Definitive Audiophile pressings

This might be a question for the Bowie thread, but after picking up a green label Bilbo pressing of Hunky Dory a few weeks back and still being amazed at it, I did some googling. I'm really tempted to go down a Bilbo Bowie rabbit hole.

I'm eyeing up an expensive Ziggy, but could get a 1972 pressing a little cheaper. Even though I already have a great sounding Japanese pressing and the AAA 2016, when I listen to Hunky Dory I think I need a better Ziggy (the MOFI is out of my price range).

Does anyone have any of the Bowie Bilbo pressings? (I'm assuming @jamieanderson1968 has all the Bowie) Am I better chasing these, or going for early 70's or first pressings?

Steve Hoffman site looks as dismissive as ever, but this guy gets it.

Im not going to be any help here but I just looked on my discogs and it looks like I have a few of the Bilbo pressings. I dont have anything to compare them to, unfortunately.

I binged through the Bowie thread the other day and started to think that I might listen to some of the albums of his that I have. I would definitely say that im an amateur when it comes to Bowie, other than growing up hearing the same songs regularly.

Crazily back when I started buying records I would buy albums by the big name artists (Queen, Bowie, the Beatles, etc) at carboot sales and charity shops for 50p a time. It looks like I have 14 Bowie albums and I don't think I have played them more than once (a few are from my dad that he bought new). Now seems like as good of a time as any to start a deep dive.

Billy Joel’s The Stranger, WLP Bob Ludwig cut at Masterdisk. (Chef’s Kiss)

I’m not a huge Billy Joel fan but I do like this album and always thought it sounded pretty good but this is the best I’ve ever heard it. The copy I just got is a little staticky and might need a clean but the music just jumps out of the speakers. Highly recommend chasing down a Ludwig copy if you can find a clean one.

I’m not a huge Billy Joel fan but I do like this album and always thought it sounded pretty good but this is the best I’ve ever heard it. The copy I just got is a little staticky and might need a clean but the music just jumps out of the speakers. Highly recommend chasing down a Ludwig copy if you can find a clean one.

What's WLP? I've not heard that version.

I did pick up an old 80's Uk press, pretty sure it isn't Bob Ludwig, but sounds good. Then picked up the Mofi pressing a year or so ago, which sounds fantastic.

That pressing and master is fantastic. Best of the big 3 releases of his.
I'm sure Eddie Kramer put his heart and soul into these.

One of the great bargains out there as well, good on the family for not asking double and getting these out to the masses, younger generation, and geezers like me!. lol

No eta on Axis yet on Amz but I know a shop that has it for $4 more so will grab it next month either way

Last edited:
What's WLP? I've not heard that version.

I did pick up an old 80's Uk press, pretty sure it isn't Bob Ludwig, but sounds good. Then picked up the Mofi pressing a year or so ago, which sounds fantastic.
White Label Promo. There’s also standard releases out there with the “MASTERDISK RL” stamp as well. I just picked a promo since it was the same price as others releases on Discogs.

I’ve got the white label promo copy of this as well and agree completely. It’s a brilliant pressing of Billy Joel’s best album.

Saw this on my travels today. It's not on my want list at this price, but if anyone is looking for an apparently sealed Beatles MoFi Collection and this looks good to you, drop me a line and I'll provide you with the relevant contact info.

View attachment 105538
Vinyl grade is VG+ so I don't think it's actually sealed

No, no it's better not to know.

I don't want to know

I don't want HIM to know.

He only comes out at night and after that Bowie he has a taste for blood.

I won’t mention how good the few Beatles mofis I have are then. Or how much more than $999 buying them all individually will likely cost me because I’m dumb…

Back