Definitive Audiophile pressings

Have you spun this yet?

My UK copy arrived this afternoon, all looks fantastic, pressed at RTI. But just looking at cogs for this and the little girl blue reissue & there seems to be a lot of hate for the pressings. (I'm not sure I'll get a chance to clean it today).

RTI too. I do not trust any pressing plants right now with the sheer volume they're all working through. Even Pallas has been putting out bad runs with no fill etc. The only big plant I've yet to encounter any issues with remains QRP. But it's real bad right now in terms of consistency.

EDIT- After re-reading my post several minutes later I'd like to formally nominate this for "Most redundant and useless post of the month." With the highlight being "It's real bad right now in terms of consistency." Yeah DUH thanks Mather.
I'm going back to bed.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any of the recent Arthur Russell pressings? I have one on order but also wondering about World of Echo?

I have this one in storage. I'd have to check it first for condition, but do you want it (PIF style)? I never play it.

EDIT: records were stored in the paper sleeves they came in, but they look and play clean based on a few needle drops. I just changed the sleeves for lined sleeves. There is also a bit of a warp in both LPs that would have to be corrected with your fancy machine.

Last edited:
I have this one in storage. I'd have to check it first for condition, but do you want it (PIF style)? I never play it.

EDIT: records were stored in the paper sleeves they came in, but they look and play clean based on a few needle drops. I just changed the sleeves for lined sleeves. There is also a bit of a warp in both LPs that would have to be corrected with your fancy machine.
I would love that thank you!

This is a good one for the Canadians on here.

I just picked this up on sale at Amazon.ca for C$71.99, which I think is decent.

Amazon product ASIN B07HSLVBND
Pressed at Pallas and cut by Chris Bellman. My copy is already here. Looks great. I believe the sale is still on.

Any opinions from those that have it? I really like all the other Tom Petty / Chris Bellman cuts I have.

Have you spun this yet?

My UK copy arrived this afternoon, all looks fantastic, pressed at RTI. But just looking at cogs for this and the little girl blue reissue & there seems to be a lot of hate for the pressings. (I'm not sure I'll get a chance to clean it today).

Both of mine are perfectly fine! Nina and her friends had some pops and clicks but came out with the humminguru. I can check if they were off center or anything but I only really pay attention to that if the arm drifts wildly

This is a good one for the Canadians on here.

I just picked this up on sale at Amazon.ca for C$71.99, which I think is decent.

Amazon product ASIN B07HSLVBND
Pressed at Pallas and cut by Chris Bellman. My copy is already here. Looks great. I believe the sale is still on.

Any opinions from those that have it? I really like all the other Tom Petty / Chris Bellman cuts I have.
Looks like the same price with free shipping to US Prime members, so good deal here as well. I have this and don't recall having any issues with how it sounds--think sq was very good!

RTI too. I do not trust any pressing plants right now with the sheer volume they're all working through. Even Pallas has been putting out bad runs with no fill etc. The only big plant I've yet to encounter any issues with remains QRP. But it's real bad right now in terms of consistency.

EDIT- After reading my post back several minutes later I'd like to formally nominate this for "Most redundant and useless post of the month." With the highlight being "It's real bad right now in terms of consistency." Yeah DUH thanks Mather.
I'm going back to bed.
I noticed yesterday that a few of the Sam records represses were done at Optimal instead of Pallas because I think Fred was having issues with Pallas too.

Apparently nowhere is safe for a good press right now!

Have you spun this yet?

I don’t have that one, but I have the Little Girl Blue B&N exclusive and sold my AP 33 because it sounded better to me. Didn’t have any issues at all with it.

Just follow @Turbo's link and it looks like free shipping from Amazon.CA

EDIT: Looks like I'm wrong. I put it in my cart and tried to check out and received a message that it couldn't be shipped to my address. :(
Yea once I log in, it doesn’t show up at that price anymore. Oh well! Wallet is safe for now

Both of mine are perfectly fine! Nina and her friends had some pops and clicks but came out with the humminguru. I can check if they were off center or anything but I only really pay attention to that if the arm drifts wildly

I'm sure they will be fine, you can never go off the cogs comments

Books by Art and Laurie Pepper
Straight Life was co-written with Art and is one of the most harrowing accounts of an addicted jazz musician that I have read to date. It's a behemoth of a book and he really does not hold back on any aspect. By the end of it you will hate him, love him, feel enraged, feel saddened. Honestly, I would recommend it to anyone, even if jazz is not your thing.

I have yet to read Laurie's book but it's certainly one that I have been looking forward to getting. She basically took on the mantle of the custodian of Art's music since his passing. She sells and ships CD's directly from her garage and has been slowly releasing audiobooks of each chapter of Straight Life for a while now. While she is clearly dedicated I have also heard stories of her being incredibly steadfast in ensuring only she and people she approves releasing his music, to the point where someone on Instagram was supposedly hit with a threatening lawyer letter for posting a short video of Art playing live before he passed.

Straight Life was co-written with Art and is one of the most harrowing accounts of an addicted jazz musician that I have read to date. It's a behemoth of a book and he really does not hold back on any aspect. By the end of it you will hate him, love him, feel enraged, feel saddened. Honestly, I would recommend it to anyone, even if jazz is not your thing.

I have yet to read Laurie's book but it's certainly one that I have been looking forward to getting. She basically took on the mantle of the custodian of Art's music since his passing. She sells and ships CD's directly from her garage and has been slowly releasing audiobooks of each chapter of Straight Life for a while now. While she is clearly dedicated I have also heard stories of her being incredibly steadfast in ensuring only she and people she approves releasing his music, to the point where someone on Instagram was supposedly hit with a threatening lawyer letter for posting a short video of Art playing live before he passed.
I don't doubt that she is steadfast, since that fits well with what little I've read and seen of her. And I can't fault her for that, just generally speaking, and also because of how invested and involved she was in the latter part of Art's career. As long as she's not just sitting on all his music, keeping it from the public, more power to her. All indications are that the RSD box set was with her approval and involvement, which is an indication to me she's doing a good job.

Back