Definitive Audiophile pressings

She's done stuff for Foo Fighters, too.

I don't think she cuts lacquer, tho.

She's done stuff for Foo Fighters, too.

I don't think she cuts lacquer, tho.

Do you have any info on her? 'Vinyl cut by' certainly implies she does the lacquer but isn't entirely explicit. Could that mean something else?

I was trying to find out of Emily Lazar does the vinyl or just the studio mastering. The internet just bought me back to Big Kev, apparently he's also don't the Forest Gump soundtrack & had it pressed at RTI

Do you have any info on her? 'Vinyl cut by' certainly implies she does the lacquer but isn't entirely explicit. Could that mean something else?

That usually means they cut the Lacquer since the vinyl isn't what is cut. Could be an error in crediting on the release.

I just don’t see any runout etchings from her...nor does The Lodge have much of a website

That usually means they cut the Lacquer since the vinyl isn't what is cut. I just don’t see any runout etchings from her...nor does The Lodge have much of a website

I couldn't find anything really. I can't read the run out markings in Goldfrapp record, there is something there but it is to faint in the yellow vinyl. (there are some quite clear etched numbers, but nothing to do with who cut the lacquer).

I gotta say, this has got to be one of the nerdiest threads on here with people counting how many KPGs and RKSs and BGs they have 😂. Instantly added it to my Watch list 😂

I'm here for the cheap gems. Recently picked up the KG Curtis Mayfield and was really impressed. Got the Aretha on the way now!

I gotta say, this has got to be one of the nerdiest threads on here with people counting how many KPGs and RKSs and BGs they have 😂. Instantly added it to my Watch list 😂

I'm here for the cheap gems. Recently picked up the KG Curtis Mayfield and was really impressed. Got the Aretha on the way now!
Definitely agree. My goal is to try and buy the best sounding pressing at the lowest price. Boom Boom often hits that sweet spot.

Just got notice that Young, Gifted and Black has landed on my doorstep

A few years ago I 'won' a copy of the 2009 MOFI 2lp Beck Sea Change for around £60 on eBay. It would have been my first MOFI and the reviews tend to be fantastic, with people saying its the best sounding record they own etc. I was really excited for it.......until it was lost in the post. For months both me and the seller sent countless emails to the postal service to try and locate it with no luck. I got a full refund but im still gutted about that one, goes for more than double that price nowerdays.
You just know some Postal Worker has been bobbing his head to that album for over a decade now.

I was thinking I might have an alignment issue after listening to some of the AS series records.

I think I have a pressing defect on the Getz/ Gilberto. Sounds amazing except for 2 bits on one track where there is a grating sound. I’ll put it through for a a 3rd clean, hopefully that will help.

All of the AS series I’ve had have needed thorough cleaning, whilst they sound great, I don’t think they are produced in the same way as some of the AP albums I have.

I’m wondering if they are all cut a little hot and I need to spend more time on the TT set up, maybe get a microscope & a test record. Spend some hours learning more about alignment and set up
Yeah that could be an alignment issue, but that grating sound could be stitching or no fill. You can usually actually see that on the vinyl, it looks like little lines in the grooves, where the grooves change. Generally where the vinyl hasn't properly filled the groove and you get a sound kinda like that. But I haven't had any issue with needing to clean the AS series any more than any other AP albums sooooo... yeah I'm not sure. Do you know around how many hours you have on your stylus?

Yeah that could be an alignment issue, but that grating sound could be stitching or no fill. You can usually actually see that on the vinyl, it looks like little lines in the grooves, where the grooves change. Generally where the vinyl hasn't properly filled the groove and you get a sound kinda like that. But I haven't had any issue with needing to clean the AS series any more than any other AP albums sooooo... yeah I'm not sure. Do you know around how many hours you have on your stylus?

It could be a bit of no fill, but I haven't heard of anyone else having issues. I'll have a closer look at it, but I didn't notice anything. The cleaning thing has definitely made a difference but my needle does tend to cry with slightest imperfections. With a lot of the AS records they just sound dead quite & smooth right of the sleeve.

It probably is the stylus. I'm not sure how many hours really but I've had it a few years. I feel I should look at making sure the set up is right anyway, but I should maybe be looking for another cart or stylus as well.

It could be a bit of no fill, but I haven't heard of anyone else having issues. I'll have a closer look at it, but I didn't notice anything. The cleaning thing has definitely made a difference but my needle does tend to cry with slightest imperfections. With a lot of the AS records they just sound dead quite & smooth right of the sleeve.

It probably is the stylus. I'm not sure how many hours really but I've had it a few years. I feel I should look at making sure the set up is right anyway, but I should maybe be looking for another cart or stylus as well.
Yeah I'm going on 2 years on my Black and while there's no way I listen to 10 hours a week of records which would put me in the replacement range, I do feel like I'm starting to hear a few more random tiny issues that are likely down to stylus wear.

Yeah I'm going on 2 years on my Black and while there's no way I listen to 10 hours a week of records which would put me in the replacement range, I do feel like I'm starting to hear a few more random tiny issues that are likely down to stylus wear.

Yeah, it's probably a similar story.

I believe a bunch of people like this one! Sorta depends on if you want to pay $100 for the UHQR or not. The MoFi is good but goes in and out of stock a ton. You just missed the yearly repress of it.

Pretty good Mono copy for $20 IMO. Luckily my vintage McIntosh amp has a mono switch which helps as well. Very popular on Amz btw, must of sold out twice while in my cart over 2 weeks!. But was restocked within a few days.

Btw, this was the first Amz lp shipped to me in the old poly bag with no packing! :confused: Corner was bent and bottom of cover roughed up, they sent me another in a box and got to keep the rough copy for free which I will hand down to someone for nothing.

Shout out to everyone @MikeH @Andy who recommended it and @Mather who helped verify I was ordering the correct item

Last edited:
Pretty good Mono copy for $20 IMO. Luckily my vintage McIntosh amp has a mono switch which helps as well. Very popular on Amz btw, must of sold out twice while in my cart over 2 weeks!. But was restocked within a few days.

Btw, this was the first Amz lp shipped to me in the old poly bag with no packing! :confused: Corner was bent and bottom of cover roughed up, they sent me another in a box and got to keep the rough copy for free which I will hand down to someone for nothing.

I have that version, I think it sounds pretty great. I would be interested if anyone has compared to the MoFi, I seem to hear mixed reviews with the mofi, some really like it but others not so much.

I have that version, I think it sounds pretty great. I would be interested if anyone has compared to the MoFi, I seem to hear mixed reviews with the mofi, some really like it but others not so much.

I always remember my Dad's old, normal, red/yellow label Columbia strereo pressing that was not correct pitch (from legend) and it was a toe tapper, If I see one in the shops that's clean and affordable I will grab it.

Spinning Public Enemy, gotta say it sounds really good. Dynamic, lots of separation, not muddy at all. If anything it's a little light on the bass, but honestly I think it's true to the original mix that way, these tracks weren't nearly as bass heavy as newer stuff. I'm really impressed. This is as good as any of the VMP RHH remasters, better than a lot of them...
Per you and this damn thread, picked up the PE and it sounds fantastic. Thanks for the rec!

Per you and this damn thread, picked up the PE and it sounds fantastic. Thanks for the rec!
Yeah man! I was shocked! I have some no fill on the final track but I think that track kinda sucks and I'll never play it so whatever, otherwise it sounds amazing! Has to be remastered although I can't find any details on it.

Back