Definitive Audiophile pressings

I know the remasters from a few years back were largely awful, but does anyone have experience with this 2022 repress of Tom Waits - Closing Time?

This seems to be the same master from Pete Lyman at Infrasonic from 2018 with lacquer cut by David Cheppa / Better Quality Sound who does a lot of Epitaph / Anti-‘s vinyl. Presuming cut from the 192 digital?

Anyway… anybody have one?

Given the credits it’s definitely the remaster, which was pretty much a complete remix, that I personally hate. If you’ve listened to it on streaming recently and don’t hate it then I’d think the new 2LP at 45 that’s coming out soon for the 50th is going to be the best bet. If you hate like me it’s really going to be the early 10s rhino press or OGs, the Japanese ones are particularly good.

Given the credits it’s definitely the remaster, which was pretty much a complete remix, that I personally hate. If you’ve listened to it on streaming recently and don’t hate it then I’d think the new 2LP at 45 that’s coming out soon for the 50th is going to be the best bet. If you hate like me it’s really going to be the early 10s rhino press or OGs, the Japanese ones are particularly good.
Was it a remix or did he rerecord the vocals?

Listening to this album today and I'm realizing I don't own a copy. There's a lot to sift through on Discogs... does anyone know of a decent pressing out there?

Listening to this album today and I'm realizing I don't own a copy. There's a lot to sift through on Discogs... does anyone know of a decent pressing out there?

This one has a good rep: Love - Forever Changes

I have this one. It's great:

Cut by Bernie and pressed at Optimal. I also have the MoFi but I think this one sounds just as good and is a 33.

There's a US version of that as well. Both are mastered by Chris Bellman, so not sure there's much of a difference
Supposedly the CB cut is AAA as well. Sounds great to me at least.

Could also get the $600 ERC??
Or the true mono fold down for a bargain $500:

Last edited:
There's a US version of that as well. Both are mastered by Chris Bellman, so not sure there's much of a difference
The EU Optimal pressing is perfect, and an absolute bargain. I also have the US which is pressed at RTI and comes with a heavy tip on jacket. An easy way to differentiate the pressings is by looking at the back cover, printed in USA = RTI, though, it’s somewhat hard to find/expensive. The BG mono cut is great too, getting harder to find as well. Mofi sounds great, but really prefer 33 nowadays.

Personally, my MOFI Katy Lied is a treasure. Back in the day - when it was first released - it was very sought after.

maybe a japanese OG might be better?
"Better", I'm not going to say its not worth the price, but honestly, Steely Dan's production value back in the day on OG's domestic or otherwise, a clean copy will definitely be the bigger bang for your buck in my opinion.

That said, I did pick up the UHRQ of Can't Buy A Thrill, it sounds fantastic, it being one of my favorites and their first album leaned into the decision, but I'm not sure I'm willing to go that route on the others purely based on the above opinion, my clean OGs sound amazing.

But, your $$, do as you see fit ;)

Back