Definitive Audiophile pressings

Enema of the State repress

Send out the Boom Boom alert. Pressed at RTI.

I actually have the first pressing black vinyl of this.https://www.discogs.com/release/8126993-Blink-182-Enema-Of-The-State It sounds fine and probably the best it’ll ever sound. Not an audiophile record though haha!

Last call on this one I suspect.

I just finished spinning "after the snow" from Modern English (Kevin G rm) -- and I just can't recommend those KG remasters from Drastic Plastic enough. great pressing and really satisfying.

(admittedly, I'm having a hellish workday, exhausted from trying to train to to the boston marathon, and had a narrow window between my relentless punishment of Zoom calls, so my degree of relief/joy may well be subjective....)

Also hey, when I was loaded the other night: 1st pressing of Leon Thomas, Blues and..., a couple early John Mayall pressings, John Morales 3LP of Teddy Pendegrass, Floyd, Piper Mono, and some other pre-order that don't even count because they didn't charge me yet!

also... loaded is a very relative term. ah youth, I miss thee so...
I really love the Drastic Plastic reissue of Mott The Hoople - All The Young Dudes (also a boom boom cut). I need to get more of their reissues.

Hello-
Wanted some advice if this Led Zeppelin I pressing was worth picking up for under $40.
Side 1: ST-A-681461-H E7 SP 0-1 (PR)

Side 2: SRC (logo) ST-A-681462-K 1-2

Condition VG+

Last edited:
a few tidbits for those who for some reason don't want to listen to an hour+ of kevin gray's dulcet tones:

*not a fan of half-speed mastering at all.

*first album at KG's new studio is recorded and off to the presses. Jazz saxophonist Kirsten Edkins (Featuring Gerald Clayton on piano). might be out in the summer just because of backups at pressing plants.

*KG's recording studio is gonna be for projects that are entirely done by him and his team from recording through cutting the lacquer

*I get a little bit of disdain (maybe i'm reading into it too much) from KG toward Steve Hoffman. Says Steve was hired as a consultant on a lot of projects and would then hire him to do a lot of the technical stuff. Says that he doesn't agree with some of the EQing Steve did on the Rumours pressing they worked on together and would have done it differently if he was in charge. he thinks the OG pressing is hard to beat.

*talks about the VMP john prine vs the one he cut a little bit. isn't really sure why VMP did it --KG's is from the original master tapes. also says they can't seem to figure out who they want to use or why for cuts haha.

*cuts about 300 albums a year now

*says he would love to get this hands on the Stones + Beatles catalogues. also a HUGE fan of Stax. thinks the original beatles CDs sound better than most modern remasters. and the blue box and red box are his go-tos for beatles vinyl. he bought them at costco. doesn't have the mono box. he had the MoFi box and didn't like it. he also says that not all of the original 2 track tapes exist anymore and he has heard that some have disappeared over the years (Sgt. Pepper being one of them).

overall a pretty interesting listen!

Hello-
Wanted some advice if this Led Zeppelin I pressing was worth picking up for under $40.
Side 1: ST-A-681461-H E7 SP 0-1 (PR)

Side 2: SRC (logo) ST-A-681462-K 1-2

Condition VG+
not sure how that specific pressing sounds but there's a VG+/VG+ of it on discogs for $30 with make an offer:

yep, I saw that. It has a warp, which I find hard to sale as VG+ but I have another seller lined up for $37 (no warp).
if its a minor warp that DNAP, i would probably call it VG+ still if it's playgraded and sounds good.

i personally think $40 shipped seems steep...but i know everything has skyrocketed in price lately. for $40 you may be able to get a japanese pressing or something better quality.

a few tidbits for those who for some reason don't want to listen to an hour+ of kevin gray's dulcet tones:

*first album at KG's new studio is recorded and off to the presses. Jazz saxophonist Kirsten Edkins (Featuring Gerald Clayton on piano). might be out in the summer just because of backups at pressing plants.

*KG's recording studio is gonna be for projects that are entirely done by him and his team from recording through cutting the lacquer

*I get a little bit of disdain (maybe i'm reading into it too much) from KG toward Steve Hoffman. Says Steve was hired as a consultant on a lot of projects and would then hire him to do a lot of the technical stuff. Says that he doesn't agree with some of the EQing Steve did on the Rumours pressing they worked on together and would have done it differently if he was in charge. he thinks the OG pressing is hard to beat.

*talks about the VMP john prine vs the one he cut a little bit. isn't really sure why VMP did it --KG's is from the original master tapes. also says they can't seem to figure out who they want to use or why for cuts haha.

*says he would love to get this hands on the Stones + Beatles catalogues. also a HUGE fan of Stax. thinks the original beatles CDs sound better than most modern remasters. and the blue box and red box are his go-tos for beatles vinyl. he bought them at costco. doesn't have the mono box. he had the MoFi box and didn't like it. he also says that not all of the original 2 track tapes exist anymore and he has heard that some have disappeared over the years (Sgt. Pepper being one of them).

300 albums a year. @MikeH you are never going to keep up with him.

Interesting comment on Rumours. I don't have an OG, but the 45 SH/KG cut was like listening to the album for the first time to me. Fantastic pressing, I really like it.

300 albums a year. @MikeH you are never going to keep up with him.

Interesting comment on Rumours. I don't have an OG, but the 45 SH/KG cut was like listening to the album for the first time to me. Fantastic pressing, I really like it.
my wife is gonna KILL me when she hears how many albums he is gonna be putting out...time to take out a loan!

also agreed on rumours. i LOVE the 45. KG does seem to say that he is probably being nitpicky. doesn't hate it at all and says he gets compliments on it all the time, just disagreed with Hoffman's EQ choices and he would have done some things differently.

He sounds like one of us.

*Says that he doesn't agree with some of the EQing Steve did on the Rumours pressing they worked on together and would have done it differently if he was in charge. he thinks the OG pressing is hard to beat.

*thinks the original beatles CDs sound better than most modern remasters.
I 100% agree on Rumours; not sure how it would be possible to improve on the original. That and Aja are some of the best-sounding records ever.

Hard disagree on the Beatles CDs though. The 2009 mixes are far superior IMO.

I 100% agree on Rumours; not sure how it would be possible to improve on the original. That and Aja are some of the best-sounding records ever.

Hard disagree on the Beatles CDs though. The 2009 mixes are far superior IMO.
This is all so subjective based on personal preferences and non-subjectively on hearing capacities, neural connections between ear/brain, etc. Opinions about sound quality are most helpful to me when they explain what someone prefers about one over another bc that helps me understand which I might prefer between the two.

my wife is gonna KILL me when she hears how many albums he is gonna be putting out...time to take out a loan!

also agreed on rumours. i LOVE the 45. KG does seem to say that he is probably being nitpicky. doesn't hate it at all and says he gets compliments on it all the time, just disagreed with Hoffman's EQ choices and he would have done some things differently.

You might have to get Boom Boom back in the basement and impress upon him how important it is to do no more than 2 albums a week.

I had an amazing thought; KG does a new 45 cut of Rumours with his own EQ choices & it sounds even better.

Back