Definitive Audiophile pressings

They are all pretty unsubstantiated but I’m not about to drop anywhere near what people are asking for the Classic Records pressings so it’s fun to follow the rumors. I’d be kinda surprised if Zeppelin allows it but Chad does have the metalwork and doesn’t need to go to the tapes again most likely

Yeah, Chad hinted they were gonna have some big classic rock titles drop in the next five years, and they have access to the LZ and Who CR plates so safe to assume we'll probably get a UHQR or a standard 33/45 reissue at least of them.

Someone heard from AP that they were gonna repress those CCR catalog too since they are working with Craft again.

I mean they just announced two Steely Dan titles and a possible series, pretty BIG deal!!

TBH it would be pretty funny if that was what Chad was referring to in that video
When I think of "Some of the biggest names in rock", Steely Dan might not be the first to come to my mind haha. I agree it would be hilarious though. My money is on a The Who reissue campaign...but maybe Zepp.

Has anyone done a shootout between the AP version and 20th Anniversary version of Come Away With Me? I've heard good things about the reissue and might pick it up as a player copy so I can give the AP a rest for a while.

Anyone compare the Norah Jones Come Away With Me 20th to the AP?

So I’d trust the links and video more than me but just in case. Low mid level system A/B/C

My super short version is the AP and 20th are surprisingly different presses for a pretty straightforward album. The AP experience is a more intense affair - stronger bass and emphasis on the vocal with pointed sound. The 20th gives a lot more room to the backing instruments which I find to be a very cool experience. You don’t get that in many other sources - more guitar for sure and I think it helps a lot of the tracks on Side B. They mention it on a Discogs post and I’d agree the acoustic guitar accompaniment is pronounced and really cool. My 20th has some very odd electrical feedback I hope disappears on a thorough clean or I will aim for a replacement (edit: it didn’t but given its not on Side B and no one else reported it, I think it’s a single copy issue). I am assuming this is not pressing wide or I think we’d hear about it. Both copies are flat and quiet beyond that (a bit of noise on my AP but again I think it’s a me issue as it’s overdue for a clean).

I’d give the edge, minorly, to the AP. I appreciate the stronger floor and emphasis choices. I don’t give the AP a 3x cost advantage though. I’d happily spend $25 on the 20th anniversary over $75 on the AP. For severe Norah addicts both are worth owning for their different takes. 20th is more relaxed and free whereas AP is more intense. Coffee shop vs Jazz Club vibes.

Just for posterity sake I put on the Blue Note too (standard press before the 20th anniversary) - decent pressing, but it feels a bit muddier after listening to the other two and should only be in consideration as a cheaper used option if it comes up or if you really dislike the 20th treatment of the overall feel. It’s like the little brother of the AP in terms of style but lacks the oomph. Mine didn't have major sibilance issues but others have reported that enough to consider. My uneducated ear ratings vs. other general pressings would be

AP: 4.5/5
20th: 4.25/5
Blue Note: 3/5

Last edited:
Has anyone done a shootout between the AP version and 20th Anniversary version of Come Away With Me? I've heard good things about the reissue and might pick it up as a player copy so I can give the AP a rest for a while.
Ok I swear I didn’t see this when writing. I’d check out @JohnnyCashFan ’s link and video from before and my thoughts are above

Yeah, Chad hinted they were gonna have some big classic rock titles drop in the next five years, and they have access to the LZ and Who CR plates so safe to assume we'll probably get a UHQR or a standard 33/45 reissue at least of them.

Someone heard from AP that they were gonna repress those CCR catalog too since they are working with Craft again.
@Crabbers CCR….. I wonder if the AP is “that” much better than the half speed master?

First Acoustic Sounds Order FedEx "brokerage" charge has arrived! Wheeeeeeeeeeeee

Strangely though, and I'm not sure why, but it appears that I'm not getting hit with any DHL charges for my Japanese Ella Records orders. Apparently DHL charges upfront before delivery, unlike FedEx who sneak in the back door when you aren't looking and steal your silverware. Then leave a massive bill on your counter for "silverware transportation remittance".

Last edited:
The two I have that use AP plates (Bayou Country and Cosmo's Factory) are most definitely superior to the half-speed masters. The AP is an audiophile reissue, I don't really think the HSMs sound as good as the originals or the APs.
Not what I wanted to hear since I just bought the HSMs. Really didn’t want to double dip 😂

Not what I wanted to hear since I just bought the HSMs. Really didn’t want to double dip 😂
this has been mentioned before, but there's a cheapie CCR Cosmo's Factory that was pressed using the AP plates. Nobody really knows how it happened (Chad seemed very clueless about it surprisingly considering they used AP plates and pressed at QRP):

You'd want to confirm the runouts if you're buying used. Forget if it's an instance where the UPC matches another pressing. I got mine on Amazon last year for about $20 shipped and it was the AP plates. Sounds fantastic.

Ok I swear I didn’t see this when writing. I’d check out @JohnnyCashFan ’s link and video from before and my thoughts are above
I went ahead and ordered it, will report back once it arrives. Also added this to get free shipping:

First Acoustic Sounds Order FedEx "brokerage" charge has arrived! Wheeeeeeeeeeeee

Strangely though, and I'm not sure why, but it appears that I'm not getting hit with any DHL charges for my Japanese Ella Records orders. Apparently DHL charges upfront before delivery, unlike FedEx who sneak in the back door when you aren't looking and steal your silverware. Then leave a massive bill on your counter for "silverware transportation remittance".
I have ordered from both RecordCity and Ella. They both use FedEx door to door and have never been hit with any 'fees'. My Ella orders were through eBay auctions so single item, about $40USD. I have had a couple of RecordCity orders total more than $100USD and no charges either.

I have ordered from both RecordCity and Ella. They both use FedEx door to door and have never been hit with any 'fees'. My Ella orders were through eBay auctions so single item, about $40USD. I have had a couple of RecordCity orders total more than $100USD and no charges either.
That's odd because on Cogs Ella uses DHL. But yeah nothing. Just bitch ass FedEx from AS(S).

Although even after NINETY dollars in fees $70 of which were just FedEx garbage charges on 2 records, it's still just around what we would pay in Canada in store, and 3 of the 4 items aren't even available in store up here sooooo... here we are...

Back