Definitive Audiophile pressings

For those looking for cheap KPG versions of classic albums, Popmarket has Cheap Thrills cheap:

KPG, RTI and great reviews on Discogs

Excuse me this is DEFINITIVE Audiophile pressings. There's a Mofi. And...

Oh never mind, I see its KG. Sometimes I forget this also works as a KG sub thread.

Oh never mind, I see its KG. Sometimes I forget this also works as a KG sub thread.

The thing is this thread was completely usurped... the original poster was actually asking a completely different question while mistakenly referring to a non-existent "Definitive Audiophile Pressings" label. Not sure what label was intended (maybe AP?).

Anyway, all this to say, this thread basically derailed because of that mistake in the title.

Happy mistake, because this thread is awesome, but mistake nonetheless.

Carry on.

The thing is this thread was completely usurped... the original poster was actually asking a completely different question while mistakenly referring to a non-existent "Definitive Audiophile Pressings" label. Not sure what label was intended (maybe AP?).

Anyway, all this to say, this thread basically derailed because of that mistake in the title.

Happy mistake, because this thread is awesome, but mistake nonetheless.

Carry on.
Haha I think I co-opted it originally thinking it was an AAA thread to discuss good pressings. 200+ pages later...OOPS. Yea looks like originally it was asking about the AS series!

I've never seen purported audiophiles assuming that MoFis are definitive without comparing them to other (even cheaper o_O) versions until recently. :p

Although, in my opinion, to represent the definitive title, this thread would be a discussion of pressing listening comparisons (which is a very small percentage of posts in here), but instead is just an available or upcoming audiophile reissue thread, which is of course also useful and why I follow it.

Well, you should know that my post was in jest.

But since you came at me like this! I didn't read a single record comparison.
Comparisons are great when you're talking "regular" priced LPs, when you start getting to the pricey stuff, I can't help but feel there are too many variables on the part of the person listening to form an opinion from what someone else says.

There have been plenty of pressings, both normal and "high end" that have been said to sound bad, and yet they sound great to me 🤷‍♂️

.......grains of salt everywhere ;)

Last edited:
I've never seen purported audiophiles assuming that MoFis are definitive without comparing them to other (even cheaper o_O) versions until recently. :p

Although, in my opinion, to represent the definitive title, this thread would be a discussion of pressing listening comparisons (which is a very small percentage of posts in here), but instead is just an available or upcoming audiophile reissue thread, which is of course also useful and why I follow it.
Shhhhh, this thread is perfect. Let's not turn it into Hoffman.

Well, you should know that my post was in jest.

But since you came at me like this! I didn't read a single record comparison.
I wasn't trying to come at you at all. It just seems strange to me that some people seem to assume that some audiophile reissues are "definitive" or inherently better, or worse, before hearing them, or others. That's all. Not that there is anything wrong with assuming they will be quality based on the labels track record, of course. I wasn't accusing you of doing that, just used your comment to make the observation.

The only thing I like(d) about the hoffman forums is that there seem to be several people on there who have had the time and money to listen to 20 different pressings of the same thing and share what they have learned. I think back when I used to participate in that forum at least, those people's assumption that a cheaper, quality, reissue (or original) could be as good as a fancy pants expensive audiophile one is a great exception that proves the rule that they are mostly snobs. I dunno if that has changed or not lately.

I really didn't mean any offense or targeted criticism, just nit picking in general based on the other observations that the title/original/current intent didn't match. I enjoy this thread.

Does anyone else not like MOFIs from an aesthetic perspective? I don't like the banner on the covers and the crusty old audiophile connotation. I remember thinking the same thing about those fancy gold CDs as a kid. I know they sound great, but they are just kinda ugly to me.
I don't feel strongly enough about it to not buy the ones I want, but I do agree their banner is a detriment to the cover art. Would rather it remained true to the artist's intent.

Does anyone else not like MOFIs from an aesthetic perspective? I don't like the banner on the covers and the crusty old audiophile connotation. I remember thinking the same thing about those fancy gold CDs as a kid. I know they sound great, but they are just kinda ugly to me.
Agreed, but they're not gonna change the design at this point, it's there "thing", lol

It doesn't bother me per se, but I wish they didn't do it.

Back