December 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge: The Intergalactic Mixtape Dance-Off!

Day 30 – Holding Out For A Hero
I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the morning light. He's gotta be sure, and it's gotta be soon,
and he's gotta be larger than life.

Play your favorite album of 2022.

I didn't buy a lot of 2022 releases on vinyl, but I narrowed it down to 3...

Runners-up...

Tedeschi-Trucks Band - I Am The Moon
Mountain Goats - Bleed Out

Da winnah...

Willie Nelson - A Beautiful Time

This is probably my favorite 2022 release for a lot of predominately depressing reasons.

ABT comes across very much like Willie's goodbye. His voice has never sounded so road weary and this adds a realness, a vulnerability and a sense of mortality to his tunes that I've never really noticed in the past. While the patented Willie humor is on full display, the majority of the songs deal with death, loss, regret, love and gratitude. Even the album art has Willie headed for the light. At my age, some of this stuff is beginning to hit a little too close to home, hence the emotional connection to this record. Hope I can have a run as good as Willie...

20221230_014740.jpg

Last edited:
I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the morning light. He's gotta be sure, and it's gotta be soon,

I didn't buy a lot of 2022 releases on vinyl, but I narrowed it down to 3...

Runners-up...

Tedeschi-Trucks Band - I Am The Moon
Mountain Goats - Bleed Out

Da winnah...

Willie Nelson - A Beautiful Time

This is probably my favorite 2022 release for a lot of predominately depressing reasons.

ABT comes across very much like Willie's goodbye. His voice has never sounded so road weary and this adds a realness, a vulnerability and a sense of mortality to his tunes that I've never really noticed in the past. While the patented Willie humor is on full display, the majority of the songs deal with death, loss, regret, love and gratitude. Even the album art has Willie headed for the light. At my age, some of this stuff is beginning to hit a little too close to home, hence the emotional connection to this record. Hope I can have a run as good as Willie...

View attachment 162479

Amazing choice!
Best Willie album in about 25 years if you ask me - which you didn't.
Your assessment is absolutely spot-on. This is really a gem.

Day 25 – Guardians Inferno
Zardu Hasselfrau, Zardu Hasselfrau, hey.
I declare that Christmas is David Hasselhoff day this year! Play something somehow related to David Hasselhoff. Or play whatever you want. Anything goes.

Carolyn Mark & NQ Arbuckle – Let's Just Stay Here
View attachment 162130

Gonna go with this one because it's Carolyn Mark's birthday today. Also, she appears on the same compilation as the "David Hasselhoff" song I posted earlier!

Disappointed to learn this evening that Let's Just Stay Here is no longer on Stupify, so I'll be using the following song on my mixtape in its place, as I feel it carries the theme of the day for me:

Tomorrow is catch-up day!

Jenny Hval - Classic Objects

16723047974697967409678170455313.jpg

Speaking of Laurie Anderson...Jenny is the one to carry the torch.

"She has this way of bringing attention to all of the things that are so painful, unjust, and frightening about our existence, but then somehow with a motherly magic leaves you feeling held, understood, and less afraid. She’s also so good at bringing attention to all the beauty around us at all times. It just feels good to live in her musical/poetic/philosophical world."
- Patricia Wolf

Quite a few great albums this year, but I think I'll go with:

Nilüfer Yanya - Painless

Stabilise for the playlist

The Smile "A Light For Attracting Attention" (2022 XL)
Adding "We Don't Know What Tomorrow Brings" to the mix.

IMG_3327.JPG

The Afrosound of Colombia Vol 3

A change of tack. As @Turbo just took my 2022 album of the year, I thought I'd play my favourite reissue of the year. Vampi Soul is a fabulous reissue label in Spain that has put out a lot of stuff from the amazing Discos Fuentes in Colombia, including this superlative compilation. One to get the blood pumping ahead of tomorrow...

20221230_152343.jpg

Last edited:

This one is a bit tough since I am only play cds this month and I bought nothing recorded in 2022. So looking back on all the cds I purchased this year this boxset for me is the best thing I bought, and a pretty obvious selection for me. Hard to believe there is much left in the vaults, but these collections of demos etc that led up to Space Oddity (Conversation Piece), The Man Who Sold the World (Width of a Circle) and now Hunky Dory have all been very illuminating as a long time Bowie fan. I can't wait for them to do Ziggy as I want to hear a cleaned up version of early Trident demo sessions.

David Bowie - Divine Symmetry
IMG_1533.jpg

My purchase of net new albums in 2022 was pretty limited as well - and I had to take 5 albums out of consideration since you can't duplicate artists on a mixtape, so there goes King Gizzard. That being said, this is no consolation prize. Great instrumentation, layered vocals, sonic landscapes, and singular vision. Going with Allow on the mixtape as it's a sort of a dreamy way to start closing out the month.

Bjork ~ Fossora

1672436986761.png

Play your favorite album of 2022

I didn't buy many new releases on vinyl this year, kind of shifted how I'm collecting nowadays. Buying a record based on hearing one song is a rarity for me now compared to a few years ago....but this was one of those. So while it's not my favorite release of 2022, it's among my most spun because it just sounds great whenever I put it on.

IMG_3088.JPG

Play your favorite album of 2022

I didn't buy many new releases on vinyl this year, kind of shifted how I'm collecting nowadays. Buying a record based on hearing one song is a rarity for me now compared to a few years ago....but this was one of those. So while it's not my favorite release of 2022, it's among my most spun because it just sounds great whenever I put it on.

View attachment 162543

Nice! I didn't know this but it's definitely up my alley. Going to spend some time with this tonight.

Day 27 – Hidden Track
You know the game, and we’re gonna play it.
Play something popular that you never tire of hearing.

Third Eye Blind – Third Eye Blind
20221230_185610.jpg

"Semi-Charmed Life" may well be the greatest song about crystal meth and sex of all time. "Doo doo doo, doo doo-doo doo" is definitely some of my favourite doo-ing.

Horsegirl - Versions Of Modern Performance
7A849AB7-6F37-4EF1-B9C3-693B3B9B70A2.jpeg

This was my favorite release of 2023. A brilliant debut record. Burning guitar driven Indie Rock!

Back