Definitive Audiophile pressings

Quick shout out to @jamieanderson1968 who recommended a couple records that I just picked up.

Destroyer "Streethawk: A Seduction" (2010 10th anniversary 💥💥 pressing)

Wire "Pink Flag" (2018 reissue)

Both sound fantastic and got them for less C$30 each. [chef's kiss]
Good to hear. I am thinking I should give up getting an affordable 70s or 80s Harvest of Pink Flag anytime soon and grab that one.

Good to hear. I am thinking I should give up getting an affordable 70s or 80s Harvest of Pink Flag anytime soon and grab that one.

I've never heard an original pressing of Pink Flag so I have no frame of reference wrt vinyl (I did own it on cassette and CD over the years). That said, this pressing is well balanced and quiet. It shouldn't be expensive, so worse come to worst, it would do the trick while you try to find that OG.

I've never heard an original pressing of Pink Flag so I have no frame of reference wrt vinyl (I did own it on cassette and CD over the years). That said, this pressing is bell balanced and quiet. It shouldn't be expensive, so worse come to worst, it would do the trick while you try to find that OG.

Ill need to pick up the other two they did at the same time a couple of years back. All three got rave reviews. It also makes me want to listen to Elastica, I wonder why that is 🤔

Ill need to pick up the other two they did at the same time a couple of years back. All three got rave reviews. It also makes me want to listen to Elastica, I wonder why that is 🤔

I don't know if any other band has ever pulled off a trio of records like that: 3 records released in back-to-back-to back years, each sounding different from the last and all superb.

I don't know if any other band has ever pulled off a trio of records like that: 3 records released in back-to-back-to back years, each sounding different from the last and all superb.

I think the key is that in 1976 half way through their debut they already got bored of punk and started post punk lol. As much as I love the pistols, and particularly the clash, wire and the buzzcocks were the beginning of the really interesting stuff!

the 2016 from Optimal

Also, to add, there's some mention of sibilance in the Discogs comments. There is absolutely none on my copy with my set-up.

Ya, I've noticed. But I'm hoping not to let it become an obsession, lol. I'm watching the Norah Jones SACD box on eBay at the moment at $56 :)

Those have always been hideous

I have that Norah Jones box set. I paid list. It sounds fantastic. I’ve regretted not paying that little bit more for the vinyl ever since because it doesn’t seem like there’s a upper limit on pressing numbers on them, they keep coming back into stock…

I have that Norah Jones box set. I paid list. It sounds fantastic. I’ve regretted not paying that little bit more for the vinyl ever since because it doesn’t seem like there’s a upper limit on pressing numbers on them, they keep coming back into stock…
I have 3 of the 6 on vinyl, all APs, so If I can get it cheap enough on SACD that'll work.

I have 3 of the 6 on vinyl, all APs, so If I can get it cheap enough on SACD that'll work.

Beyond her debut its the exclusive covers album in the box that’s the standout for me actually so that does make sense. YMMV of course lol!

Tbh a big part of it is that I’m increasingly looking at getting out of CDs/SACDs and consolidating to vinyl & streaming/files. I’m a very singular individual and multi format collections mess with my head even though they totally shouldn’t.

Beyond her debut its the exclusive covers album in the box that’s the standout for me actually so that does make sense. YMMV of course lol!

Tbh a big part of it is that I’m increasingly looking at getting out of CDs/SACDs and consolidating to vinyl & streaming/files. I’m a very singular individual and multi format collections mess with my head even though they totally shouldn’t.
Oh, I completely get that, but I've always had a hard time accepting streaming outside of if I'm on the move or in my car. And again, the intent of the CD/SACDs is to fill in the vinyl at a more acceptable cost option when needed. I don't mind the 2 formats knowing that vinyl is the first and foremost option.

I don't know what the struggle is with streaming, I'm sure my demographic plays into a bit.

Oh, I completely get that, but I've always had a hard time accepting streaming outside of if I'm on the move or in my car. And again, the intent of the CD/SACDs is to fill in the vinyl at a more acceptable cost option when needed. I don't mind the 2 formats knowing that vinyl is the first and foremost option.

I don't know what the struggle is with streaming, I'm sure my demographic plays into a bit.

No I totally get you I prefer physical too. Streaming is my on the go option or for first listen on music discovery. I have a nice set up for it but it still pails into the background in the house. I really want a vinyl collection with streaming for work/car/on the move.

What I find with my CDs is that the more vinyl I buy and the less I go to grab them and more I forget them and some of the music that I have on them that I adore. It’s crazy from my point of view but there you go!

here's a strange one:

uses the AP plates apparently.

I actually have that specific pressing. I was actually looking to get the AP CCR's for a while (I ended up getting 3 of them when they were still available at Acoustic Sounds - expensive purchase that was) but I stopped searching for Cosmo's Factory when I realized I already had a copy using the same plates. It's pretty good but the LP came in a paper sleeve so there are some scuffs on the record (although not audible).

here's a strange one:

I have that one too. It’s fantastic! Bayou Country has a similar release too that uses the AP plates (KG and SH mastering). Much cheaper alternative than the AP pressings.

here's a strange one:

I grabbed this one which was the same plates as well back when Newbury wasn't as ridiculously priced as often.

Back