Definitive Audiophile pressings

Does anyone know any coupon codes for Acoustic Sounds? I recently got a lot of Analogue Production titles, but because my current cart has mostly OJC and Blue Note Classics Series pressings, they are all eligible for discounts! If anyone has any coupon codes, I'd love to know as I would at least save quite a bit which relives the international shipping costs! :)
They had a 10% off sale around Labor Day. Can you wait until Oct 11 or so for a Columbus Day sale?

Finding the legit early-mid 80s OJCs is a crapshoot though. 50% of the time if you order an 80s OJC on Discogs you get a repress from the 90s that has similar runouts but a different sleeve or something, which is frustrating but as long as it’s the AAA mastering it’s not a big deal

The AP of Waltz for Debby is probably the definitive version, but OJCs are really solid usually and for the prices, hard to beat those 80's ones. The newer pressings are probably digitally sourced, but find one with GH in the runout and those should be AAA. Nobody really seems to be able to pinpoint when the switch from AAA to digital happened with OJCs.

I think they have re-used the plates a lot, so bit of a crap shoot but a lot of the modern OJC presses I have sound great regardless

Last edited:
Discogs is your best friend when it comes to OJC pressings. You are able to find copies of the 80s versions fairly easily and at a good price. Also the modern OJC titles usually have pressing plant information listed. For instance, the recent 2011 Waltz for Debby pressing is out of RTI. I own it. It is wonderful. Great pressing, great sound. It is one of the best sounding albums in my collection, regardless of whether there is a digital step in the chain somewhere. Miles Davis Relaxin', also an RTI pressing. Sounds wonderful!

Other modern OJCs, (e.g., Bill Evans Trio Explorations), well... that was pressed at Rainbo. So, my copy has some sleeve scuffs that do cause some light surface noise. But I will recommend that people track down a copy of Explorations. Incredible album that seems to get overlooked by the Village Vanguard and Waltz for Debby albums, and so many others.

Regarding the $600 AP Bill Evans Boxset, I have been on the backorder list for 2 years now. Their customer sales rep told me that the last time they did a repress of the box, they only printed 15 copies total. Don't recall the exact reasoning, but I think it had to do with some licensing agreement. I don't expect to receive this boxset before my credit card expires in 2024. Ha ha. But I am ready to call Acoustic Sounds in 2024 and put a new card on file! :)

I really lucked out and grabbed the 1992 AP 33 of Waltz for Debby from Acoustic Sounds' discogs a few months ago. It was $50 shipped. It has a small seam split on the spine but I was fine with it for $50!

I wish I had known more about the OJCs earlier. They have really gone up in price a lot over the past few years. I tend to go for ones that don't have a bar code as those are more likely to be AAA but hard to know unless you have an unsealed one.

The Bill Evans Riverside box set is still on backorder from AS.

I might have to jump on it if it ever comes back into stock.
Maaan, i really hope they repress that box-set...

Ode5.gif

Discogs is your best friend when it comes to OJC pressings. You are able to find copies of the 80s versions fairly easily and at a good price. Also the modern OJC titles usually have pressing plant information listed. For instance, the recent 2011 Waltz for Debby pressing is out of RTI. I own it. It is wonderful. Great pressing, great sound. It is one of the best sounding albums in my collection, regardless of whether there is a digital step in the chain somewhere. Miles Davis Relaxin', also an RTI pressing. Sounds wonderful!

Other modern OJCs, (e.g., Bill Evans Trio Explorations), well... that was pressed at Rainbo. So, my copy has some sleeve scuffs that do cause some light surface noise. But I will recommend that people track down a copy of Explorations. Incredible album that seems to get overlooked by the Village Vanguard and Waltz for Debby albums, and so many others.

Regarding the $600 AP Bill Evans Boxset, I have been on the backorder list for 2 years now. Their customer sales rep told me that the last time they did a repress of the box, they only printed 15 copies total. Don't recall the exact reasoning, but I think it had to do with some licensing agreement. I don't expect to receive this boxset before my credit card expires in 2024. Ha ha. But I am ready to call Acoustic Sounds in 2024 and put a new card on file! :)
Also, I haven't seen anyone mention it yet, but some of the latest OJCs are supposedly pressed at QRP. When I'm interested in one, I search the UPC on Acoustic Sounds, and I've noticed a couple have the QRP logo on the page. Two examples off the top of my head are Wes Montgomery - Full House and Oliver Nelson - Screamin' the Blues.
Wes Montgomery-Full House-Vinyl Record|Acoustic Sounds
Oliver Nelson-Screamin The Blues-140 150 Gram Vinyl Record|Acoustic Sounds

I might pick up that Pepper too if the Amazon deal is still available…
It's still available and it's a great deal. In case anyone is interested, the copy I received fits this discogs listing perfectly:

According to this it was pressed at RTI and I can believe that because it sounds great, it's flat and it's quiet. At approximately $17 shipped, I'd suggest this is a no-brainer if you've been happy to pay $34-$50 and beyond for your jazz fix.

Amazon product ASIN B000000YIS
I also received the Oliver Nelson Verve Acoustic Sound Series album in the same shipment. Both records were individually packaged in tight cardboard mailers placed inside a larger box. There's something about just handling those AS records in their wrappers that's filled with anticipatory excitement.

It's still available and it's a great deal. In case anyone is interested, the copy I received fits this discogs listing perfectly:

According to this it was pressed at RTI and I can believe that because it sounds great, it's flat and it's quiet. At approximately $17 shipped, I'd suggest this is a no-brainer if you've been happy to pay $34-$50 and beyond for your jazz fix.

Amazon product ASIN B000000YIS
I also received the Oliver Nelson Verve Acoustic Sound Series album in the same shipment. Both records were individually packaged in tight cardboard mailers placed inside a larger box. There's something about just handling those AS records in their wrappers that's filled with anticipatory excitement.
I ordered it yesterday and it arrives tomorrow!

I was just spinning it again yesterday. I think it sounds great. I might get some of the others before the prices change…if they are still in stock that is. Don’t have any of the 33s
Anyone have the 33 or the 45 second helping pressing by chance ?

Back