Definitive Audiophile pressings

No to glue. If it is a crack in the top or bottom seam, simply run a similar colored marker along the damaged part. The ink will seal it up good, and no one - even you - will know the difference.

All the way seam split - tougher, but same general process. Fix the color along the split, place some strong transparent tape on the inside (fold it over and slide it up there to the top).
I have done this a couple times in the past. It worked great although I am curious over time what the ink may do ie: discolor, eat away at the paper, burst into flames...

That depends on how many of my album jackets spontaneously burst into flames DOESN'T IT SMART GUY
That bag of shit that was our last President used his tiny baby hands to sign official government documents with a sharpie. I am not saying I would trust his judgement on something like that but I would assume there was at least one or two adults that wouldn’t let him sign those docs with a sharpie if it were gonna damage or degrade those docs, but maybe that is me overestimating our archivist since it sounds like Biden had some classified docs sitting next to the Christmas lights in the garage for the past 7 years.

I fix minor splits fairly regularly with a drop of white Elmer's glue on a paperclip. Separate the crack as much as possible without further tearing it (that is, lift up the "top flap" of the tear), spread a very light layer of glue with the paperclip, fold back down the flap and rub back and forth in place. I then sometimes but the jacket opening down on an upside down glass or something to keep the seam streatched slightly while the glue dries. If you lay the jacket flat immediately, the separated "top flap" is likely to pop right back up.
Here are two samples I found quickly on my shelf:
IMG_7506 (Medium).jpg
Sonny Red - Out of the Blue (Tone Poet)

IMG_7508 (Medium).jpgIMG_7507 (Medium).jpg
Elvis Costello - My Aim is True (MoFi)

It sucks that we have to deal with seam splits with these premium records, but in my experience, the tip-on jackets are actually easier to repair becasue the split is just in the outer layer of paper. I figure, the outer paper is just glued on to a layer of cardboard anyway, so what's an extra tiny dab of glue going to hurt? And the method works OK for direct-to-board jackets too, just not as well.

I'll admit that I'm no glue expert, so there probably are safer glues to use out there. But Elmer's seems like a pretty mild but effective glue (the Dawn of the glue world). And I can generally rub off any excess glue that seeps outside the seam with my finger or a damp paper towel, so I'm really only leaving a very thin layer of glue between layers of paper. I've been doing it for years and haven't seen any negative effects yet.

I've tried the marker thing, but I must not have been doing it correctly. It was clearly evident upon close inspection. I laughed when Mike from the In Groove did that review of the ERC record (White Stripes?) and squealed when he said he could tell someone tried to touch up the sleeve with a marker. I thought, "Yep. Been there, done that."

Post man just dropped this off. Was tempted to grab the recent AP 45, but 1)with the exception of a handful of titles, I've been trading/selling my double 45s, I really do prefer the continuity of 33rpm 2) was priced lower than the AP, 45$ shipped for a sealed copy was a steal. Curious to read the reviews on the 45, the 33 sounds great!

IMG-6089 by c c, on Flickr

Post man just dropped this off. Was tempted to grab the recent AP 45, but 1)with the exception of a handful of titles, I've been trading/selling my double 45s, I really do prefer the continuity of 33rpm 2) was priced lower than the AP, 45$ shipped for a sealed copy was a steal. Curious to read the reviews on the 45, the 33 sounds great!

IMG-6089 by c c, on Flickr
Grab this off of Cogs? Been debating picking up the AP of this one. Highly recommend her Songs for Distingue Lovers AP Press, one of the funnest and best sounding records I own.

Grab this off of Cogs? Been debating picking up the AP of this one. Highly recommend her Songs for Distingue Lovers AP Press, one of the funnest and best sounding records I own.
Yup, couldn’t pay fast enough when I saw the price. Thanks for the rec, I’ll check it out!

MD emailed me back about the seem split on In a Silent Way. They offered me a refund for credit, exchange (with no timeline of when it would be in stock), or $4 in credit. I replied back asking for $12-$15 in credit (30-40% of the cost). Hoping they agree.
Don’t hold your breath if it’s Jasmine. My copy had some playback issues and they wouldn’t budge off of the $4. I told them I’m not doing any more business with them with that kind of CS. They couldn’t care less.

Don’t hold your breath if it’s Jasmine. My copy had some playback issues and they wouldn’t budge off of the $4. I told them I’m not doing any more business with them with that kind of CS. They couldn’t care less.
I'm over their CS too. Don't plan on spending anymore there until the Santana MoFis get repressed and then I'll search elsewhere. Done with Acoustic Sounds too. I just checked and they've now cancelled 8 of my last 9 orders.

I'm over their CS too. Don't plan on spending anymore there until the Santana MoFis get repressed and then I'll search elsewhere. Done with Acoustic Sounds too. I just checked and they've now cancelled 8 of my last 9 orders.
Unless I absolutely have to use AS or MD, I won’t anymore. Sticking with locals from now on.

Buy a box of Lineco Archival hinging tape. Placed inside the sleeve it will strengthen the structure and keep the slip from getting bigger. Works best on splits 2+ inches long, but will work on smaller seam splits as well. Box will last you forever. This stuff is holding together every old map (lots of folds) or poster you have seen in a museum or archive.

Amazon product ASIN B0027A5E34
DO NOT USE GLUE as it is not acid free. When I say glue, I mean anything you would have as kid in elementary school.

Haven't checked. That sounds like too much work if I'm being honest. MD offering $4 is just more insulting than anything else IMO.
I actually called MD when my copy of In A Silent way made noise and had a scratch. I spoke to someone who was very nice. They told me that they were out of replacements. They then said let them look into it and get back to me. The next day I was mailed a replacement vinyl, no jacket. That was fine because my jacket was fine. Maybe it’d be helpful to call and speak to a person….

I have done this a couple times in the past. It worked great although I am curious over time what the ink may do ie: discolor, eat away at the paper, burst into flames...
The right ink does nothing at all.

Here's a record I received yesterday with a top seam split, and the indian ink permanent markers I have been using for years. See any repair?

20230113_004621.jpg

That bag of shit that was our last President used his tiny baby hands to sign official government documents with a sharpie. I am not saying I would trust his judgement on something like that but I would assume there was at least one or two adults that wouldn’t let him sign those docs with a sharpie if it were gonna damage or degrade those docs, but maybe that is me overestimating our archivist since it sounds like Biden had some classified docs sitting next to the Christmas lights in the garage for the past 7 years.
Plot twist...the Sharpie was actually disappearing ink.

Back