Definitive Audiophile pressings

I'm not entirely sure which pressings are the "smiley" EQs and don't have any direct comparisons between modern MoFi and ones from that era, but the Ziggy Stardust MoFi in particular sounds really great to me. It's quiet and the separation and soundstage on it is amazing. I don't have a UK original Ziggy which is highly regarded, but I do have an early US press and the MFSL is way better. As with most things on Hoffman, some people seem to claim that the MFSL is incredible, while other people say its unlistenable. The discogs reviews of it are all pretty great. I'm not sure when the smiley EQ era supposedly stopped and started.

I have the 1979 MFSL of American Beauty which sounds great to me as well and was also on the JVC supervinyl formula. Part of me wishes I had modern copies and older copies of some of the titles on MoFi to do a more direct comparison but at least Ziggy, Music from Big Pink and American Beauty sound great to me. I wouldn't say I am an expert by any means though!
Yeah that just stood out to me becauze it seemed so unanimous. Could just be because Hoffman shares that opinion and nobody wants to argue with him though.

Have you compared your Ziggy to the AAA 40th/box set press? Just curious how they compare.

Yeah that just stood out to me becauze it seemed so unanimous. Could just be because Hoffman shares that opinion and nobody wants to argue with him though.

Have you compared your Ziggy to the AAA 40th/box set press? Just curious how they compare.
There are definitely people on Hoffman who take everything he says as gospel. I don't know that I have many Hoffman-remastered albums that I truly love and I think he sometimes has personal biases in what he likes and what he doesn't, so I always take what he says with a grain of salt. I do really want to track down some DCC pressings though...I really regret not going after a decently priced copy of Al Green's Greatest Hits on DCC but...

The only pressings I have of Ziggy were an early US RCA and this MFSL. I was between the 40th and MFSL but managed to find the MFSL for $40 which was cheaper than I saw the 2012 reissue for at the time so I went for the MFSL.

There are definitely people on Hoffman who take everything he says as gospel. I don't know that I have many Hoffman-remastered albums that I truly love and I think he sometimes has personal biases in what he likes and what he doesn't, so I always take what he says with a grain of salt. I do really want to track down some DCC pressings though...I really regret not going after a decently priced copy of Al Green's Greatest Hits on DCC but...

The only pressings I have of Ziggy were an early US RCA and this MFSL. I was between the 40th and MFSL but managed to find the MFSL for $40 which was cheaper than I saw the 2012 reissue for at the time so I went for the MFSL.
The main reason I got the 5 years box, albeit at a bargain price, was because that pressing was in there, hoping the rest of the mastering would be as good, which it wasn't really unfortunately, but not bad. That version beats my random mid 70s USA press, but that's all I've had the opportunity of comparing it to. I think of course it was then pressed individually and is still widely available I believe.

Edit: looks like although Fremer likes it, he prefers the MoFi and also isn't sure if it is AAA, which is surprising, I though that had been established, not sure.

The main reason I got the 5 years box, albeit at a bargain price, was because that pressing was in there, hoping the rest of the mastering would be as good, which it wasn't really unfortunately, but not bad. That version beats my random mid 70s USA press, but that's all I've had the opportunity of comparing it to. I think of course it was then pressed individually and is still widely available I believe.

Edit: looks like although Fremer likes it, he prefers the MoFi and also isn't sure if it is AAA, which is surprising, I though that had been established, not sure.

Interesting. Not sure why Fremer says it might not be AAA. Super Deluxe Edition said: “The label has confirmed to SDE that as far as the vinyl is concerned “everything is remastered from analogue except for a couple of tracks on Re:Call where we had no analogue source available.”

it’s a bit disappointing to hear that the box set isn’t great as I have had my eye on it for a bit. The pressing of Ziggy I had considered buying instead of the MFSL was this one:

Interesting. Not sure why Fremer says it might not be AAA. Super Deluxe Edition said: “The label has confirmed to SDE that as far as the vinyl is concerned “everything is remastered from analogue except for a couple of tracks on Re:Call where we had no analogue source available.”

it’s a bit disappointing to hear that the box set isn’t great as I have had my eye on it for a bit. The pressing of Ziggy I had considered buying instead of the MFSL was this one:

Yeah the Ziggy in the box and this one is a straight repress of that one.

The box isn't bad, I'm glad I have it, but I wish they had gone the full AAA route like the Kinks and Beatles box. I still feel like I need to track down some best (or better) pressings eventually but I'm happy for now. Definitely wouldn't pay the crazy markup on it though!

Ok, so aside from the OG what's the consensus best newer Ziggy press?
The 40th is the best available pressing if I’m not mistaken. The 2016 reissues use that mastering too unless I’m completely wrong. I have the 40th and it sounds awesome. I’ve never played the tracks on the DVD that came with it but I’m sure they’re great. I like it better than my US OG. Never heard other copies of it.

The 40th is the best available pressing if I’m not mistaken. The 2016 reissues use that mastering too unless I’m completely wrong. I have the 40th and it sounds awesome. I’ve never played the tracks on the DVD that came with it but I’m sure they’re great. I like it better than my US OG. Never heard other copies of it.
The 2016 (as well as the box set) use the same plates as the 40th. So, not just same mastering, represses.

Ok, so aside from the OG what's the consensus best newer Ziggy press?
As noted, the 2016 reissue is supposed to be a repress of the 40th anniversary vinyl. Looks like that repress is available at Target, and part of their sale:

The 2016 (as well as the box set) use the same plates as the 40th. So, not just same mastering, represses.
Ok thanks, I see one of the 2016's has a different matrix with likely digital mastering... but it's the same barcode that's gunna make it tough...

Well that's annoying!
I HATE it when they do this. It's the same with like 5 different Buckley "Grace" pressings that all have different mastering but share the same barcode. But only ONE of them is the Kevin Gray master. Took a while to sort that one out.

Do you enjoy all of them? I haven't heard any, but it seems like most of the guys over at sh.tv do not like the "smiley" eq mastering choices at all. I've never seen a vintage MoFi recommended as a best pressing over there. Or is that smiley eq a shorter period in the middle of their life than I realized and not back to the beginning? The reviews typically seem to have a much higher opinion of the modern ones.

SH forum can be a cult of personality at times and there are also a few posters who monopolize the forums and continue to repeat “the gospel of Steve”. The early MFSL issues are fine. If they sound good to you on your system that is all that matters. Do some have slightly boosted bass and/or treble? Probably. But some of them slam and nearly all of them are the quietest pressings in my collection. The “smiley” EQ argument is overblown.

The “smiley” EQ argument is overblown.
I agree with this as well from my somewhat limited experience. I have picked up a few of these japanese late 70s/early 80s MFSL pressings and maybe I just got good titles, but I'm a fan. I have about 25 MoFis now total and the Ziggy Stardust might be one of my favorites. I don't have the best ear maybe in terms of EQ or what to listen for in pressings but they are quiet and Ziggy has great separation and overall soundstage.

Just looking through my shelves, but of the early MFSL, I can recommend without reservation:

Abbey Road & Sgt Peppers single releases (also have the box and nearly all of thos are good, but go to the mono box for most early Beatles now)

Blind Faith
Bowie Rise & Fall and Lets Dance
Clapton Slowhand / Derek & the Dominos In Concert
CSNY Deja Vu (beats the Classic)
Dead American Beauty (I mean the orignal MFSL 33 here, but the MoFi 45 is top of the heap, but probably have 10 copies of this album)
LZII (I prefer this to the RL and Classic)
Marley Exodus & Catch A Fire (probably overdone bass, but these just sound right with pumping bass)

And many more...

I have a general question...

Why are OG pressings still typically regarded as better than a reissue? I realize this won’t apply to all, but seems like the majority.

I assume when a reissue is AAA and cut by Gray or Grundman to target the modern “audiophile” that they would be better - or as good but virgin, and with several decades less dust and grime.

I HATE it when they do this. It's the same with like 5 different Buckley "Grace" pressings that all have different mastering but share the same barcode. But only ONE of them is the Kevin Gray master. Took a while to sort that one out.
Really? I have a repress from whenever/wherever, and I assumed they were all about the same. Mine sounds really great. Super quiet, really dynamic. If I DON'T have the KG cut, I would love to hear how good that sounds. I would pay extra for his version of that album in particular. Acoustic Sounds lists a 45rpm version that, for a millisecond, I thought was in stock and got soooo excited.

EDIT - @Mather what's the tell tale info that let's you know it's the KG version?

Really? I have a repress from whenever/wherever, and I assumed they were all about the same. Mine sounds really great. Super quiet, really dynamic. If I DON'T have the KG cut, I would love to hear how good that sounds. I would pay extra for his version of that album in particular. Acoustic Sounds lists a 45rpm version that, for a millisecond, I thought was in stock and got soooo excited.

EDIT - @Mather what's the tell tale info that let's you know it's the KG version?
Check yo deadwax. Look for the KPG @ CA etching. You can also look for the date on the back of the jacket should be 2010 only, but the etching is the only surefire way to tell.

Yeah the 2 LP 45 is ORG and mastered by Grundman and pressed at RTI. It's the holy grail of "Grace". Some people on here have it. I am not one of those people.

Just looking through my shelves, but of the early MFSL, I can recommend without reservation:

Abbey Road & Sgt Peppers single releases (also have the box and nearly all of thos are good, but go to the mono box for most early Beatles now)

Blind Faith
Bowie Rise & Fall and Lets Dance
Clapton Slowhand / Derek & the Dominos In Concert
CSNY Deja Vu (beats the Classic)
Dead American Beauty (I mean the orignal MFSL 33 here, but the MoFi 45 is top of the heap, but probably have 10 copies of this album)
LZII (I prefer this to the RL and Classic)
Marley Exodus & Catch A Fire (probably overdone bass, but these just sound right with pumping bass)

And many more...
You prefer the MoFi LZII to the RL press??? :oops: I’ve never heard it but I cannot imagine a better sounding hard rock album than that. It’s like the template on how hard rock should sound imo. I’ve had several RL copies but prefer the Monarch pressing. I’ve never heard a clean one though and probably never will. All of mine have been VG or worse.

I also did like the Original American Beauty MoFi that I had for a long time but the OG press does it for me. Can’t really go wrong either way with that album. I’ll hopefully get the 45 if it comes back in stock. I also prefer the 70’s pressing -4, -3 matrix Abbey Road . The MoFi seemed bloated on my system even though it’s a bass heavy album at times.

I have a general question...

Why are OG pressings still typically regarded as better than a reissue? I realize this won’t apply to all, but seems like the majority.

I assume when a reissue is AAA and cut by Gray or Grundman to target the modern “audiophile” that they would be better - or as good but virgin, and with several decades less dust and grime.

It depends. Some people simply like hearing albums "the way they were meant to be heard". That's always a topic that comes up especially with jazz and Blue Note. Would RVG have made different choices if he had access to today's tech? Would it sound better? Original Blue Notes tended to be cut very hot and they sound awesome. The MMJs sound very different. Still great, but just different. Every time a new engineer cuts laquers, it's likely a different sound, even if it's slight.

And different people like different mastering. There have also been different trends in mastering such as smiley face EQ we were talking about above where engineers boosted the lows and highs and lowered the midrange. You also had different vinyl formulations and different QC over the years. There are tons of factors. Sometimes the value simply comes from having an OG press in good condition being harder to find.

Back