at United.
My copy of Muriel Grossmann's new album, Devotion, turned up the other day and im waiting for the weekend to give it my full attention.

Pretty worried that the quality will be off with it being her first release with Third Man. I dont really have enough records from them to make a judgement but what I hear on here is not great. Her other albums were all pressed elsewhere and are typically really great.

My copy of Muriel Grossmann's new album, Devotion, turned up the other day and im waiting for the weekend to give it my full attention.

Pretty worried that the quality will be off with it being her first release with Third Man. I dont really have enough records from them to make a judgement but what I hear on here is not great. Her other albums were all pressed elsewhere and are typically really great.
I am in the same boat, my copy is in shipment and am worried the quality difference will be noticeable after her 3 excellent releases with rrgems. However, the tip-on jacket is a good sign, maybe they paid for better QA and poly sleeves too...haven't heard anything yet. Please post your thoughts when you spin it! 🎷:)

I am in the same boat, my copy is in shipment and am worried the quality difference will be noticeable after her 3 excellent releases with rrgems. However, the tip-on jacket is a good sign, maybe they paid for better QA and poly sleeves too...haven't heard anything yet. Please post your thoughts when you spin it! 🎷:)
I did open it up and seem to remember paper sleeves. Need to check though

As far as Third Man goes as a pressing plant - I can say I'm not really a fan of the machines they use - at least the NewBilt presses.

These are what all the "start up" pressing plants are using - and they seem to have more issues with pressing than established older machines do.

That's not to say older pressing machinery is all good, though. United got even worse when they got all of Rainbo's presses.

But I can't think of one Third Mad Pressing release that sounded "amazing".

Last edited:
As far as Third Man goes as a pressing plant - I can say I'm not really a fan of the machines they use - at least the NewBilt presses.

These are what all the "start up" pressing plants are using - and they seem to have more issues with pressing than established older machines do.

That's not to say older pressing machinery is all good, though. United got even worse when they got all of Rainbo's presses.
Everything I own that was pressed by TMR has some sort of issue. Most have consistent surface noise throughtout. None have been whisper quiet like you'd get from RTI, QRP, or Pallas pressings.

Pretty consistent warpage on most records from TMR as well. I received warped 7 inch records from them with poorly cut run-in grooves.

Then there is the Verve By Request series which are just riddled with issues.

Back