Definitive Audiophile pressings

I’m not gonna defend that price, but at least it’s the red vinyl version, limited to 500 copies, which has a high of $430 on Discogs and current low “for sale” of $679
Ya, but that's kind of the secondary problem, Cogs setting the price in this hobby which I still feel is manipulated to a point AND is targeting the uneducated or FOMO's with disposable income.

I'll stick to my BG QRP from 2017 that can still be had for under $30 and sounds fantastic ;)

Last edited:
Ya, but that's kind of the secondary problem, Cogs setting the price in this hobby which I still feel is manipulated to a point AND is targeting the uneducated or FOMO's with disposable income.

I'll stick to me BG QRP from 2017 that can still be had for under $30 and sounds fantastic ;)
The irony is that AS’s Discogs account used to have pretty sweet deals, and I took advantage of a bunch of them. It’s all changed, and AS is absolutely taking advantage of FOMO and glut of disposable income.

Agree it’s crazy. But this one is in “collectibles” territory.

Don’t worry. Somebody will send Chad a money order for this one 😂
I wonder if this stuff moves. I know he doesn't have that kind of cash in each of these. Maybe people will be this spend crazy but it seems like the mania is settling, to some extent at least.

The irony is that AS’s Discogs account used to have pretty sweet deals, and I took advantage of a bunch of them. It’s all changed, and AS is absolutely taking advantage of FOMO and glut of disposable income.
I got the AP 33 of waltz for Debby for $40 from them on discogs last year. I still swear some intern was listing stuff on there. They had GREAT deals.

I wonder if this stuff moves. I know he doesn't have that kind of cash in each of these. Maybe people will be this spend crazy but it seems like the mania is settling, to some extent at least.
it'll move eventually. there's a fairly large contingent of older folks who don't deal with discogs or ebay and would rather buy from Chad where they know it's graded properly. People also, for some reason, pay huge markups on sealed records (forget if the Petty is sealed without looking but I did see a bunch of sealed stuff).

Personally, I'd much rather have an unsealed copy that's verified to be NM from someone than shell out an extra few hundred bucks for something just because it's sealed. Especially with those Cisco reissues, which are excellent, but had some QC issues. The Guess Who - American Woman Cisco press is listed at $150. I bought an open NM copy from AS Vault discogs for something like $35 last year.

I see these links get posted on some "audiophile" facebook groups and people get so excited they need to change their pants.

it'll move eventually. there's a fairly large contingent of older folks who don't deal with discogs or ebay and would rather buy from Chad where they know it's graded properly.
I actually think the security of accurate grade, with very easy return policy if you’re dissatisfied (which AS offers, basically unconditionally), is worth a premium in the current market.
Edit: per yesterday’s discussion, I feel the same way about JRC’s ebay auctions.

I actually think the security of accurate grade, with very easy return policy if you’re dissatisfied (which AS offers, basically unconditionally), is worth a premium in the current market.
Edit: per yesterday’s discussion, I feel the same way about JRC’s ebay auctions.
yea-- i guess if I'm paying $400 for a record, may as well pay $450 for an accurate grade + easy return policy haha. but some have a crazy premium attached thats just not worth it. the sealed premium especially (not exclusive to AS) is crazy to me.

I’ve been burned lately w/ BS grading on both eBay and Discogs. I document each w/ photos and vids that I send to sellers and return every one of them.

But I’m also happy to report that I did have a good eBay transaction for the original Dolphy/Nelson “Straight Ahead” mono on New Jazz graded VG+. There’s a slight noise floor, but overall it sounds absolutely killer. Coincidentally, I’d been burned previously on a grade for the two-fer “Images,” which has both Straight Ahead and Screamin‘ the Blues and should be excellent when properly graded.

it'll move eventually. there's a fairly large contingent of older folks who don't deal with discogs or ebay and would rather buy from Chad where they know it's graded properly. People also, for some reason, pay huge markups on sealed records (forget if the Petty is sealed without looking but I did see a bunch of sealed stuff).

Personally, I'd much rather have an unsealed copy that's verified to be NM from someone than shell out an extra few hundred bucks for something just because it's sealed. Especially with those Cisco reissues, which are excellent, but had some QC issues. The Guess Who - American Woman Cisco press is listed at $150. I bought an open NM copy from AS Vault discogs for something like $35 last year.

I see these links get posted on some "audiophile" facebook groups and people get so excited they need to change their pants.

Yeah, stores like this make money because they're patient. They don't need to rush those records out. They'll probably be in the black when about 30-40% of it is sold anyway. It just needs time so that the correct buyer finds their item. The internet helps shorten that time a lot - and drove the prices up along the way, because they learn that that one buyer is always out there somewhere.

I've actually been pretty lucky with Cogs purchases. I find that no matter how clean a record looks from Ella, in a lot of cases they still require about 5 runs through the RCM before they play clean. Just 45 years of whatever on there I guess. I've got a couple of cogs wildcards in the mail right now that may lower my average, hoping they're good but these ones may be a miss. We'll see.

Back