Definitive Audiophile pressings

Back in stock: The half-speed mastered 20th anniversary edition of American Water by Silver Jews
Anyone compared this to the standard release?

I have the reissue and sounds really good. I don’t have the original for comparison sake but if you do and it doesn’t sound great and you love this LP it might be worth a shot. It a fairly cheap one to repurchase.
I actually have never had a problem with the sound, was just curious! I will spin it soon with it in mind and think about it.

I actually have never had a problem with the sound, was just curious! I will spin it soon with it in mind and think about it.
Yeah, I think the “upgrade” may be negligible. I don’t think the remaster alters the recordings noticeably from the the way I remember the songs back in MP3 and CD. Drag City does a pretty good job with most of their record pressings, nothing audiophile quality but solid pressings and this kinda fits in with that mold.

Yeah, I think the “upgrade” may be negligible. I don’t think the remaster alters the recordings noticeably from the the way I remember the songs back in MP3 and CD. Drag City does a pretty good job with most of their record pressings, nothing audiophile quality but solid pressings and this kinda fits in with that mold.
My money is probably better spent picking up another of the Silver Jews records I'm missing and keep forgetting to grab.

My money is probably better spent picking up another of the Silver Jews records I'm missing and keep forgetting to grab.
Word I would like to grab the rest of his catalog. I need Bright Flight, Lookout Mountains... and wish I had grabbed The Natural Bridge one of those times a few years ago that it was going for like $10 on Amazon.

I might have missed this, tried a search to no avail. The Stooges - Fun House, there a 2010 Rhino from OG tapes, but pressed at Rainbo. Guide me oh Brethren of the Pressings ;)

This is the one I have

I don’t remember it sounding bad, which is a positive in stooges land, but generally for me with this band quality isn’t a priory, turning it up really ducking loud is...

I might have missed this, tried a search to no avail. The Stooges - Fun House, there a 2010 Rhino from OG tapes, but pressed at Rainbo. Guide me oh Brethren of the Pressings ;)
Spinning now, aside from the bass being very forward in the mix, it sounds quite good for a Stooges album? Decent presence, Iggy sounds good, the mids are definitely pretty heavy handed. But honestly I'd take that over thin any day. For the cost I'm not sure you can do better...

Spinning now, aside from the bass being very forward in the mix, it sounds quite good for a Stooges album? Decent presence, Iggy sounds good, the mids are definitely pretty heavy handed. But honestly I'd take that over thin any day. For the cost I'm not sure you can do better...
Cheapest US copy on Cogs is $60

Whoa. I thought that was the wide release copy...

The Stooges - Fun House

Url: The Stooges – Fun House (2013, Gatefold, Vinyl)

I think that one is supposed to be good too. 2 LP as well...

Haha! That’s the one I posted 😂!

So it’s seems my lack of two fucks being given about stooges pressing quality so long as it sounds good loud has had no detrimental effect to the quality of my recommendation! Only cost me €11 on Amazon U.K. too 😱

if you're not in a hurry, MD has this one on awaiting repress, $18. Since Rainbo closed off (right, right?) you can expect a better pressing plant maybe.

I'm poking through my "Crate" list and I'm wondering the sound quality of these two Boss pressings, anyone have and or heard anything abou them? Or is this a one of those cases where holding out for a clean OG is the better option. I've come across both crate digging, so far their all beat to snot, but I'm sure they can be found.

I'm poking through my "Crate" list and I'm wondering the sound quality of these two Boss pressings, anyone have and or heard anything abou them? Or is this a one of those cases where holding out for a clean OG is the better option. I've come across both crate digging, so far their all beat to snot, but I'm sure they can be found.
I’d go for the reissues from the Vol 1 box set. I think they released most of them as standalone vinyl. (Or get the volume 1 box set if you want all those albums). I think the overall consensus is that all the albums in there are better than OG pressings except for Nebraska which is still great but not as noticeable an improvement.

I think this one should be the standalone from the box set:

And I think the one you posted for Asbury is the same series. Bellman cut

I’d go for the reissues from the Vol 1 box set. I think they released most of them as standalone vinyl. (Or get the volume 1 box set if you want all those albums). I think the overall consensus is that all the albums in there are better than OG pressings except for Nebraska which is still great but not as noticeable an improvement.

Yeah I have 4 of these (I have old pressings of The River and USA) and you’re right they’re great. Springsteen made some questionable production choices down the years, a lot of it is very loud, and I don’t know as such if it’s ever going to be mega audiophile.

Yeah I have 4 of these (I have old pressings of The River and USA) and you’re right they’re great. Springsteen made some questionable production choices down the years, a lot of it is very loud, and I don’t know as such if it’s ever going to be mega audiophile.
Thank you both, definitely the way to go with the 2 I'm missing, the box is pretty nice, but I'm not a huge Springsteen fan though I have a handful of albums I do like. I have an OG USA I'll have to listen to again and see how it sounds and a CBS Mastersound of Born to Run I'll have to check as well. At $24 a pop and the "credentials" on them, they seem more than adequate pressings.

Back