Definitive Audiophile pressings

View attachment 93864

Well I had the phone in my hand when the restock email arrived.

And I had the item in my shopping cart already waiting for the email.

Less than 15 seconds. And out of stock😠

Note: time stamp above is after several tries. Email arrived at 4pm local time. and it was still 4pm when it showed sold out.
So no set time? Just whoever was looking at their inbox?

I have a copy of this and absolutely love it. Not perfect condition, but decent price nonetheless

Good to hear this is one you're happy with. I've been watching these listings from Acoustic Sounds on discogs and wondering how many of these are returns. Kind of nice for them that they can ask well above retail (which is $34.98) for an imperfect item that should be available again, new, some time in the future (marked as backordered, but orders can be placed for it on their website). And yet I get it, and if it was a MoFi I wanted to own, I might just go for it. (I did jump on an Analogue Productions listing that may or may not have been a bit overpriced :D.)

I've been watching these listings from Acoustic Sounds on discogs and wondering how many of these are returns.
I think this is where they put many if not all returns. I returned this Speakers Corner "That's the Way of the World" (Earth, Wind & Fire) due to seam split and warping, and they listed it for less than retail a week later -- without mentioning the warping. Perhaps they flattened it.

As someone else mentioned, their pricing on Discogs is interesting. They put up Phish "A Live One" today for $125 in good shape, and it's a steal at that price based on current pricing (not a steal at original retail pricing). I didn't buy it bc it's a GZ press, but I knew someone would quickly, and that's what happened.

Yes, these are definitely returns as I’ve seen a few of mine pop-up. I hope the person that bought them is a lot less picky than I am as I would not have graded them nearly as high and would have disclosed a few more issues. These are definitely being sight graded and not play graded.

I have a copy of this and absolutely love it. Not perfect condition, but decent price nonetheless

Good to hear this is one you're happy with. I've been watching these listings from Acoustic Sounds on discogs and wondering how many of these are returns. Kind of nice for them that they can ask well above retail (which is $34.98) for an imperfect item that should be available again, new, some time in the future (marked as backordered, but orders can be placed for it on their website). And yet I get it, and if it was a MoFi I wanted to own, I might just go for it. (I did jump on an Analogue Productions listing that may or may not have been a bit overpriced :D.)
If it wasn't for the "audible scratch" I would have grabbed this.

I just realized that my comments were more in reference to Supertramp's Breakfast in America that Acoustic Sounds also has listed on discogs, for $50. My bad! (though the general thoughts still hold). That $25 listing for Crime of the Century does seem reasonable. (Hope they accept your $20 offer @Sonicpharmacist.)

I just realized that my comments were more in reference to Supertramp's Breakfast in America that Acoustic Sounds also has listed on discogs, for $50. My bad! (though the general thoughts still hold). That $25 listing for Crime of the Century does seem reasonable. (Hope they accept your $20 offer @Sonicpharmacist.)

Ah no worries. I totally agree with you and I'm getting a bit tired of this type of shadiness coming from retailers like AS and MD. I'm not sure where AS is getting the older stock they are posting, but I've found some decent deals here and there with it.

@Sonicpharmacist FWIW, I have a MoFi copy of Crime of the Century in similar condition that I took a chance on and I don't regret it one bit. I hope they accept!

Ah no worries. I totally agree with you and I'm getting a bit tired of this type of shadiness coming from retailers like AS and MD. I'm not sure where AS is getting the older stock they are posting, but I've found some decent deals here and there with it.

@Sonicpharmacist FWIW, I have a MoFi copy of Crime of the Century in similar condition that I took a chance on and I don't regret it one bit. I hope they accept!
Yeah I keep hearing how great the MoFi CotC is, and I need to get it eventually. Hide In Your Shell is probably my favorite track on the record, so 30 seconds of ticking would suck, but to get it for $20 I’d put up with it.

Here's a great one that I don't think I've seen mentioned on here before.

The 2018 and 2019 Run Out Groove reissues of Baby Huey "The Living Legend".

Mastered and cut by Chris Bellman and AAA from what I understand. Pressed at Record Industry. There's a RSD version with the instrumentals as extras and a later issue without. I have the 2019 issue without the extras and it sounds fantastic. I don't know what others who have this think, but I would recommend if you come across a copy.

Mastered and cut by Chris Bellman and AAA from what I understand. Pressed at Record Industry. There's a RSD version with the instrumentals as extras and a later issue without. I have the 2019 issue without the extras and it sounds fantastic. I don't know what others who have this think, but I would recommend if you come across a copy.

Great reissue. Need to spin that again.

Great album. I have a different pressing and this reminds me to give it a listen again!

I'm not sure if it is shadiness, or more a case of buyer beware and get informed before buying. Big box online retailers like AS and MD have warehouses full of deadstock from returns, and no outlets to shift them out and recoup on the wholesale cost. They have to go somewhere. I would think it fairly rare that they would simply trash a return.

There is no way they would be able to catalog and individually identify the specific defects on every one of (at least) hundreds or thousands of returns. Some, probably a fair proportion, may have no defects at all - just sent back by some asshole with a shitty or badly calibrated setup, or some visual defect that an obsessive type trumped up into something major, or a bent corner. l bet a record someone returns claiming pops and clicks on their Crossley may well be flawless on a decent setup. You take your chances - that's why they are discounted.

Amazon does this too - those 'warehouse deals'. Buyer beware. They are cheaper for a reason, or often, several reasons.

Personally, I would not save a few bucks to end up with someone else's problem, or take my chances rolling the dice on getting lucky that it was a return without justification and not strike out.

Back