Definitive Audiophile pressings

I feel like this is a mistake, but I ordered from Record City on the 24th and their out for delivery right now. The tracking info shows it in Japan on the 26th, in Indy early on the 27th, in Chicago later that day and out for delivery today.
The fedex tracking defaults to local scan times. If you change it to destination times it will make more sense.

The fedex tracking defaults to local scan times. If you change it to destination times it will make more sense.

Understood. I was just talking about how quick the whole thing was. I ordered on Tuesday and less than 72 hours later I had four records shipped from Japan on my front porch. I'm very impressed.

Understood. I was just talking about how quick the whole thing was. I ordered on Tuesday and less than 72 hours later I had four records shipped from Japan on my front porch. I'm very impressed.
Got it. My first order from them back in June took 5 days from Tokyo to Anchorage, to Memphis, to me. My last three have skipped Anchorage. I think they changed their shipping from 5-day to 3-day. Maybe because of our order onslaught!

I'm not even drunk, you bastards!

Less than £100 the lot. I needed to clear up space in my basket to see how I could order some Stevie. (We don't often talk classical, but if anyone is looking to get some classical records, I would say record city is the place to go).

Oivin Fjeldstad/London Symphony Orchestra - Grieg/Peer Gynt (LONDON) (LC24) (418314)
Rudolf Serkin(Piano)/Alexander Schneider,marlboro Festival Orchestra - Mozart/Piano Concerto No.20 In D Minor ,piano Concerto No.11 In F Major (COLUMBIA) (OS140) (467702)
Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson - Poncho & Lefty (EPIC) (FE37958) (632941)
Eugene ORMANDY/Philadelphia ORCHESTRA - Rimsky-korsakov:scheherazade, Op35 (CBS SONY) (SOCT23) (730516)
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart Friedrich - Concerto For Piano And Orchestra No.20 (DEUTSCHE GRAMMOPHON) (MG2506) (730718)
Beatles - Abbey Road (APPLE) (EAS80560) (762818)
Willie Nelson - Stardust (CBS SONY) (25AP996) (831414)
Shelly Manne - 234 (IMPULSE) (YP8551AI) (836759)
Count Basie - Count Basie And The Kansas City 7 (IMPULSE) (YP8555AI) (841254)
Beatles - Abbey Road (APPLE) (AP8815) (876787)

I ended up getting two of the Beatles so that I can compare the versions, one was VG+ and only $11,
That Shelly Manne album is so great

I can see being disappointed with the reputation of the dealer and trouble gone through to order overseas, but used and new vinyl will always be a imperfect but loved medium and sometimes I think that is forgotten or perhaps naive in the return it to the dealer/Amz for a perfect pressing era we are apparently in now.
Exactly. Despite being graded EX or NM, the FACT is in almost every case the vinyl needs to be cleaned. Those Japanese records are going to be in outstanding shape generally, but lets be real here - after 40 or 50 years, it needs to be cleaned.

BTW, there are a few Japanese dealers I favor, but RecordCityJP is not one of them. The gold standard for Japanese vinyl is Ella Records.

Exactly. Despite being graded EX or NM, the FACT is in almost every case the vinyl needs to be cleaned. Those Japanese records are going to be in outstanding shape generally, but lets be real here - after 40 or 50 years, it needs to be cleaned.

BTW, there are a few Japanese dealers I favor, but RecordCityJP is not one of them. The gold standard for Japanese vinyl is Ella Records.
I’ve bought from Ella Records several times and always satisfied.

Uh-oh, better than RecordCityJP? I am headed there right now.

EDIT: Their prices on discogs are in line with a gold standard. I guess that's the cost of grade certainty.

Last edited:
Uh-oh, better than Record CityJP? I am headed there right now.

EDIT: Their prices on discogs are in line with a gold standard. I guess that's the cost of grade certainty.
Yea. They have discogs and eBay accounts. Shipping is pricey— $18 for the first LP and then $5 additional. They have good stuff though—I’ve ordered from them before

Cross post from the BN thread but if anybody really wanted some MMJ 33s, the following just restocked at jacked up prices:

33s of Night in Tunisia, Inner Urge, Solid and Adam’s Apple

I’m guessing this is their last ditch effort before these get slated for classics and tone poet schedules

On another note: Listening to McCoy Tyner - Expansions TP, what a lovely listen. They knocked the mastering out of the park on this one.

I’m guessing this is their last ditch effort before these get slated for classics and tone poet schedules
I’d be surprised if they get TP releases since they are too popular titles. I feel like TP is more for lesser known BN albums. Supposedly MMJ saved some of their license to press regular 33s (apparently to flip themselves) before the licenses ran out.

maybe they get a classics release though.

So I have a few thoughts on my record city purchase. I’ll have more later but I’ve had a chance to clean all four records and man did they need it. They were all filthy. That being said the records themselves all looked great visually. I’ve had a chance to have a quick listen to their satanic majesties and led lepplin II. Majesties is dead quiet but Led Zeppelin is pretty crackly. Not horrible, but noticeable. Stones was graded an EX, I’d agree with that. Zeppelin was a VG+. Visually, I’d agree, with the crackling I think that it should be a VG. One more thing. Three of the four albums had the record outside the jacket which I don’t like for shipping. That being said, the package itself was pretty good.

So I have a few thoughts on my record city purchase. I’ll have more later but I’ve had a chance to clean all four records and man did they need it. They were all filthy. That being said the records themselves all looked great visually. I’ve had a chance to have a quick listen to their satanic majesties and led lepplin II. Majesties is dead quiet but Led Zeppelin is pretty crackly. Not horrible, but noticeable. Stones was graded an EX, I’d agree with that. Zeppelin was a VG+. Visually, I’d agree, with the crackling I think that it should be a VG. One more thing. Three of the four albums had the record outside the jacket which I don’t like for shipping. That being said, the package itself was pretty good.
just curious, why don't you like your records shipped outside the jacket? Seam splits drive me crazy, so I always prefer this shipping method myself....

Back