Definitive Audiophile pressings

Maybe a unpopular opinion. I am glad we have lots of options in the market place. $150 UHQR's are not certainly not for everyone and there is a debate to be had around the value vs cost for sure. I would still rather these existed than not.

Also, we shit on Mofi and Analogue Productions for not dipping into some more modern titles. Now we got one!

Maybe a unpopular opinion. I am glad we have lots of options in the market place. $150 UHQR's are not certainly not for everyone and there is a debate to be had around the value vs cost for sure. I would still rather these existed than not.

Also, we shit on Mofi and Analogue Productions for not dipping into some more modern titles. Now we got one!

I get that but I really wish that MoFi and fuck Chad did more audiophile 33s like they did in the past. Maybe even as part of a release like this a 45 UHQR and a fuck Chad 33. Or for MoFi a OneStep and an MFSL 33.

Yea I’m with @Joe Mac . If some of these were cheaper and at 33 I’d pick some up. After tax and shipping these are like 175+ for one album. It’s wild. I can’t imagine these are flying off the shelves.

Also, ERC, MoFi and AP just seem to be repeating each others titles. ERC did white stripes right? ERC just announced CSN which MoFi did as a one step. The curation still leaves a lot to be desired. I thought the Marley UHQRs were a nice difference from most of these other releases.

It’s a big reason why I’m bummed Speakers Corner is essentially done…they had my favorite curation out of all of these reissue companies

Yea I’m with @Joe Mac . If some of these were cheaper and at 33 I’d pick some up. After tax and shipping these are like 175+ for one album. It’s wild. I can’t imagine these are flying off the shelves.

Also, ERC, MoFi and AP just seem to be repeating each others titles. ERC did white stripes right? ERC just announced CSN which MoFi did as a one step. The curation still leaves a lot to be desired. I thought the Marley UHQRs were a nice difference from most of these other releases.

It’s a big reason why I’m bummed Speakers Corner is essentially done…they had my favorite curation out of all of these reissue companies

I agree. And I think it’s nice to have choice. I like my one step blood on the tracks and my 45 Dylan’s. But they’re ones that feel worth it. There are many more I passed on because they weren’t worth 45 or one step/UHQR money. I’m not going to hit this choice because it’s a least new, but I don’t understand why they don’t licence for both a UHQR and a normal audiophile 33. For someone who feels that album worth it they can splurge and the rest of us who might just like it can get a really nice copy.

I agree. And I think it’s nice to have choice. I like my one step blood on the tracks and my 45 Dylan’s. But they’re ones that feel worth it. There are many more I passed on because they weren’t worth 45 or one step/UHQR money. I’m not going to hit this choice because it’s a least new, but I don’t understand why they don’t licence for both a UHQR and a normal audiophile 33. For someone who feels that album worth it they can splurge and the rest of us who might just like it can get a really nice copy.
Chad claimed to be doing regular AP cuts of the Steely Dan stuff I think (45 though from what I remember…) after the UHQRs sell out.but yea would much rather have 33

Here’s a hot take:
The problem with this take is it only takes into account the dynamic range and not the actual mastering. You can have all the dynamic range in the world but if it's not mastered well it won't matter. So while I get his point, his methodology is heavily flawed

The problem with this take is it only takes into account the dynamic range and not the actual mastering. You can have all the dynamic range in the world but if it's not mastered well it won't matter. So while I get his point, his methodology is heavily flawed
Right. And pound for pound, a high res 24 bit file of the same DR mastering will sound better than the CD.

can someone post a link to the DIscogs sub of the "Kevin Gray mono Kind Of Blue" - I can't seem to locate it amongst all the reissues - and the mono filter doesn't seem to work

Is there a Kevin Gray Mono? I thought the “famous” mono was Ryan Smith…

Back