Definitive Audiophile pressings

it should be coming very soon. I'm keeping the SC since I like but don't LOVE the album and prefer the 33.

MoFi apparently said late last night in a somewhat vague comment on social media that Eye in the Sky 45RPM and the I Robot one steps will both be out within a few months if there aren't any delays. Eye in the Sky should be coming first and seems like it should be soon. I'm now seeing June on places like The In Groove's site.
Ah I see. I did debate on keeping the 33 but I do feel it's missing something. Will probably hold off on I Robot, the early Mofi I have really does sound great. Just finished selling a few AP 45s to order the 33 instead, I'm getting lazier by the SECOND.

listening to the few CR copies I have, I think I much prefer the sound vs the Mofi sound, everything seems much more balanced

BG is truly a master of his craft

listening to the few CR copies I have, I think I much prefer the sound vs the Mofi sound, everything seems much more balanced

BG is truly a master of his craft
I like the classic records pressings I have too. From what I recall quality control was the biggest gripe against them when they were around. I’m looking quickly at discogs, I own 7 albums from the label. Most are Blue Notes (I have the Blue Train pressing and a bunch of others) plus Belafonte Sings The Blues which is an amazing album and pressing.

AP owns all their plates now so there are some rumors floating around that they may be using the plates soon for a repress campaign for The Who

Nice one! I’ve been debating getting that but you saved me the money! There’s also just one disc from a Dylan box there too.

AS sold a bunch of the classic records Dylan stuff a year or so ago and the listings were very confusing. A lot of people ordered some Dylan thinking it was the full set but it was only one disc haha There were lots of cancellations
That was me.

Yeah, just like Nightfly and several other great sounding digital recordings. I think people cringe at the idea of a digital recording sounding great, when there are plenty of amazing sounding recordings using digital. It's a misnomer to say digital recordings aren't great quality. What people SHOULD rightfully be mad at or cringe at is a hi-res transfer of an otherwise all-analog recording.
1000% - add Tracy Chapman S/T to the list of great sounding digital recordings as well

I posted in the Jazz forum that I just picked up this 45rpm press of Cannonball Adderley Quintet, “In Chicago” (aka “Cannonball and Coltrane”). It’s part of the “45rpm Audio Check” series, for which the “non-limiter, maximum cutting level is between +7 and +11db.” I have only the slightest, vaguest idea of what this means, but it sounds important (that’s sarcasm). In any event, I already have this 1972 copy of this album, which I really like, and I was curious what could have been done w/ the 45rpm “audiophile” version.

I thought (and think) the 1972 press sounds pretty good, but there’s simply no comparison. The Japanese 45rpm sounds amazing — lush, present, vibrant. I purchased this from Ella Records in Japan, and I’m going to have to check out some of the others in this Audio Check series. One of my locals has a few other albums in the series, but the condition of the vinyl is bad on all of them.

The downside of the Audio Check series is that they can’t include all the tracks, so this has 4 of 6 songs from the original. It only cost me $17, including shipping, so I’m fine with that given the quality.
9FDE4F1E-18F6-4576-BCA7-C8F221B752C9.jpeg

Last edited:
Which sleeves is everyone using? I currently use the resealable with flap but I think I may want something else that makes it easier to pull a record out.

@notjhill — it makes sense why High Fidelity has so many Classic Records pressings. Found out that Hobson used to own that store…
that's correct. Sorry, thought I had mentioned it. According to the current owner, he and his business partner took over once Hobson sold the company to Chad. Trying to convince myself to NOT pick up his Zep collection $.

that's correct. Sorry, thought I had mentioned it. According to the current owner, he and his business partner took over once Hobson sold the company to Chad. Trying to convince myself to NOT pick up his Zep collection $.
There are a lot of rumors seemingly about AP reissuing the zeppelin. No clue if it’s true or not. But they do have all the plates. I can’t imagine what their asking price is on the zeppelins at the shop. I’ve been seeing them sell for $400-500 each for the bigger titles sealed lately

There are a lot of rumors seemingly about AP reissuing the zeppelin. No clue if it’s true or not. But they do have all the plates. I can’t imagine what their asking price is on the zeppelins at the shop. I’ve been seeing them sell for $400-500 each for the bigger titles sealed lately
oh please be true...please be true @Oldwhitelincoln11

oh please be true...please be true @Oldwhitelincoln11
They are all pretty unsubstantiated but I’m not about to drop anywhere near what people are asking for the Classic Records pressings so it’s fun to follow the rumors. I’d be kinda surprised if Zeppelin allows it but Chad does have the metalwork and doesn’t need to go to the tapes again most likely

Back