Definitive Audiophile pressings

just curious, why don't you like your records shipped outside the jacket? Seam splits drive me crazy, so I always prefer this shipping method myself....
I know. Once I had a record arrive with a big crack in it while it was outside. Not sure what caused it and my rational mind says that it wouldn’t have made a difference but I keep think that that little extra protection may have helped.

I know. Once I had a record arrive with a big crack in it while it was outside. Not sure what caused it and my rational mind says that it wouldn’t have made a difference but I keep think that that little extra protection may have helped.
If you want extra protection you can include a cardboard insert. Shipping inside the jacket or God forbid inner sleeve always gives a chance of seam splits. A tragedy, especially for a 60 yo record without them!

Just want to share some love for We Release Jazz (We Release Jazz). Probably a lot of people have the Ryo Fukui releases they've done but the other stuff is really great too. A real joy to listen to these and they're pretty fairly priced over here.

Currently really enjoying their Boillat Therace Quintet releases and I always keep going back to that Stuff Combe 5 album as well.

Do you have the first press with just Q Jones as producer, that’s the one , Amazing!!
Update: thriller sounds great. This was a nostalgia buy for me and it takes me back to the days when records were still a thing but music videos were taking over. It’s graded at a vg+ but I’d give it an ex.

I am looking to solidify some classic titles in my collection and looking at two groups in particular: Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin.

As far as PF, i’m looking for solid pressings of WYWH, Meddle, and Animals. I have DSOTM and The Wall all covered. I do have the 2016 Animals but would like an earlier pressing as well.

For Zeppelin, I don’t have anything so any recommendations are appreciated. I know the recent remasters were digital, but can anyone comment on the quality? Think they’re worth it versus finding earlier pressings in playable condition?

I am looking to solidify some classic titles in my collection and looking at two groups in particular: Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin.

As far as PF, i’m looking for solid pressings of WYWH, Meddle, and Animals. I have DSOTM and The Wall all covered. I do have the 2016 Animals but would like an earlier pressing as well.

For Zeppelin, I don’t have anything so any recommendations are appreciated. I know the recent remasters were digital, but can anyone comment on the quality? Think they’re worth it versus finding earlier pressings in playable condition?
I really like the 2016 Pink Floyds, across the board. With WYWH I got the UK pressing of because it's a BG cut. No idea if that made a huge difference from a US one or not.

Pink Floyd - I have no issues with the 2016 pressings and I have all the ones you mentioned. Can you find better, yes, but at a cost. I have OGs as well and while they sound "better", they take nothing away from the 2016s.

Led Zeppelin - I, II & III are very nice when it comes to the remasters, IV, not so much, not sure why. If you can find OG or early pressings you'll be happy with them, if nothing else, take a look at Record City for some Japanese pressings, also very good. The problem I've noticed with Zep is that their albums were purchased and listened to, a lot, and a lot, were also not taken care of very well. Locally I've never found anything I would say was worth buying, you may have better luck.

I’ve found the zeppelin remasters to be a big meh. Sounds like Jimmy Page buried Plants vocals out of spite lol

Pink Floyd - I have no issues with the 2016 pressings and I have all the ones you mentioned. Can you find better, yes, but at a cost. I have OGs as well and while they sound "better", they take nothing away from the 2016s.

Led Zeppelin - I, II & III are very nice when it comes to the remasters, IV, not so much, not sure why. If you can find OG or early pressings you'll be happy with them, if nothing else, take a look at Record City for some Japanese pressings, also very good. The problem I've noticed with Zep is that their albums were purchased and listened to, a lot, and a lot, were also not taken care of very well. Locally I've never found anything I would say was worth buying, you may have better luck.
Yeah the biggest problem I’ve had over the years with early pressings from both of these bands is usage. PF especially needs pretty quiet vinyl, so I think I’ll go the 2016 route and if I ever come across clean early copies maybe spring on those. LZ too.

Most I’ve come across are beat to hell, but can’t blame previous owners! I’ve been thinking about the Record City route so I think I’m going to look into trying some Japanese pressings. Thanks!

Some discounted prices from this seller, who I know nothing about so due diligence. Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV - Vinyl LP

this is from their post on Reddit: “I appreciate the business! Fresh Produce Records is a small independent shop in Macon, Georgia that I run and I'm trying my best to bring competitive retail prices back to independent music stores! Your support helps us keep doing what we love -AND- expanding our ability to buy huge stacks of music at a good price when it's available so THANK YOU!”

So of course I have had this is my wantlist for months and finally pulled the trigger last night. Then I wake up today and what do I see when browsing Reddit? This...

Amazon product ASIN B0979SMVXG
I’ve got the Boxset for around this price a few years ago and it sounds phenomenal. That being said, I don’t think that it’s cheap to come by currently. I don’t know if a remaster was needed necessarily but hopefully it sounds good for that price.

Edit: I guess it’s a half-speed master (as opposed to a remaster).

Last edited:
I’ve got the Boxset for around this price a few years ago and it sounds phenomenal. That being said, I don’t think that it’s cheap to come by currently. I don’t know if a remaster was needed necessarily but hopefully it sounds good for that price.

So of course I have had this is my wantlist for months and finally pulled the trigger last night. Then I wake up today and what do I see when browsing Reddit? This...

Amazon product ASIN B0979SMVXG

I don't think it's needed. The Number song remix is classic, but you could pick up on a 12. It feels strange to add a new track to this 30 years later. I'm not sure that a half speed master would be an improvement on this album.

I have this comp, which I believe was replicated in the box & has pretty much all the 12" mixes.

I bought this for £40 back in 2017 when it was first released (crazy to think how much the RRP would have been if it was released today!). As @TenderLovingKiller® said, it's a fantastic set that sounds great. I did end up selling my copy though when culling a few years back (no reason other than it wasn't getting played much and someone offered more than what I paid).

Yeah the biggest problem I’ve had over the years with early pressings from both of these bands is usage. PF especially needs pretty quiet vinyl, so I think I’ll go the 2016 route and if I ever come across clean early copies maybe spring on those. LZ too.

Most I’ve come across are beat to hell, but can’t blame previous owners! I’ve been thinking about the Record City route so I think I’m going to look into trying some Japanese pressings. Thanks!
if you go japanese pressings, just make sure to do some research on the specific pressings. as with the Beatles and others, some japanese pressings are better regarded than others. the Zepp II I got from Record City sounds solid, but don't have another pressing to compare to. I went the japanese route because I heard the remasters were meh and like you said, hard to find clean early copies that are used.

For PF, I'd go 2016s or search out some of the japanese pressings. The Wall pressing I got sounds awesome. I may dip back in for WYWH.

Back