Definitive Audiophile pressings

Cross post from Jazz thread

....and they've gone into ERC territory.

I thought I would jump on that and then saw the price 377 Euros

edit - you get some white gloves though and instructions on 'how to caress'

Cross post from Jazz thread

....and they've gone into ERC territory.

I thought I would jump on that and then saw the price 377 Euros

edit - you get some white gloves though and instructions on 'how to caress'
What a stupid idea. Cutting individual acetates, which are inherently fragile, and subject to degradation - and essentially can't be wet cleaned. Acetates degrade much more quickly from repeated plays. Of course, they will sell out.

They don't even bother to name who does the mastering. Why bother? At that price, only the status of owning one really matters.

yea that is crazy. but it also sounds like lots of stuff is heavily allocated lately due to pressing plant delays. i'd truly be shocked if this is limited to this small an amount.
My first thought is - WTF is he doing ordering 500?? Surely he knows that distributors will allocate based on how many orders they have and how much stock they receive. He is simply trying to hoard supply, knowing that if he succeeds he can corner the market to some degree.

The distributor rightly doesn't give a shit that he ordered 500. If they have 50,000 copies on hand and 5,000 orders, everyone gets 10.

My first thought is - WTF is he doing ordering 500?? Surely he knows that distributors will allocate based on how many orders they have and how much stock they receive. He is simply trying to hoard supply, knowing that if he succeeds he can corner the market to some degree.

The distributor rightly doesn't give a shit that he ordered 500. If they have 50,000 copies on hand and 5,000 orders, everyone gets 10.
I think, as he says in the video, that he thought this was going to be an in-stock, standard release. Obviously he can sell a ton of these and from the sounds of it, he had a lot of pre-orders. Probably not 500, but for someone who ships around the world and has a decent online following, I bet he knows he can sell a lot. I would think he didn't think he would receive 500, but would receive as many as he could.

he probably figured these would be pressed in huge numbers, but yea I do agree. Seems a bit like he's trying to hoard them. 500 is a ton of copies for a store with a single location.

he probably figured these would be pressed in huge numbers, but yea I do agree. Seems a bit like he's trying to hoard them. 500 is a ton of copies for a store with a single location.
I remember a video of him talking about how he orders for RSD and how he got stuck with like 100 units of a record that he thought was going to widely allocated/very popular and it wound up being plentiful and he still has like 90 of them in stock. I want to say it was the Flaming Lips Soft Bulletin Companion but not positive.

This is hilarious, so you basically can't play the thing but you get a Polariod picture of the cover, that will fade with time as well, for only 377 Euro's. People are so stupid .
What a stupid idea. Cutting individual acetates, which are inherently fragile, and subject to degradation - and essentially can't be wet cleaned. Acetates degrade much more quickly from repeated plays. Of course, they will sell out.

They don't even bother to name who does the mastering. Why bother? At that price, only the status of owning one really matters.

I remember a video of him talking about how he orders for RSD and how he got stuck with like 100 units of a record that he thought was going to widely allocated/very popular and it wound up being plentiful and he still has like 90 of them in stock. I want to say it was the Flaming Lips Soft Bulletin Companion but not positive.
good hah he deserves it. i typically like his shop but i hate when people hoard releases like that.

For the record, just spinning the Abbey Road The Velvet Underground – White Light / White Heat, dead quiet, sounds great considering what this probably sounded like originally.

I sometimes wonder if vinyl expectations go way past what something is inherently going to sound like for various reasons. I think an "audiophile" pressing of this would be slightly better and way more expensive.

...............just my 2 cents ;)

For the record, just spinning the Abbey Road The Velvet Underground – White Light / White Heat, dead quiet, sounds great considering what this probably sounded like originally.

I sometimes wonder if vinyl expectation go way past what something is inherently going to sound like for various reasons. I think an "audiophile" pressing of this would be slightly better and way more expensive.

...............just my 2 cents ;)
I got VU and Nico + the third album. Haven't had a chance to listen yet though...list price on these was $35 so I can see if people were underwhelmed and mad that it was a 1LP for $35 that didn't sound up to par. Once you get into that price point, records should sound pretty good IMO, although that's rapidly changing with how expensive records are getting.

I got VU and Nico + the third album. Haven't had a chance to listen yet though...list price on these was $35 so I can see if people were underwhelmed and mad that it was a 1LP for $35 that didn't sound up to par. Once you get into that price point, records should sound pretty good IMO, although that's rapidly changing with how expensive records are getting.

Perhaps but also thinking that VU albums are ever going to be able to sound truly audiophile is a kind of illogical madness to begin with. They were a lo-fi garage band that sold fuck all copies initially and were always more influential than successful. Their recordings were never intended to be perfect and that’s an enormous part of the charm. They can only put on the wax what was on the tapes.

Last edited:
Perhaps but also thinking that VU albums are ever going to be able to sound truly audiophile is a kind of illogical madness to begin with. They were a lo-fi garage band that sold fuck all copies initially and were always more influential than successful. Their recording were never intended to be perfect and that’s an enormous part of the charm. They can only put on the wax what was on the tapes.
True. I started listening to VU + Nico last night. It’s…fine. Mine is flat and quiet. Not much separation or dynamic range. Which may very well be due to the recording. I’d have to do an A/B of this one but I recall the rip of the MoFi gold CD sounding better than this one.

True. I started listening to VU + Nico last night. It’s…fine. Mine is flat and quiet. Not much separation or dynamic range. Which may very well be due to the recording. I’d have to do an A/B of this one but I recall the rip of the MoFi gold CD sounding better than this one.

Honestly so long as it’s quiet and flat and representative of the music I’d be happy. My worry with an overly MoFi presentation with such a band is that in trying to make it sound overly perfect you lose something of the magic of it. Similar to how they have a habit of neutering certain music that trends more punk.

I’m a fan of making beautiful recordings sound even more beautiful. I also want scrappy recordings to retain all their charm and be just be well pressed.

My VU & Nico half speed master sounds great. Way better than the other stereo pressing I had. Hard to compare to a mono bc the mix is totally different of course. I’m probably gonna go in for their third s/t now. Definitely recommend
Maybe I just like the MoFi CD better because it's mono...I don't have complaints about the pressing itself on the VU & Nico abbey road--it's flat and dead quiet. I gotta listen to it some more today--only got to listen to the first few songs on side A last night.

edit: i definitely don't think it's anywhere near as bad as how that 45RPM reviewer guy made them out to be.

Last edited:
Back