Definitive Audiophile pressings

I'm still a bit miffed about the issues with the Coltrane set. I think they must have known about them, but just couldn't press any replacements sleeves, or boxes, so just sent them out anyway. Probably the same with Lateef.

It's shocking that they didn't manufacture any spare sleeves & boxes.
The way I see it is that every label regardless of how big should know to expect a small number of issues.

To not have ANY replacements at all is clearly a conscious decision, there's no way that during the process of manufacturing the One-Steps nobody suggested making more as replacements. No idea why they would do that unless they were just prepared to offer partial or full refunds. Not a great plan anyway because you are basically setting it up so that some people will always be dissapointed.

I would say that it sounds like the Lateef and Coltrane's were tests of sorts, and that going forward they will press more. Hopefully by that point they will realise that having replacement copies is worthwhile.

Anyone own these OJCs?

Are they worth the purchase or not as good as the other Miles OJCs?

The way I see it is that every label regardless of how big should know to expect a small number of issues.

To not have ANY replacements at all is clearly a conscious decision, there's no way that during the process of manufacturing the One-Steps nobody suggested making more as replacements. No idea why they would do that unless they were just prepared to offer partial or full refunds. Not a great plan anyway because you are basically setting it up so that some people will always be dissapointed.

I would say that it sounds like the Lateef and Coltrane's were tests of sorts, and that going forward they will press more. Hopefully by that point they will realise that having replacement copies is worthwhile.
Raises the logical question: If in fact they do produce extras, what's the chance they're depleted in the process of quality control? Wouldn't speak well for the production process, but it is possible that the fact there are no replacements does not mean no extras were made.

@Ghost I have that blue New Miles Davis Quintet OJC but not the craft version, I have the original 1983 OJC (got it for $20 VG++ last month) and it sounds wonderful. Both the music and the mastering. If the modern OJC is anywhere near the SQ of the '83 version it is well worth a purchase, but get the 83 version if you can find it.

Raises the logical question: If in fact they do produce extras, what's the chance they're depleted in the process of quality control? Wouldn't speak well for the production process, but it is possible that the fact there are no replacements does not mean no extras were made.
I believe the noted QC would be at the plant. Generally labels order extras for replacements in cases like these. If the plant had to throw a bunch away due to their QC, they would press more to fulfill the original quantity ordered.

I don't think any label is just going to throw away deficient pressings and eat the cost if it is the plant's fault.

If the reason the plant couldn't press more is that they could only press 1000 on the stamper, the "limited to" quantity should have been reduced imo.

Last edited:
@Ghost I have that blue New Miles Davis Quintet OJC but not the craft version, I have the original 1983 OJC (got it for $20 VG++ last month) and it sounds wonderful. Both the music and the mastering. If the modern OJC is anywhere near the SQ of the '83 version it is well worth a purchase, but get the 83 version if you can find it.
Going to do some cogs digging! Thanks man

To be hones I suspect they will get their act together for the future releases. It's going to depend on what titles are available for me (and probably a bigger influence is how much I should spend on vinyl, now that I'm finally coming out of lockdown).
Why would they bother? They sell out instantly!

Reactions: .Z.
like the MOFIs they'll start doing pressings of 6 - 10,000. I doubt they will sell out as quick
Also, it’s a new entry in the audiophile market where reputation matters. If they become known as not living up to their (very high) price point eventually people will stop paying the premium asking price.

Most OJCs at least until the late '80s sound great, especially if they have "GH" in the dead wax. Supposedly, they're all AAA, too, despite what it may say on the sleeves, but my only source for that is an old thread on the Hoffman forum. All I can say for sure is that I'm happy with the OJCs I have. Up until about five years ago, they were pretty thick on the ground at $10-20 a piece, and I used to grab them whenever I saw them.
Yeah, now people are getting $30-40 for them If in great condition.

Also, it’s a new entry in the audiophile market where reputation matters. If they become known as not living up to their (very high) price point eventually people will stop paying the premium asking price.
History shows that this is not true. Look at all the complaints here about pressing quality, VMP CS, and just about any label. None of those people stop buying.

And if they keep pressing quantities low enough to keep instantly selling out, with little or no replacement copies, it will easily continue.

History shows that this is not true. Look at all the complaints here about pressing quality, VMP CS, and just about any label. None of those people stop buying.

And if they keep pressing quantities low enough to keep instantly selling out, with little or no replacement copies, it will easily continue.
K dude, we’re probably gonna have to agree to disagree on this one. VMP is over-priced for sure but it’s not an audiophile brand and as overpriced as much of their shit is, it’s not $125 for a single disc overpriced. It won’t happen instantly but if they fuck up enough the consumers will go elsewhere. That’s how a free market works.

K dude, we’re probably gonna have to agree to disagree on this one. VMP is over-priced for sure but it’s not an audiophile brand and as overpriced as much of their shit is, it’s not $125 for a single disc overpriced. It won’t happen instantly but if they fuck up enough the consumers will go elsewhere. That’s how a free market works.
Sorry friend, but VMP is for sure an audiophile label - AAA, RKS, QRP...that makes it an audiophile product for me, on a par with MOFI, AP or any others.
So far, fucking up at $125 hasn't cured FOMO or collectors OCD. In fact, the free market enables it and relies on it.

Sorry friend, but VMP is for sure an audiophile label - AAA, RKS, QRP...that makes it an audiophile product for me, on a par with MOFI, AP or any others.
So far, fucking up at $125 hasn't cured FOMO or collectors OCD. In fact, the free market enables it and relies on it.
LOL! Definitely gonna agree to disagree with you on this but you do you bro. I am sure VMP would love for more people to share this POV. Enjoy your super broad definition of “Audiophile”.

Gonna have to agree with TLK on this one. They put out some audiophile product, but it’s usually just a different color of the same audiophile product available elsewhere for $10 less. Their brand is putting their logo on a different color variant, making some numbered with their OBI strip, maybe an art print and a cocktail recipe. VMP has released their fair share of utter horseshit.

Gonna have to agree with TLK on this one. They put out some audiophile product, but it’s usually just a different color of the same audiophile product available elsewhere for $10 less. Their brand is putting their logo on a different color variant, making some numbered with their OBI strip, maybe an art print and a cocktail recipe. VMP has released their fair share of utter horseshit.

True for most of what they do but to be fair the Classics series over the last few years includes a lot of AAA QRP Ryan Smith stuff is on black wax and often first time remastered/pressed in a long while. At that point, it's pretty close to AP.

True for most of what they do but to be fair the Classics series over the last few years includes a lot of AAA QRP Ryan Smith stuff is on black wax and often first time remastered/pressed in a long while. At that point, it's pretty close to AP.
Yeah that’s a fair point that I didn’t consider. Or, as I would say at work, “noted”. 😉

Back